Policy Up for Renewal Soon? Keep Two Things in Mind

Posted by Brittany Ritchey on 12/3/2009 at 9:00 AM

Recently, we responded to a tweet wondering whether a Progressive policy rate would go down if it’s renewed. Like many other budget-conscious shoppers, the person who tweeted had compared rates at renewal time to make sure he was still getting a good deal. So what happens if you find a lower rate elsewhere? Why keep the policy you have?

Here are two things to consider.

If you renew your current policy, you might qualify for benefits and discounts. Progressive customers who renew a policy, for example, might qualify for guaranteed renewal, large accident forgiveness, and a young driver discount. These benefits can vary by state.

Not all policies are created equal, so a lower price might not be a better value. For example, a lower-priced policy might not include extras such as 24-hour customer service. Your deductible also might be higher.

So if your Progressive policy is up for renewal and you want a better rate, here’s a great first step: Review your policy to see if you qualify for discounts or whether you can do something differently—like pay for your policy in full—to cut costs. You can review your policy anytime at progressive.com. Or, you can call a customer service representative.

Do you shop around at renewal time? What makes you stick around?

Comments

You guys need to start making sure to cancel a policy when a person request it to be cancelled instead of continuing to bill them and sending it to the collection agency. Severy complaints have been made about you guys doing this, just unfortunately i did not notice all of the complaints until you guys done it to me. I will spread the word for you.
Posted on 12/6/2009 at 5:03 AM by Michael Barrow
yes i would like to know why that my rates whent up they say the longer you have your policy your rates should go do or the same
Posted on 12/11/2009 at 9:06 AM by dannyeldridge
@dannyeldridge Multiple factors can impact your rate, so to find out what made yours go up, you should call a Progressive customer service rep (877-656-0914).
Posted on 12/11/2009 at 11:57 AM by Brittany R.
I would like to address the insurance industry as a whole. This may answer some of your bloggers questions with some truth and cander, I am sure it will be appreciated. #1) All insurance companies are in the business of making money and that is all they care about reguardless of what there commercials say. #2) Insurance companies have begun using credit and other consumer reports to rate policies. The reporting companies are in the business of making money so the more negative things they can say the better for them and the insurnace companies. #3) The reports more often than not are incorrect or incomplete both situations are bad for the consumer. ( Also there is no recourse but to try and correct the report and have it just revert back to its previous state. #4) Also these reports are weighted more heavily today than your driving record or accident experience. Also most companies are getting rid of there agency force that used to help consumers overcome these injustices. It also saves the company in payroll. #5) Many class action lawsuits have been filed against insurance companies for using credit reports imparticual, because there is no verifiable link between credit and accident experience. However because the vast majority of people with bad credit are also poor and the insurance lobby is among the richest in the world. The poor agian lose. #6) The insurance companies have also lost interest in going after people that commit insurance fraud, because it is no longer cost effective. It is easer and cheaper for the insurance company to lobby for higher rates aginst the poor and continue to line the pockets of the grifters. IF YOU THINK I AM WRONG WHAT DO YOU THINK MADDOFF'S PERSONAL CREDIT SCORE WAS ? Please understand that having people insured to drive cars is important but what should be a public service that spreads the risk has become a convoluted version of American Greed. Respectfully Jami
Posted on 12/13/2009 at 5:08 AM by Jami
@Jami Thanks for your comment. This page of Progressive.com (http://www.progressive.com/shop/car-insurance-credit.aspx) has more information about how credit information impacts car/vehicle insurance rates. If you have any concerns, please give us a call: 800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/15/2009 at 10:45 AM by Brittany R.
Why does progressive make it so hard to cancel your policy? Why isn't there a fax number easily found on this website?
Posted on 6/26/2010 at 8:16 AM by Tisha S.
@Tisha, We'd be glad to help you. Since cancellation requirements vary by state, the best thing to do is call us (800-776-4737), so we can help you get this taken care of quickly.
Posted on 6/29/2010 at 3:47 PM by Brittany R.
i tried to call and cancel and was told that we had to do this in writing...i am finding nothing on this website that is allowing me to do that...now, i see the above comment answer that says call us and we can do this for you? Please...give me a break...you people charge out of the butt and when someone needs to try to save a little money..you make that hard for them too.....
Posted on 8/24/2010 at 6:17 PM by nicole
It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes on hold to get to a rep. who can cancel a policy. Also I get that it is Progressive's goal to sell insurance but if I call with the express purpose of canceling a policy chances aren't good that I want to be talked into staying on.
Posted on 8/24/2010 at 9:41 PM by hope
Can you please stop dodging the question and just post your fax #?
Posted on 9/1/2010 at 4:17 PM by Amanda
<p>@nicole, We&rsquo;re sorry that we made it tough for you to cancel your policy, and that we lost your business. We hope you&rsquo;ll give us another chance in the future.</p>
Posted on 9/2/2010 at 12:09 PM by Brittany R.
<p>@hope, We&rsquo;re sorry that we couldn&rsquo;t take your call right away, and that we lost your business. We hope you&rsquo;ll give us another chance in the future.</p>
Posted on 9/2/2010 at 12:11 PM by Brittany R.
<p>@amanda, Unfortunately, depending on where you live, you'll have a unique process for canceling. We ask you to call, so we can give you the right information (including fax number) based on your location.</p>
Posted on 9/2/2010 at 2:56 PM by Brittany R.
UPDATE—Here are some additional details about our cancelation process: To request to cancel your Progressive policy, you can call or e-mail us (https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx). Then if your state requires you to submit a written cancelation request, you can use our general fax number, 1-877-280-5587, to do so (unless you bought your policy from a local agent). We're sorry for any confusion.
Posted on 9/28/2010 at 10:39 AM by Brittany R.
What is your fax number?
Posted on 10/5/2010 at 10:56 AM by nicki
@Nicki, Our general fax number is 1-877-280-5587 (unless you bought your policy from a local agent).
Posted on 10/5/2010 at 4:50 PM by Brittany R.
When I searched your website, here is the first place I found your fax number. Thanks for providing it. I recently switched over from another major company and am saving over $1100 a year. When I reviewed the factors used rating my policy, I found an error. I am faxing information that should result in my insurance premium going lower!! I'm so excited about switching over to Progressive and hope for nothing but positive experiences!!
