Overview and History
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies has been called a visionary — a maverick leading a wave of change within the insurance industry. In business since 1937, Progressive is now one of the nation's largest auto insurance groups, and is the largest writer of private passenger auto insurance through independent agents in the country. We continue to offer unique, innovative products and services, including the following:
- In 1937, Progressive took the idea of fast, fair claims service to a new level and created the industry's first drive-in claims office.
- In 1956, Progressive set an industry standard by reducing rates for low-risk drivers with its Safe Driver Plan.
- In the 1970s, Progressive identified motorcycle insurance as a key product line.
- Progressive introduced 24/7 customer and claims service to the industry in the early 1990s. Today, it's the standard.
- In 1995, Progressive became the first major auto insurance group in the world to launch a Web site.
- In 1997, Progressive became the first to sell auto insurance online at progressive.com, allowing customers to purchase auto policies in real time online.
- In 2003, Progressive launched its concierge level of claims service, becoming the first in the industry to take responsibility for overseeing all elements of the claims/repair process on behalf of drivers involved in accidents, reducing the time they spend managing repairs from about four days to about 15 minutes.
- In 2006, Progressive expanded its concierge level of service to address the special needs of drivers whose vehicles are unrepairable as the result of an accident. Progressive's new Total Loss Concierge service helps customers find a replacement vehicle at a competitive price, and helps them find financing, too.
- In 2008, Progressive introduced MyRateSM, an innovative way to price car insurance that lets drivers get a customized rate based on how they actually drive. This optional program benefits safe drivers who deserve to pay less for car insurance because they're less likely to get into an accident.
Today, consumers can purchase insurance from Progressive online, by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE (1-800-776-4737), or through more than 30,000 independent agencies located throughout the U.S.
Our goal: To become consumers' number one choice for auto insurance.
Everywhere Progressive does business, we strive to price our policies as accurately and as competitively as possible.
Our rates are based on past claims experience and information about you, your vehicle and your driving history. We use information about you that we know helps us to better understand your chances of being involved in a future accident.
Because claims experience among auto insurance companies varies significantly, rates between companies can vary widely. In fact, rates for the same person from different companies can vary by hundreds of dollars a year.
Our advice to all drivers is the same: Shop around for the combination of price and services that fit your needs. With Progressive, you can shop online, by phone or with a local independent insurance agent.
Insurance for your Cars, Toys, Business Vehicles — and More
We provide insurance for more than just cars — commercial autos, motorcycles, boats, RVs and Segway® Human Transporters (HTs) are included in our insurance lineup/offerings. Plus, you'll receive the same level of 24/7 customer and claims service our car insurance customers have come to expect and appreciate.
- Commercial Auto - Progressive is the number one writer of truck insurance in the country and has offered business auto insurance, truck insurance and tow truck insurance for more than 25 years.
- Motorcycles - Progressive is the number one motorcycle insurer in the United States.
- Boats/PWC - Progressive insures boats and personal watercraft, providing specialized coverages for water enthusiasts across the country.
- RVs - Progressive covers motorized and non-motorized recreational vehicles with specialized coverages for a wide range of U.S. customers.
- Segway HTs - Progressive was the first to offer insurance for Segway HT owners.
Progressive is headquartered in Mayfield Village, Ohio, a Cleveland suburb. More than 27,000 Progressive people work in more than 600 offices throughout the United States, and they enjoy a unique work environment that encourages them to risk, learn, grow and perform.
Progressive has one of the country's largest contemporary art collections, which adds to a creative, thought-provoking work environment.
Our Core Values — Integrity, the Golden Rule, Objectives, Excellence and Profit — guide our business decisions every day, and our culture embodies an exciting, team-oriented workplace with an open mindset and diversity in people and ideas. This innovative, rewarding environment encourages Progressive people to achieve superior customer satisfaction and results.