@Progressive Blog

SR-22: What You Should Know

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 11/5/2007 at 1:00 PM

What to Do When You Need an SR-22

Not everyone needs an SR-22, but if you do, you may not know how to get one or what happens after you get it. Progressive can help you with this step-by-step guide to SR-22s.


What Is an SR-22?

An SR-22 is a statement of financial responsibility that certain people are required to provide. An SR-22 is proof that you have the proper amount of insurance that your state has required you to have.

Why Do You Need an SR-22?

The most common reasons people need an SR-22 are because of a DUI or DWI, driving without insurance, or driving with a suspended license. Bottom line: You'll need an SR-22 if you're caught breaking the law in certain situations while you're driving.


If you need an SR-22, it's not the end of the world. Progressive actually helps you with SR-22 filing and maintenance every step of the way, so you won't be left wondering what to do next.

Filing an SR-22

Filing an SR-22 is simply a matter of filling out the required form and sending it to the appropriate regulatory agency within a specified time period. Progressive will file an SR-22 for you if you notify us that you need one.

An SR-22 lists your personal information and your auto insurance information, including whether you own the policy or are an operator on it, as well as certification from your insurance company that you have the proper amounts of insurance specified by your state. A properly completed and filed SR-22 will help you remain legal to drive.

If, at any point, your insurance policy is canceled while you're still required to carry an SR-22, your insurance company is required to notify your state, which will invalidate your SR-22 and could cause your driving privileges to be revoked. As long as your insurance policy remains active, your SR-22 should remain valid.

How Long Do SR-22s Stay Active?

Your SR-22 remains active until your state determines it can be removed. Depending on your state, you may need to keep your SR-22 active for 36 months, or it could be a different time period — check with your state to determine the specifics.

Once you're no longer required to maintain your SR-22, you simply notify your insurance company to file the paperwork — generally an SR-26 form — to cancel it. Your insurance company may require you to provide proof that the SR-22 has indeed been lifted, but filing the paperwork should be fairly simple. Once again, Progressive will file this form for you.

While an SR-22 can be a hassle, Progressive aims to lessen the stress of the situation by making the process of filing, maintaining and deactivating it fairly easy.

The information in this blog may vary based on your particular state or situation. Always refer to your insurance policy for your specific coverages.

Tagged with:


my husband needs sr22 insurance due to a freakish accident which we have been fighting his license being revoked for quite a while now. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. we have filed bankruptcy and have the case number because we put the amount of the settlement on the bankruptcy WHAT DO WE DO NOW?
Posted on 12/2/2009 at 8:18 PM by Julie Bowman
Julie, please call Progressive to obtain an SR-22. You can reach a customer service rep anytime at 800.776.4737.
Posted on 12/4/2009 at 12:21 PM by Brittany R.
My son needs to fill out a SR-22 form due to driving with a suspended drivers license. I have insurance through Progressive and this is why I am asking if I can get this form for him.
Posted on 12/7/2009 at 10:14 PM by Noemi
Noemi, please call a Progressive customer service rep at 800.776.4737. They'll be able to help you obtain an SR-22 for your son.
Posted on 12/8/2009 at 8:39 AM by Brittany R.
My son is required to obtain an SR22 to get his drivers license back in our state however he does not have a vehicle and will not be driving. How do we go about obtaining one without paying a huge fee?
Posted on 12/18/2009 at 3:53 PM by Judy M
@Judy M. Please call 800.776.4737, so you can discuss this with a customer service rep. Thanks for posting a comment.
Posted on 12/22/2009 at 11:29 AM by Brittany R.
how will a dwi affect insurance rates
Posted on 2/23/2010 at 12:07 PM by Grace Juarez
@Grace, that's a common question, so we covered it in detail in one of our blog posts. Here's a link to that post: https://www.progressive.com/understanding-insurance/entries/2009/8/31/how_does_a_dui_affe.aspx. If you need more specific information, feel free to give us a call: 800.776.4737.
Posted on 2/23/2010 at 2:10 PM by Brittany R.
my license was suspended for 3 months but that was a few years ago it was suspended because i got a drug charge. what do i need to do to get an sr-22
Posted on 3/6/2010 at 1:32 AM by Tracey
@Tracey, Please call Progressive--we can file an SR-22 for you. Call 800.776.4737 to speak with a customer service rep, who can answer any questions you have and help you get started.
Posted on 3/8/2010 at 9:39 AM by Brittany R.
Is the charge for an SR-22 included in my quote if I have indicated I have a suspended license?
Posted on 3/27/2010 at 12:01 AM by Jeanene
@Jeanene, if you answered "yes" to the question in your quote that asks whether you need an SR-22, then your quoted rate will include any fee Progressive charges in your state for the filing. (It would not include any fees your state charges for an SR-22 filing.) If you answered "yes" to the question about having a suspended license but didn't answer "yes" to the SR-22 question, then please contact us at 800.776.4737 and we can update your information for you.
Posted on 4/1/2010 at 9:39 AM by Brittany R.
How long does it take to get an SR-22 filed with the state MVD?
Posted on 4/5/2010 at 3:42 PM by Gary
I am required to get a SR-22 in order to get my license back but I don't own a vehicle to insure so what do I do???
Posted on 4/9/2010 at 2:57 PM by Lisa
@Gary, Since state requirements for filing SR-22s vary---some states accept filings by email or fax; others accept hard copy only---timing also varies. Please contact us for details about filings in your state: https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx.
Posted on 4/12/2010 at 7:30 PM by Brittany R.
@Lisa, If you currently have a Progressive policy, simply contact us at 1-800-776-4737 to change your policy to a Named Operator policy, which provides liability coverage for someone who does not own a vehicle. However, if you're uninsured, you'll need to contact an independent agent who sells Named Operator policies, since unfortunately, Progressive is not able to write Named Operator policies for new customers.
Posted on 4/12/2010 at 7:30 PM by Brittany R.
hi there im tryin to find the cheapest quote on an sr22 cuz 6 years ago i had 12 points in 12 months an in order for me to get my license back i dont have a car or insurence so i would be considered a non-owner if u could give me a quote or let me know what information to get a quote ill give it to
Posted on 4/13/2010 at 10:55 PM by jeremy clementi
@Jeremy, if you are uninsured and don't own a car, you'll need what’s called a Named Operator policy. Unfortunately, Progressive is not able to write Named Operator policies for new customers, so you’ll want to contact an independent agent who sells Named Operator policies. Then, you can obtain your SR-22.
Posted on 4/16/2010 at 9:11 AM by Brittany R.
I have already called and had my SR-22 filed, but need a copy for myself and to send out. How can I get a copy?
Posted on 6/21/2010 at 2:15 PM by rebecca
@rebecca, Please call (1-800-776-4737) or e-mail us (https://www.progressive.com/contact-us.aspx) to get copies of your SR-22.