Posted on 10/21/2010 at 10:00 PM by Nick Farlow
Progressive, The "email" address you gave the above customer to email for cancellation is not a valid address. I am ALSO finding it difficult to try and cancel my policy. Can you please give ma valid email address or phone number to contact someone? Otherwise, I'll have to option but to simply change my account # for my bank account to cancel my policy. Please don't try and make this difficult. Thanks
Posted on 3/16/2011 at 9:28 AM by Samantha Ruppel
@Samantha, We're sorry that we've lost your business. In order to cancel your policy, please call us at 1-800-776-4737. Or, copy and paste the following link into your Internet browser to submit your request via e-mail: https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx. All of our contact information is also accessible from the top right corner of our site, under "Contact."
Posted on 3/18/2011 at 8:59 AM by Progressive
Wow, I am a young tech savy individual and also am finding it difficult to cancel. Thanks Progressive for being such a pain. Here is a suggestion! If you are going to direct people to your "e-mail" (https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx) when they are inquiring about cancellation maybe you should list an appropriate option under your "select a topic" section. I would expect a large corporation to be professional enough to have little bugs like this figured out unless you are trying to squeeze a few more pennies out of customers who are trying to cancel. Seeing as there is no appropriate selection under the "select a topic" drop down, what would you suggest a customer like myself selecting?
Posted on 4/11/2011 at 10:32 AM by Ryan Dietrich
@Ryan, If you choose to cancel your Progressive policy, we prefer that you call us, so we can quickly review your options with you. But, for those who’ve requested our email, we do refer you to our Contact Us form, since we don’t have a general email address. If you're logged in to your policy, you can choose "I have a question about policy cancellation" on the Contact Us form. Otherwise, if you're not logged in, choosing “I have a question about my policy” topic is a good option, and regardless of what you choose, we’ll make sure your email gets to the right group. Thanks for your feedback.
Posted on 4/22/2011 at 1:36 PM by Progressive
I just built a quote online and WOW it was cheaper then what i pay now, its kind of funny considering its the same insurance company!!! Also why is there a renewal fee ? never had an insurance company do that before. I paid for 5 months and supposed to get the 6th month free instead, their is no 6th month... honestly thinking of canceling, this insurance company in NOT #1
Posted on 5/3/2011 at 1:29 PM by Ashley
@Ashley, Please give us a call (1-800-776-4737), so we can review your policy and billing cycle with you.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 3:08 PM by Progressive
ok i was told that i had to wait for my insurance to renew to have my registration stamped.I would have to mail it in because the office is to far for me to have it stamped so it would be easier to mail it. Since when is this true I am a receptionist for a insurance company and i know for sure this is not the way it is.Can someone answer this question?
Posted on 5/22/2011 at 8:26 PM by Maria
Hi, I have a policy that states that it will end in november. is there any penalty for canceling my policy before then?
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 2:15 PM by monique
@Maria, Please call us (1-800-776-4737), so we can better understand what happened and help you.
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 4:07 PM by Progressive
From statement above: "on 4/11/2011 at 10:32 AM by Ryan Dietrich @Ryan, If you choose to cancel your Progressive policy, we prefer that you call us, so we can quickly review your options with you." Well, Progressive, I was one month into my renewal, and did exactly as stated above -- called you, reviewed details with customer service agent as suggested of cancellation policy, saw my local agent and policy was cancelled - one month into my 6 month renewal period - renewed May 1, cancelled May 31. Now, 3 weeks later I receive a "final bill" that is equal to 2/3 of a monthly payment. I was told that this is PROFIT for Progressive for the five months that the policy WAS INACTIVE!!!!! Note that I said "I was told" by Progressive. Ever hear that "A verbal contract is not binding"? Why should Progressive profit from a service that is NOT being provided? RIDICULOUS!! Just another way to rip off clients. I'm so happy that I found another company to offer me the exact same coverage as provided by Progressive for over $100 a month less. My daughter and granddaughter both currently have Progressive. Trust me, when their renewal dates come around in the next few months, I will be certain that they are changed to the same company I am now with, and also refer friends and acquaintances AWAY from Progressive.
Posted on 6/16/2011 at 3:49 PM by Marcia Debra Poteat
@Marcia, We're sorry to hear about your experience and that we've lost your business.
Posted on 6/22/2011 at 12:58 PM by Progressive
I was paying 73.26 a month and my insurance went up 25 dollars...without notice...just because...this is RIDICULOUS!
Posted on 6/22/2011 at 3:43 PM by Don
I had a wonderful experience with Progressive. They insured my motorcycle, no problems with renewal or price increases. When I sold my motorcycle, I called to cancel my policy, and they even backdated my cancellation to the day I sold it (a week prior). I call that good customer service. Unfortunately, too many people only use the comment boards for problems.
Posted on 6/27/2011 at 6:59 PM by Karen
@Don, We're sorry about your experience. Please give us a call (1-800-776-4737), so we can review your policy with you.
Posted on 6/28/2011 at 4:23 PM by Progressive
@Karen, Thanks for taking time to share your experience! We're glad that you're happy with Progressive!
Posted on 6/28/2011 at 4:24 PM by Progressive
I am absolutely appalled at the lack of service provided by Progressive. I checked my on line account for the first time in several months today because we are buying two new cars and adding our teenage son to our policy. Unfortunately for Progressive, my business will be lost to them. I called customer service to find out why I was paying so much for the 6 month "renewal". I was given so many reasons for the increase hike that my head was spinning. I have a great driving record and can't justify paying so much for a renewal after the first 6 month price was so good. When I explained this to the representative on the phone, she basically told me to go someplace else. Awesome, Progressive. I will take her advice. BTW, what is with the $81 renewal charge that the rep said is because the state demands it? You need to let people know that your price is nearly $100 more every six months than you quoted.
Posted on 8/20/2011 at 4:32 PM by Dawn
I renew my insurance with progressive couple months back and out of nowhere my bill shot up from 156 to 220. I even lower collision and everything and my final bill is 212. why is that?. im cancelling tomorrow
Posted on 9/1/2011 at 11:44 PM by packdy sengdara
@Packdy, There are several factors that impact your rate. Call anytime at 800-776-4737 and we can review your policy together. We can review your coverages and check for new discounts and other ways to save.
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 9:03 AM by Progressive
I just got my renewal notice for my 3 cars, myself, my son and daughter. Progressive is raising the rate by $70 per month because of a small rear end accident I had in a drive through restaurant parking lot. The payout was only $417. I am cancelling my policy and will look elsewhere!
