When you complete a Progressive Direct® auto insurance quote, we give you the option to compare our Progressive Direct rate with rates for other top companies. Here's an inside look at how we're able to provide comparison rates for other companies — and why we do it.
Why you can rely on these rates
The rates you see here are what your state's Department of Insurance regulators expect each company to charge you, based on the information you provided.
Why Progressive provides comparison rates
Simply put, we want to make shopping for insurance easier for you. Rather than make you do all the work to get rates from several different companies, we show you our Progressive Direct® rate side by side with other companies' rates so you can see the variance before you decide on a company. We provide comparison rates to help you better understand what other companies would charge you for an insurance policy.
How we're able to provide comparison rates
Each state generally requires auto insurance companies to file their rates publicly. We research the state-filed rates for various insurance companies, then program those rates into our in-house comparison rating system.
We check regularly with each state's Department of Insurance to see if any of our competitors have changed their rates. If rates have changed, we obtain the new rates, reprogram our systems and retest the rates. If we find that a competitor has changed its rates and we think we may have given you the old rates, we will send an e-mail notifying you of the change.
When you complete a Progressive Direct quote, we use the information you provide about yourself, your vehicle and the other drivers on your policy to calculate the comparison rates we show you for other companies.
Things to remember about our comparison rating service:
- Auto insurance prices and products are different when purchased directly from Progressive or through independent agents/brokers.
- Each company uses a different set of factors to determine rates. You will have to enter additional information before we can provide you with comparison rates for other companies.
- The rates we provide through our comparison rating service assume that you have not been assigned to your automobile insurance company by the state and that none of the drivers you listed require a proof of financial responsibility filing. If you purchased your insurance policy through an assigned risk plan or anyone listed on your policy requires a proof of financial responsibility filing, your rate may be higher than the comparison rates we provide or you may not be offered a quote from those competitor companies.
- Sometimes we are unable to provide comparison rates due to changes in a company's rates, eligibility requirements or other factors. After we program the revised rates into our system, we are able provide them to you.
- You may be eligible for discounts from another company that are not factored into the rates we provide. You can contact that company directly for more information.
- Insurance may also be available to you from companies not included in our comparison rates.
Progressive cannot sell or give advice regarding policy contracts of other companies. If you have any questions, please contact that competitor or an authorized agent/broker directly.