Posted on 6/23/2010 at 9:13 AM by Brittany R.
hi, my boyfriend needs to know if he still needs an sr22 even if his 2 years ended in 2008? does he still have to get one? thanks
Posted on 9/3/2010 at 2:36 PM by alicia
@Alicia, Your boyfriend should contact his state's BMV or DMV to find out what he's required to file. Then, if he does need an SR-22, feel free to call us (1-800-PROGRESSIVE), and we can help him.
Posted on 9/15/2010 at 1:49 PM by Brittany R.
@George, please call us at 800.776.4737 to file an SR-22. We'll help you.
Posted on 10/8/2010 at 3:50 PM by Brittany R.
If Progressive has already calculated the renewal policy premium knowing that there is now a DWI on the driving record, does requesting an SR-22 mean that the renewal premium still could increase due to the SR-22 request? What is Progressive's charge for an SR-22 in New Hampshire?
Posted on 10/14/2010 at 7:21 PM by Patricia W.
I will be dropped from state farm auto insurance due to a DWI last year. This is my only blemish on my record. Am I able to get insurance through Progressive and file a SR22. I am married with two vehicles, one is financed the other is owned.
Posted on 10/19/2010 at 10:48 PM by Kurt
@Kurt, we’ll quote an insurance policy for you, and we can file your SR-22. Depending on where you live, we might charge a fee for the SR-22 filing. You can start your quote online or call us: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 10/22/2010 at 8:30 AM by Brittany R.
@Patricia, No, requesting an SR-22 won't affect your rate. We do charge $25 for SR-22 filings in New Hampshire. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 10/22/2010 at 8:34 AM by Brittany R.
Hello I was recently pulled over for no valid registration and also recvd a citation for no insurance. My inlaws own the car and the registration is in their name but when I had valid insurance it was under my name and I now need an SR22. My question is do they need to obtain an SR22 since im the one who received the citation?
Posted on 10/26/2010 at 1:07 PM by Joanna
Does the time limit an SR 22 is needed start from the time of the conviction of the offense, or does it begin from the time of re-instatement?
Posted on 10/27/2010 at 6:14 PM by JDM
@Joanna, Unless you're a listed driver on your in-laws' insurance policy, they don't need to do anything. (By the way, if you still an SR-22 quote, we can take care of that for you, online or over the phone.)
Posted on 10/28/2010 at 3:14 PM by Brittany R.
@JDM, Your state decides when your time limit starts. And, if you contact us to file an SR-22, the filing date will be the date your insurance policy starts (if you're a new customer), or the date we add the filing to your policy (if you're already a customer).
Posted on 11/3/2010 at 10:39 AM by Brittany R.
I have two vehicles do I have to pay sr22 on each one?
Posted on 11/18/2010 at 5:58 AM by Lenny S
I just found out that my license is suspended, and did not know it at the time I began my insurance policy. I need an sr-22 sent to my state agencies. How do I go about it?
Posted on 11/18/2010 at 1:02 PM by Rebecca Reine
<p>@Rebecca, Your insurer will file your SR-22. If you have a Progressive insurance policy, give us a call, so we can help you: 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 11/22/2010 at 12:40 PM by Brittany R.
@Lenny, No, you just need to file one SR-22, and we can take care of that for you. Please give us a call: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 11/22/2010 at 12:47 PM by Brittany R.
My husband just called that number and was told that we have to go through a local insurance agency to get an SR 22 operator policy for a Negligent Driving charge in 2007. I don't understand.
Posted on 12/27/2010 at 12:29 PM by Meghan
I am very confused. I am trying to get the cheapest insurance, because I am a student. I need an SR22 because I was driving without insurance and I wasn't aware of it. I have no idea what to do. I've been trying to get this taken care of for a while now, and I have gotten no help..I'm lost. I don't know what to do.
Posted on 12/27/2010 at 2:17 PM by Lauren
My 17 year old son had his license suspended and in order to reinstate he must file an SR22. I have seen/read all kinds of horror stories about State Farm cancelling insurance over this. We have had State Farm for over 25 years! Is there a way to take him off our policy and get his own coverage when he turns 18 (shortly after he is eligible to get his license reinstated)? Or would our current insurance still consider him a driver since he lives with us?
Posted on 12/30/2010 at 5:46 PM by Trish
I had a DUI in 2005. Does that still impact my insurance, and do I need to file an SR-22 still? I'm in California, but will be moving to Oregon.