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 3:52 PM by sharon
Customer service was horrible. Called to ask about cancelling and then they wanted to know why i wanted to know who i was switching to. Then they referred me to the website to get the info which isnt here. Saving 70 dollars a month with the new company. That actually supports the military
Posted on 9/13/2011 at 5:13 PM by Chris
I have had Progressive for many years and called to cancel my policy. I was told that I must pay a cancellation fee-which I have NO intention of paying. I realize that there is fine print in every contract. However, as a California resident, I already pay a huge amount for insurance and DMV fees. Far higher than other states. Why should your assumption that I would continue forever constitute an emergency (fees) on my part? I would not be cancelling if I could afford to pay higher fees, so you fine me further? Bad business! I would have referred you to others and perhaps come back to you in the future. Now, I will never come back on principle. P.S. legislation is being passed that will ban cancellation fees on services like yours, bad news for you.
Posted on 9/25/2011 at 8:49 PM by what and why
@Sharon - You should call 800-776-4737. We can review your policy and look for ways to help reduce the impact of the claim. You may qualify for additional discounts and savings.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:33 AM by Progressive
I didn't want to renew when my 6 month policy was up. Anothe insurance company offered a better rate. When I called to "Not Renew" on the day before the policy renews, I was told I might still be charged. Even though I called before the day of renewal. I have no alternative but to call my bank and tell them I lost my card. At least this way, I won't get charged for insurance I don't want and I won't have to wait 30 days to get my money back.
Posted on 10/15/2011 at 6:28 PM by Corinna
Notice how all the answers here from Progressive are simply just to call them.. why not publicly answer these questions? Why can;t you explain publicly why your rates are double, even TRIPLE other companies rates for exactly the same coverage? You upped my policy after 1 year over $40 a month.. even though i have not had any violations or accidents in the time i have been covered.. When i applied for a quote thru Geico, it started at $48 a month to include $500 deductibles and full collision and comprehensive. that was with the one violation i have that is less than 3 years old. You guys have carried over a violation of mine that is 3 years and 7 months old. Upon further proceedings with geico, and finalizing the policy, it was upped to $78 a month due to my ex wife's previous accident. and what's taking SOOO incredibly long on getting a response from your email address? sent in a couple of questions YESTERDAY MORNING.. seriously?? or do you make it so people have to MANDATORILY take 30-40 minutes out of a busy day to call and sit on hold forever...
Posted on 10/18/2011 at 2:46 PM by James
FYI if you want to file a complaint with the Dept of Insurance in MO here is the link https://insurance.mo.gov/consumers/complaints/consumerComplaint.php You can google "file an insurance complaint in ___ (state)" for any other state. Insurance is state regulated and insurance companies get fined for inappropriate behavior.
Posted on 11/1/2011 at 3:26 PM by Jon O
I recently sold my boat and, obviously, needed to cancel my policy. To my surprise, I was charged a $30 cancellation fee. I have had insurance for nearly 30 years and have never incurred a fee to cancel. I will advise USAA to find another company to offer special lines policies. You have lost my business.
Posted on 11/20/2011 at 9:18 PM by Rob D
Why do you not have a fax number? That may have just cost you my business.
Posted on 12/8/2011 at 1:14 AM by rafael c.
@Rob D.: We’re very sorry to have lost your business.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:54 AM by Progressive
@James: We encourage customers to call to protect their privacy and to make sure we understand the situation before responding. It’s most effective to discuss rates over the phone, so that we can help compare other quotes you’ve received and immediately explore policy changes/updates with you. We’re here at your convenience, 24/7. Our phone number is 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:57 AM by Progressive
@Corinna: We’re very sorry to have lost your business. Please give us a call (1-800-776-4737) before discussing with your bank. You would only owe money if you cancelled prior to end of your six-month term.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:59 AM by Progressive
i received a bill from progressive after they cancelled my policy for nonpayment? how is this legal . I am requesting a full itemized statement of the charges they are trying to charge me. terrible company a total rip offff Progressive is also the only automobile insurance company I've encountered that promotes a policy of assessing an early cancellation fee if you cancel their policy before it expires. Is Progressive a cell phone company, too? So, if you don’t like their tactics and want to take your business elsewhere, you will still end up paying Progressive more than they deserve!
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 7:31 PM by cori
Not understanding why, after 6 months of being insured by you, my payment went up 10+ more $ then what it had been before. It's supposed to be cheaper then most other insurance (or at least that's what your commercials say.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 12:13 AM by John
@Rafael: Our general fax number is 1-877-280-5587. Please be sure to include your name and policy number on all pages being sent.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 10:05 AM by Progressive
@Cori: Because your policy was canceled before the end of its term, we charged you a fee to cover any administrative costs associated with this early termination. These fees are legal as our way of doing business is filed with your state's department of insurance. If you'd like a detailed explanation regarding the billing of your policy, please call us at your convenience at 1-800-888-7764.
Posted on 12/21/2011 at 2:38 PM by Progressive
@John: It is very common for rates to change at renewal, for a couple of reasons. First, most of our policies include a one-time discount for signing your new policy documents online. This discount is removed at renewal. (This is disclosed on your application as well as on your declarations page.) Also, since we regularly review our rates, many of our policyholders will see their rates decrease at renewal; however, others might see an increase. In general, insurance companies have different costs of doing business, so rates will vary, and no one company will have the lowest rate for every driver.
Posted on 12/21/2011 at 4:04 PM by Progressive
My fiance recently cancelled her policy with Progressive, when I added her to mine. One week later she recieves a bill in the mail for a cancellation fee of $50 plus misc charges for a total of $54.06. When she spoke with the customer service rep, there was no mention of a cancellation fee. Why is this? The rep had tried to get her to have my policies changed to Progressive, to which they can not compare.
Posted on 12/28/2011 at 12:38 AM by Kevin
<p>@Kevin: In some states, we charge a fee for canceling a policy midterm. This covers administrative costs associated with early termination. We would be happy to review her billing with her. To have us do so, she should call us at 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 1/3/2012 at 5:19 PM by Progressive
In NC, do you charge a fee to cancel mid-policy? Also, why is it that when calling to cancel (in NC), you told my friend that he had to show proof to you of his new insurance in order to cancel (not required under NC law), and you are continuing to bill him for a month's insurance, and now have 'no record' of the call, and have told him it will go to collections in 9 days? I can see a 10% cancellation fee, but why tell him he has to provide you proof to cancel his policy, when the NC Department of Insurance I just called said that is not the case. Why also, can I not find anywhere on your website that proof has to be shown to cancel? I look forward to your answers, as I will be helping to file the complaint to the NCDOI, of whom seems very interested in this practice.
Posted on 1/24/2012 at 3:01 PM by Jane
Ironic that a company that brags about their discounts is more expensive than any other insurance company, even after their so called discounts
Posted on 1/27/2012 at 2:25 AM by anonymous
@Jane: We're sorry for any misunderstanding. We do not charge a fee for cancelation or require proof. However, if there is a balance due for the time period that the insurance policy was active, we would ask to collect that as a part of the cancellation process. Also, the state of North Carolina does require that a mid-policy cancellation request be submitted in writing. This is as simple as sending a letter or email with information to identify the policyholder and the reason for canceling. We’d be more than happy to help you though the process and answer any additional questions. Just give us a call anytime at 1 800-776-4737.
Posted on 2/2/2012 at 12:15 PM by Progressive
I have a commercial policy with Progressive. I just renewed my policy for the year. I paid in Full. After talking to other agencies I realize that I am spending an outrageous amount and am seriously considering a change. I will only be covered for about 2 weeks of the 12 month period. I want to make sure I will receive the money back that will not be used considering I'm only using the insurance for 2 weeks. Please verify that I will receive a refund.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 7:24 PM by John
@John: We're sorry to hear you're considering canceling. We would be happy to go over your policy, and options with you. To do so, please call our Commercial Department at 1-800-444-4487.
Posted on 2/23/2012 at 8:12 PM by Progressive
I really appreciate the 6 months i was with you guys. My policy was for ONLY 6 MONTHS....i say ONLY 6 MONTHS...paid in full. When my 6 months were over, i got my coverage with another insurance. Can you believe this 'Progressive Insurance thing' went on and took money from my checking account for another 6 months? For Gods grace, i didn't renew my policy with you, why should you renew it for me without my concern? Been trying to contact you but everryday am on hold for like 15-20 minutes then am transfered to another department where nobody answers the call. Can you guys let me know what going on here coz i need my money back or i will let my bank deal with you. This isn't fun no more.
Posted on 3/18/2012 at 12:17 PM by Joshua
@Joshua: We're sorry to hear you're leaving us, and that you've been having trouble on the phone. If you prefer to cancel via email, you can do so by contacting us at customerservice@progressivedirect.com. Please include your name, policy number, date of birth, date of cancel, and mailing address.
Posted on 3/19/2012 at 4:36 PM by Progressive
I cancelled my policy the day after my automatic payment. Since i pay 228 a month I should get a refund correct? If not we are going to have problems. It was the second month into the renewed policy, and i switched to a new company (cheaper monthly payment) It was last week i did this so when should i get it.
Posted on 3/19/2012 at 10:46 PM by Tinara
<p>@Tinara: We're sorry to have lost your business. Generally, when a customer who makes automatic payments cancels, we refund any overpayment 12 days after the last payment was processed. The amount of the refund is credited to your bank account. Please contact our customer service department at 1-800-776-4737, and have your policy number handy, and we'll confirm your refund amount and the date it will be issued.</p>
Posted on 3/22/2012 at 7:27 AM by Progressive
My first policy with progressive was drastically cheaper than previous company. By about half. Then my renewal came back at about 25 a month more than before. I looked around and was finding cheaper prices at other companies, so I called to ask progressive about theirs. They said they use new information to write policies and that I should have someone look over mine. After about 15 minutes, i had a quote for about 30 less than my previous policy, and not a thing changed as far as coverage. I ddin't stay on hold for any length of time (maybe 5 min total). In my case, i have no problems at all, and in fact, I called after one of my accidents was past 3 years (to the day), and i got a refund of about 250 for the whole policy. I now pay about 75 a month, down from 300 at my previous company. And thats full coverage ,comp and collison.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 8:31 PM by Dax
Warning to those cancelling. Make sure you ask as of when your coverage stops. because if you call to cancel at the end of one day, they stop your coverage the day before. which make no freaking sense! Shouldn't my coverage have ended that day at midnight? thanks to progressive for making it seem like i did not have consistent coverage with the DMV and now im being fined for one flipping day! Make sure you warn customers of this. I shouldn't have to pay a fine when i was technically covered that day.
Posted on 4/6/2012 at 2:32 PM by Kenia
@Dax: Thanks for the post! Glad we could help!
Posted on 4/10/2012 at 4:33 PM by Progressive
@Kenia: When a customer cancels a policy with us, we process the cancellation at 12:01 a.m. on the requested date of cancel. For more information, please call customer service at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 4/11/2012 at 9:00 AM by Progressive
Faxing in cancellation of policy is still beyond ridiculous. Then to have to check on it two days later to make sure it has been received is just absurd. Unhelpful CS means I wont be coming back to insure car, home, boat again
Posted on 4/15/2012 at 9:47 AM by rob
@Rob: We're sorry you've had a frustrating experience. Cancellation requirements vary from state to state, and there still are a handful that require written cancellation requests. In terms of the two-day follow-up, that's simply a suggestion, not a requirement.
Posted on 4/17/2012 at 3:08 PM by Progressive
Because of my current problem, I am not complaining "YET" However I have been extremely Pro Active in my efforts to solve a ligitimate mistake made by Me, The Progressive Company, and the Bank....All three missed the same Error and maybe Progressive might have been a little Fraudulant in their tactics of ignoring this issue. progressive has had my Name for the last few years, how about you call me or email me?
Posted on 4/22/2012 at 4:25 PM by CARL SWOFFORD
I canceled my insurance on friday. When will my credit card be refunded?
Posted on 4/23/2012 at 12:01 PM by Ervin
tried to cancell my insurance for the car i no longer have,its one week left on the policy,progressive is trying to charge me $50 for "midterm" cancellation really? shouldnt i be getting a refund instead. but the agent says "no you will not get a refund but will have to pay $54 " total ???? was at it for about 20 minutes with her i gave up i will just let it expire hopefully they wont want to charge me for letting the policy expire
Posted on 4/24/2012 at 3:02 AM by joe
@Carl: We'd be glad to help resolve any issues; however, we need more information. Please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 8:53 AM by Progressive
@Ervin: We're sorry to hear that we lost your business. Credit card refunds are processed within two days; however, your credit card company may take longer to issue your credit.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 8:54 AM by Progressive
@Joe: We're sorry for the frustrating experience you've had. In some states, we do charge a $50 fee if you cancel the policy midterm. This covers administrative costs associated with early termination. However, if the policy expires, then you've fulfilled the terms of the contract and there will be no fee. You would just be responsible for any balance owing on the policy.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 9:30 AM by Progressive
Had a storm in the area with large hail and needed to make a claim. Took my wife 30 minutes and 5 phone calls before a rep could give her the correct number to do so. Come to find out that progressive also changes your original policy upon renewal to benefit their bottom line. Originally had a policy to cover the roof. At some point over the last few years they changed the policy so that the roof would only be covered 60% based on the age of the roof. I guess the lesson is you can't trust a damn thing. Read your renewal, they will screw you. Don't just assume the original policy will just carry over. I would not have knowingly agreed to a lesser policy to save a few bucks. Good one progressive. Lesson learned.
Posted on 6/4/2012 at 5:16 PM by Chuck
I bought my car insurance at Progressive 6 month ago and I PAID IN FULL. And now I didn't renew that policy because it cost too much. But now Progressive send me another bill says I still have $93 due (one month bill). Are you kidding? I already paid in full for 6 month contract, and I called you that I don;t want to renew. What do you mean that I still have $93 due? I definitely won't pay it.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 2:32 PM by Yamin
I thinking for sale my motorcycle i have insurance with Progressive and i paid for full year.But i just bought 2 month ago,so if my motorcycle being sold can i cancel my policy and have money back,would i being charge for early termination fee,or should i let the policy expired when time is up,please give me advice,thanks.(By the way i live in Alabama)
Posted on 6/14/2012 at 12:49 AM by ben dou
@Yamin: We'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the bill you received. Please contact us by phone at 1-800-776-4737 anytime, so we can review your policy.
Posted on 6/19/2012 at 2:50 PM by Progressive
@Ben: Unless you plan to replace your bike, it makes sense to cancel your policy. If you paid in full for the entire year, you normally would get a refund for any unearned premium. There may be a $30 cancellation fee, which we'd deduct from your potential refund.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:41 AM by Progressive
So I get on my account today to figure out how to cancel my insurance (sold the car) hoping that I might get some kind of return. reading everything above, I doubt that is going to happen. I also saw on my billing statement that I now owe $64 because I didn't make an electronic signature. ..... so I'm sure that when I call and cancel, I will owe over $100 .....
Posted on 6/25/2012 at 9:44 AM by Jenny
I can only pay for a month now, what is the window for me to pay later and still get the 6 month discount?
Posted on 6/29/2012 at 7:16 PM by denise pugh
Soooo..... I called earlier today to talk to a representative because magically a notice appeared in my e-mail about an automatic debit from my account. I had a renters policy when we lived at a different address three years ago. I called to both cancel my renters policy and get a quote for a new homeowners policy two years ago. For two years now, we have been living at our new home and thought the renters policy was cancelled - until today! We have received no notices whatsoever - no e-mails, nothing through the regular mail, no renewals, nothing until today - and we get notice that our bank account has been used this whole time for a renters policy on a place where we do not live! The representative told me she would be returning $10 to me!!! Wow - two years of renters insurance debited from my bank account and all I get is $10 back. First of all, I believe it illegal to debit bank accounts without notification, and second, isn't it also illegal to not send out a renewal packet of some sort? Had I known that this policy was still in effect, I would have called again to make sure it was cancelled it a long time ago.
Posted on 7/3/2012 at 2:32 PM by Heather
I called to cancel my policy as I have sold my boat. I have nothing but GOOD to say about my 6 years of insurance with Progressive. They sure beat the service I am getting on an auto policy with a major auto insurance company. The cancellation went very smooth, just a few questions to verify that I was who I said I was, and she said I would see the credit on my credit card within 3 days. I highly recommend doing business with Progressive.
Posted on 7/3/2012 at 2:58 PM by Stan
@Stan: Thanks so much for the shout-out! We're sorry to see you go!
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 8:43 AM by Progressive
@Jenny: When you cancel a policy, it is done on a prorate basis--meaning you only pay for the insurance coverage you used. This is measured in days that the policy was active. If you would like to review your cancel options with us, please give us a call at 1-800-888-7764.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 10:22 AM by Progressive
@Denise: You can make the monthly payment to renew your policy, then pay the balance--up to 15 days from the renewal date--and still get the Paid in Full Discount. Please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737 for additional questions.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 10:25 AM by Progressive
From reading all of these comments, I will likely not quote with Progressive AGAIN because of renewal rate hikes and cancellation fees, but I did have Progressive when I lived in Hawaii. I had an accident, and they were pretty swift with getting a claims adjuster out to look at my car (the next day) and the whole claim was taken care of rather quickly. I was happy with that. They did drop me when I moved back to Tennessee all of a sudden instead of adjusting my coverages and rates, though. I just got a letter in the mail one day that said my coverage was dropped. I know it's because I moved to a different state with different coverage requirements, but they could have called me to change over the policy. Maybe I should have asked for a recovery of premiums paid as a fee for cancelling my insurance without notice!!
Posted on 7/12/2012 at 7:11 PM by Tiffany C
Had motorcycle insurance through progressive, went online and canceled, well when the policy started it was paid in full but from a ex friends card, so now the refund was put in their account and progressive refuses to give me my money in my account because they say it isn't the account wich the policy was paid for with. What can I do to get my money
Posted on 7/18/2012 at 5:50 PM by Charles
15 minutes on hold. I guess I'll be switching to Farmers Insurance. They have agents that actually care to pick up their phone. 15 plus minutes and no people? Flo - you just lost to the professor. BYE!
Posted on 7/19/2012 at 11:17 PM by Jerry Hallman
@Tiffany: We'd be glad to look into this for you; we would just need a policy number or name and birthdate. You can call us anytime. Please note that we are required by law to issue a non-renewal and cancellation notice.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:46 PM by Progressive
@Charles: Unless otherwise specified, we send policy refunds to the last account used to make payment on the policy. We cannot send multiple refunds per policy. If you have further questions, please contact us by phone at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/25/2012 at 1:53 PM by Progressive
Got billed after policy cancellation , however I requested cancellation multiple times because a lack of communication( the right hand does not know what is the lift hans doing). After all progressive turned me in to a bill collection agency without trying to resolve the problim. that's why I,ll never use progressive again. You may got my money but you ,ll never have me as a client again I'm 100% dissatisfied customer.
Posted on 7/31/2012 at 10:12 PM by ahmed sallam
I've call and make canceling my insurance since last month, but the bill is come for this month, I don't understand what is going on....I really don't...
Posted on 8/2/2012 at 12:37 AM by ronald
@Ronald: We're sorry to hear that you've decided to cancel your policy. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737 so we can review this information for you.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 9:30 AM by Progressive
I called to cancel my Mom's insurance after she gave up her car. I called the main number and received excellent service!
Posted on 8/26/2012 at 8:07 PM by Cindy
Cancellation Beware: Progressive will only refund 90% of your paid in full policy if you decide to cancel.
Posted on 8/27/2012 at 5:49 PM by Chris
I just wanted to sya that I called up to cancel my policy today, and I had no issues other than a 8-10 minute wait time. The representative was very courteous, cancelled the policy within 5 minutes, and I'm even getting a $28.00 refund for cancelling before my next payment is due!! I had liability insurance, which started out at about 50-60 dollars a month, and after about 6 months to a year it was down to 45.00. unfortunately I don't have a car and won't be driving for a while until I get another one, but when I do I am definitely sticking with Progressive. I'm not sure where everyone else lives, but I'm in NJ. Maybe it is simpler to cancel a policy here than in some other states. Just wanted to say thank you so much, I appreciate it!! :)
Posted on 8/27/2012 at 8:10 PM by Kasia
I just plugged my information into the site and got a nice low quote!!! this would have rocked if I was not currently a customer of Progressive for the past 9 years and am currently being charged 30 dollars more per month. I would not ever use this company ever again. I urge you all to try this before you renew!!! trust me I'm gone.
Posted on 8/28/2012 at 7:21 PM by Larry Martin
If I am one month into my policy, and I have only paid for one month. And I need to cancel my policy because I have sold my scooter, what is the cancellation procedure? Could I get billed for the rest of my policy term or is there just a small cancellation fee?
Posted on 8/29/2012 at 9:42 PM by em
@Cindy: Glad we could help you and your Mom! Thanks for taking time to comment.
Posted on 9/4/2012 at 1:33 PM by Progressive
@Kasia: Glad it was easy for you to cancel, though we're sorry to lose you as a customer! Please keep us in mind the next time you need insurance.
Posted on 9/4/2012 at 2:12 PM by Progressive
@Larry: We'd like to review your policy to make sure you're getting the lowest rate possible. Please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 9/4/2012 at 2:14 PM by Progressive
@Em: You would not get billed for the entire policy term; however, there may be a cancellation fee, depending on your state. Please call 1-800-776-4737 for assistance.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 9:50 AM by Progressive
I have been with Progressive for 5 years now and when I checked my email to renew my policy and guess what happened... my rate went up. I have had a perfect record for the last 10 years or so and now they increase my rate???? I couldn't believe it! I called a Progressive rep and he explained that my area has had an increase of accidents and although i have not had a ticket or accident the increase would still effect me. I have always paid in full and never cost them a dime. You would think they would want to keep me as customer but that's not the case. I told the rep that i was willing to pay the same rate that i was previously paying and i would not cancel but he said and I quote, "progressive will go out of business if I change the rate" and he also said, "I don't have a magic button that can decrease the rate".... As you all can imagine I am currently looking for a new insurance provider. I will actually pay more for a company to appreciate my business.
Posted on 9/11/2012 at 9:30 AM by Alex
From my renewal paperwork: "That means your rate as a new customer could be different. You always have the right to cancel your policy and apply for a new one" When I run a quote for new coverage (with the same benefits) it is much less than my existing policy (which renews the end of the month). Is Progressive suggesting that in order for me to get the best rate available, I would have to waste my time cancelling and then come on as a new customer again? If it requires that much effort to get the best possible rate, why wouldn't I just move over to a competitor who can offer me a lower/similar rate as your new customer rate (which is significantly less than my renewal rate)?
Posted on 9/11/2012 at 5:48 PM by Christiann
@Christiann: There are several reasons you might get a lower rate if you quote a new Progressive policy before renewal time. For example, your credit score may have changed since you first quoted, and we can’t order another credit report due to a state restriction. Or, perhaps your state approved a rate revision in the middle of your policy term; we can’t change rates mid-term. This is one of the reasons Progressive and other auto insurers only write six-month policies; this way, policies can be updated every six months vs. one year.
Posted on 9/24/2012 at 3:48 PM by Progressive
Please provide a document that states that Progressive is allowed to charge a $50.00 cancellation fee when insured in California! I am taking this up with the Insurance Commission and will file a complaint. FLO can BLOW!
Posted on 9/29/2012 at 6:18 PM by Jeff
When I called about our policy going up nearly $30 dollars a month, I was told, "because everyone's policy is going up." Great answer! Going to look for a new insurance company.
Posted on 10/1/2012 at 9:56 AM by KASR
@Jeff: We're sorry to hear you're no longer with us. Your policy application states: "I also understand that I will be charged a $50.00 cancellation fee if I cancel this policy for any reason or the Company cancels it due to my failure to pay any premium when due." To request a copy, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 10/1/2012 at 5:18 PM by Progressive
Due to my previous insurrer reversing my cancellation due to a payment erra, I will not need your coverage.. Please cancel my policy, for I've never lost coverage....
Posted on 10/17/2012 at 5:58 PM by Samuel J Dalton
I also could not find a fax number in the contact section and had to search the website, finally finding it on this page. Why is the fax number such a secret? It has other uses besides canceling you know. (For example doctors' offices request it for their purposes.)
Posted on 10/22/2012 at 9:22 AM by Adam
<p>@Samuel: To protect your privacy, we cannot accept cancel or policy change requests via our blog. You'll need to call us at 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 10/23/2012 at 3:18 PM by Progressive
@Adam: We have several different fax numbers for several different purposes, and if you fax information to the wrong department, it could take us longer to process the information. So, we'd prefer that you email or call us to get the correct number. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
Posted on 10/24/2012 at 8:59 AM by Progressive
I filed a claim for my mercury 250 pro xs outboard on Oct 12. It took 4 days for an agent to look at my boat. I just found out today Oct 25th, that progressive will not replace my lower unit with mercury parts. They want me to use non-mercury parts out of miami. (cheap junk) 2K dollar savings to them. Really? If you drive a BMW would you replace it with Hyundi parts? I am starting with the complaint dept., seeking advice from an insurance lawyer. I will not put junk on my Ranger. Is this your normal policy to use junk, cheapest parts? I quess you get what you pay for with insurance? Its good to read these comments so when I cancel my policy i will do it the right way. You spend millions on commercials but wont spend 2K to fix something correctly. Here is a quote you use "we work with you throughout the entire claims process- from initial response through final resolution, to provide fast, caring service and to settle your claim." All in favor of progressive. It is not settled.
Posted on 10/25/2012 at 11:07 PM by Freeland Peterson
I posted the comments on 10/25 about my mercury 250 outboard. The very next day I was able to work out the details with Progressive. They are paying for what I insured. They are buying me a brand new mercury lower unit. Thank you very much. They are taking care of everything. I apologize if I offended anyone with my previous comments. I will continue to keep progressive as my insurance company for many years. This is all I asked for, replace what I insured. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Posted on 10/30/2012 at 4:55 PM by Freeland Peterson
Curious why my rates went up $12/month? I've been with Progressive since May 2011, with no incidents, and this is the first jump in my premium.
Posted on 11/7/2012 at 1:30 PM by Ann
I'd like to know how Progressive can cancel your policy for nonpayment, let you know you are no longer covered even though there are three months left to the policy, yet still want those three months of payments that the customer was not covered??!! And...if you do not pay, they can put it on your credit?? How is this legal? You DID NOT COVER the person - you lost nothing! This just happened to my young son. I'll be filing a complaint with the insurance commissioner... I have never heard of any other insurance company doing this, at least not to my personal knowledge. I will also be mentioning the fact that it is not quite fair to judge and/or charge someone a certain rate just because of their credit. Ones credit has ZERO to do with their driving history!!! Keep on being dirty, Progressive...it won't be long before your selfish business dealings will be dealt with. By the way, I despise your Flo commercials - there is nothing funny about them! and I turn the station every time one comes on!
Posted on 11/18/2012 at 10:05 PM by Noneofyourbusinessmoneytheieves
yeh KASR, I got the exact same answer today. i haven't had an accident or ticket in more than 5 yrs, and was in a recent not-at fault accident. my preium jumped about $25 a month. I called in to find out why, she said because everyone's insurance is going up. So gotta find another ins, comp.
Posted on 11/19/2012 at 7:04 PM by Dory
@Anonymous: We're sorry we've frustrated you. When a policy cancels for nonpayment, that means the policyholder did not pay for coverage we provided. If a payment is not made midterm, we provide a few days of additional coverage, then cancel the policy. We then ask the policyholder to pay the policy premium that was used. Please have your son call us anytime at 1-855-266-8485, and we'll go over his billing with him. We would also be glad to go over credit information with him, and explain that in more detail.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:22 PM by Progressive
@Ann: We understand your concern with the change in your rate, and we'd like to review your policy. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:30 PM by Progressive
Just got my renewal notice. My discounts are: Three year safe driving, multi car, home owner, five year accident free, continuous insurance and diamond and electronic funds transfer. I've been with progressive 5 years now. Monthly premiums are going up 25% with no explanation. Not happy about this. I called a couple months ago for a quote on home owners insurance and was quoted a ridiculous amount of almost $2k a year(3 times what i pay now) for a 820sq ft house. Could that inquiry have caused the hike in my auto insurance?? Just refinanced my house and my credit score is better than it's been in years... Maybe it's time to search around for another carrier.
Posted on 12/5/2012 at 1:03 PM by Mark
I just tried to cancel my policy on the renewal date because my premiu m went up because i moved and i was just now advised of it like a day or so before my renewal date. They just hiked up my premium and didnt make me aware. Now they're saying if i cancel the policy, i may still have to pay this over the top premium price because today is the renewal date and no one advised me that the premium went up. i randomly went to the website to check up on things and saw this and called. I really hope a supervisor overrides this and allows me to cancel the policy because i cannot afford this
Posted on 12/13/2012 at 2:43 PM by Dawn
I recently cut some of the insurance I had on my policy with Progressive. Realizing I was still paying a big price I started scouting around and found a very well known insurance company could give me the same coverage saving a lot of money. Since I had been with Progressive for many years I called them and asked them what they could do for me and the response was in a matter of fact noncaring voice Sorry nothing and glad you can get yourself a savings. That person showed no caring that I was going to go somewhere else. This next week I will be starting my new insurance up and calling Progressive to cancel my policy. The agent said I had to go to her and sign something yet on the website it says I only have to call the 877 number so that is what I will be doing. I have been reading some of the posts here how people had a hard time canceling and if that happens to me I will be reporting them to the insurance authorities and they can take care of it for me.
Posted on 12/14/2012 at 11:54 AM by Beverly
Here is the fax number. Be sure and give the policy number and the exact date you want your policy to be cancelled. 1-877-280-5587
Posted on 12/17/2012 at 11:23 AM by rs
@Mark: Unfortunately, we've needed to raise rates in several states to match rising claims costs. However, we'd like to review your policy with you to make sure we haven't missed a savings opportunity; please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 9:34 AM by Progressive
@Dawn: When you change your policy, we notify you of any premium changes right away. If you end your policy on its expiration date, you shouldn't owe anything. Please call us for help: 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:16 AM by Progressive
@Beverly: We're sorry we lost you as a long-term customer. Unfortunately, since insurance is so tightly regulated, we can't simply lower your rate. We reviewed your policy to make sure we were giving you the best rate we could offer at the time. Depending on your state's rules, you can either call us to cancel your policy, or submit a written request via email.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:34 AM by Progressive
i just recently completed my a year in prograssive, when i bought the policy they provided me with 10% snapshot discount, and i was paying 124 per month, and when i renew my policy after 6 month the bill went from 124 to 130. and they said they gave me silver discount for being with them for 6 month. and now its been a yr and the nxt bill i see is 139. well thanx progessive for continuously raising my monthly bill. and i dont have any traffic violation ticket so far. well i am considering taking break from you guys and find other.
Posted on 12/27/2012 at 7:39 PM by rai
@Rai: We understand your concern with the change in your rates. We'd like to review your policy to make sure you're getting all of the available discounts. Please call us at 1-855-266-8485 for a policy review.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:17 PM by Progressive
Here is the honest truth about Progressive Auto Insurance. If you have an existing policy with them that is up for renewal it will NOT be lower and will most likely be higher. To get the best rate from them go to their Web Site and fill out the information to compare quotes just as if you were just a new potential customer. Everytime I did this I have saved big time. Once they sent me a renewal for $360 and I got it for less than $270. Another time the renewal was $285 and I paid $213. While it may be true that they give a $50 discount to new customers there is no explaining why your rates go up more than $50 after the initial 6 months if you've done nothing wrong. You will have to start a new policy and do the online signature again but when you save $50- 80 for less than an hours work it is well worth any acident forgiveness or other frills they say you will get for sending the extra money. https://www.progressive.com/insurance/flo/wow.aspx?code=9003514398&se=Bing&cmp=CW+-+Progressive_Branded&adgr=Progressive_Branded&kwd=progressive&srcfrc=true&mt=e
Posted on 1/12/2013 at 7:17 AM by Gregory
@Gregory: When we renew a policy, we refer back to the original policy. For example, if you started a policy with had no prior insurance, your rate would be based on that-different than if you quoted online today and stated that you have insurance. Credit can also change your rate; however, most states do not permit insurance companies to run credit reports at every renewal. But, when you get a new quote, we can run a credit report again and if the results are more favorable, the rate would reflect that. So in these instances (excluding the one-time $50 discount for signing online), re-writing the policy can lower your rate. However, if you enter the same information during your new quote as you did in the original quote, the rate should be the same.
Posted on 1/17/2013 at 9:19 AM by Progressive
It is sad you are sending Texas Liability Insurance Card to me that is not mine. First time I called to tell your agent over phone two months ago. Second time, my insurance agent tried to tell you and you still refuse to take my address off this persons policy. First, her name isn't "Kyle" and she doesn't even live near where I do. This is bad business; an officer took my statement today. Hope you get it fixed before I take it further.
Posted on 1/30/2013 at 1:00 PM by Sheila A. Kyle
@Sheila: This is definitely something we need to look into; however, we need more information. Please call us at 1-855-266-8485 with all of the card information you may have. We appreciate the feedback.
Posted on 1/31/2013 at 10:31 AM by Progressive
You mean calling twice already is not enough, your company refused to take my address off as of yesterday; that is why I called the police. You cannot find out from people you pay to do their job for Progressive what is happening, really?—I did not know it was my job to keep your records straight.
Posted on 1/31/2013 at 11:28 AM by Sheila A. Kyle
@Sheila: We’re sorry for frustrating you. Unfortunately, this isn't something we can handle through our blog. Please try us again at 1-877-656-0914. This will connect you directly to a Customer Care Supervisor. Thank you again for letting us know this has happened and giving us the opportunity to resolve it.
Posted on 2/4/2013 at 3:16 PM by Progressive
You guys increased my 6 month rate from $519.90 to $668.90 when my policy came up for renewal?! A 29% increase! No claims, no accidents, perfect credit. Car is paid off! Spent an hour talking to 3 different CSRs regarding a policy review/discount review. Nothing. Keep on getting "the cost of business in CA went up due to fraud and the economy". The "economy" line doesn't work anymore! That excuse is well overplayed! You need to fire your actuarials if they can't give you good forecasts.
Posted on 2/5/2013 at 1:41 AM by Matthew
Unbelievable how unprofessional Progressive is. They get there "driving records" of potential clients from some whacko hole-in-the-wall place called choicepoint instead of pulling actual DMV records and police reports. So of course the brilliant primates at Choicepoint confused my driving record with my sister's and reported an accident to Progressive that I had nothing to do with. Did progressive correct the mistake? NO. Instead they send me on a goose chase to retrieve the record myself which can take over a month and apparently there are no human beings that work for the company-just robots. So in the meantime I'm paying a higher rate because of an accident that I was not even involved in until the robots get a chance to shuffle through my dispute paper work and get back to me. Maybe they should take some money from Flow's salary and use it for customer service improvements. Never recommending this company. Ever.
Posted on 2/5/2013 at 2:17 PM by Joshua Lezcano
I was a loyal Progessive customer who encouraged all my friends and family to call and get Progressive auto insurance because I had such a good deal and had great customer service. I referred Progressive to about 5 people. However, I received my renewal notice and my rate is much higher, about 20% higher and I'm very upset because nothing in my policy changed. I have the same number of drivers and vehicles and clean driving records. I called customer service and spoke to two different people and they couldn't figure out why my rates went up. They just told me they didn't know why, the rates just simply went up and they couldn't do anything about it. I feel like I was tricked into the policy and once Progressive got me as a customer they raised my rates. I'm really mad because I always raved about Progressive and instead of being rewarded, I had to pay a lot more. Now I'm shopping around for other quotes. I just wish they could give me an answer and resolve my issue because my rate hike is not justified.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 12:30 PM by Nancy
<p>@Nancy: We're very sorry for not giving you a clear answer. It's possible the change is related to a recent rate revision on our end, and we'd like to have a supervisor look over your policy. Please give us a call and ask to speak with a supervisor: 1-855-266-8485.</p>
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 5:00 PM by Progressive
I had geico cancel progressive back in Dec, and they are trying to pull yet another payment 3rd one since...out of my account. There is nothing on line that gives info on cancellations. I am saving a little over 60% with Geico and they are very nice....Progressive is expensive and the customer service when it comes to cancellations is HORRIBLE!
Posted on 2/23/2013 at 11:30 AM by Pearl
@Pearl: We're sorry to lose you. We can't cancel your policy unless you personally request it. If your current company called to cancel your policy, we would've asked them to have you call us. To process your cancellation, call us anytime at 1-855-266-8485. We can backdate the cancellation to the day you started your new policy.
Posted on 2/27/2013 at 2:19 PM by Progressive
Just cancelled my policy. No problems AT ALL. I just placed a call, got transferred to an agent and within 5 minutes had the policy cancelled and a $25 rebate on the way. Way to go Progressive!! You keep my motorcycle business, you may get my car business back next year.
Posted on 2/28/2013 at 1:58 PM by Bob
Just cancelled my policy.... but oh im not done forking over the money just yet... i get a lovely 50 dollar cancellation fee as a parting gift. GEICO here i come.
Posted on 3/7/2013 at 5:54 PM by Erik
@Bob: We're glad to have you as a motorcycle customer and hope you'll consider us again for your car insurance!
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:55 PM by Progressive
I want to make a report regarding false information given by an agent regarding a refund. I went online to get a quote for my insurance. After it listed my auto the question was did I want to insure another and since I have RVS and RVs was on the drop down I put the information in. This was the first time for me using the internet to do this type thing. Well when I finished and they requested my bank info I entered it. But when I printed out the quote it had only my RVs on it not my autos. So I immediately called you and told you the problem I was assured there was no problem they would cancel the policy immediately and I would have my refund in 24-48 hours. Today I am told that I will not have my money back for another 10 days and this has already been 5 days. Since I have my bills coming out of my account daily I have had bank fees because of my refund not happening in the 24-48 hours. I will not recommend anyone to get a quote or have anything to do with this company. If this is how they treat a new customer can you imagine how long it would take them to handle a claim.
Posted on 4/26/2013 at 12:52 PM by Martha Grossman