Posted on 1/1/2011 at 8:27 PM by Kathryn
@Meghan, Unfortunately, Progressive is not able to write Named Operator policies for new customers, so that's most likely why we referred you to a local independent agent.
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:09 AM by Brittany R.
@Lauren, We can help you file your SR-22. Please start a quote online and indicate you'll need an SR-22; then, we'll quote your rate and any fees associated with filing the SR-22.
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:10 AM by Brittany R.
<p>@Trish, We'd be glad to provide a free car insurance quote for your son. You can do this quickly online. To find out how this would impact your State Farm policy, you'd need to contact State Farm.</p>
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:12 AM by Brittany R.
@Kathryn, It shouldn't---generally, we only review the last three years of your driving history.
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:13 AM by Brittany R.
My fiance had his license suspened for driving with no insurance and over due tags in TN over a year ago. He has since moved to south dakota. How do we find out what he needs to do to be a legal driver again?
Posted on 1/20/2011 at 3:03 PM by angel
@Angel, Please have your fiance contact the South Dakota BMV or DMV to find out what he's required to file. Then, if he needs an SR-22, we can help him with that. Just have him start a quote on our site or call us.
Posted on 1/28/2011 at 9:56 AM by Progressive
My license is suspended and I'm required to carry an sr 22 for 2 years. After obtaining an sr 22 will my license be valid even if its suspended till 11/30/2012
Posted on 1/29/2011 at 6:02 AM by Kyle carnes
My brother do not own a vehicle but his occupation require him to drive other people vehicle. Recently he had an accident in a customers vehicle and they did not have insurance. To keep this from happening again do he need to purchase SR22 insurance? He has valid drivers license also
Posted on 2/2/2011 at 5:25 PM by Terry
@Kyle, No, your license will remain suspended. An SR-22 simply shows proof of financial responsibility.
Posted on 2/4/2011 at 3:52 PM by Progressive
@Terry, Based on what you told us, your brother might consider a Named Operator policy, which covers drivers who don't own a vehicle but drive someone else's. Unfortunately, Progressive is not able to write Named Operator policies for new customers, so if he does decide to buy a Named Operator policy, he'll need to contact a local independent insurance agent.
Posted on 2/4/2011 at 3:53 PM by Progressive
I need to file a non owner SR22. I had a stroke and was too sick to maintain employment. My insurance was cancelled and the state of VA suspended my license. I have since sold the car and moved to MD. In order to get my license reinstated I will need to get insurance. How do I go about this?
Posted on 2/4/2011 at 8:33 PM by Michelle
I have a question i need to find out if I do file for SR22 will my license be valid? I do have insurance with progressive and am paying 25.00 for SR22 does that mean that I have it for that driver?
Posted on 2/13/2011 at 9:42 PM by luis
@Michelle, It depends on whether you bought a car since moving to MD. If you don’t own a vehicle, you probably need to buy a Named Operator policy, which covers drivers who don't own a vehicle but drive someone else's, along with an SR-22. Unfortunately, Progressive is not able to write Named Operator policies for new customers, so you’ll need to contact a local independent insurance agent to purchase one. If you do own a vehicle, then you probably just need an auto insurance policy and an SR-22, which you can get online. Just start a quote at the top of this page and indicate that you need an SR-22; we’ll include any fees associated with filing the SR-22 in your quote.
Posted on 2/15/2011 at 8:53 AM by Progressive
My brother is currently trying to get his license back but the DMV said he has to file an sr22, can that be done through any insurance or does it have to be through my current insurance company??? Can I get a quote from progressive?
Posted on 2/16/2011 at 7:15 PM by Mackenzie
@Mackenzie, Your brother should file the SR-22 with his auto insurer; however, if he's looking to switch companies, he can do so and file his SR-22 at the same time. We'd be glad to quote an auto insurance policy for him and file his SR-22. He can get a free quote here on our Web site (progressive.com).
Posted on 2/18/2011 at 9:02 AM by Progressive
@Luis, No, having an SR-22 doesn't necessarily mean your license is valid. It just shows proof of financial responsibility.
Posted on 2/18/2011 at 9:03 AM by Progressive
I have a 5 year license denial in Missouri due to DWI's. I am eligible for reinstatement soon and I have not yet acquired SR22 insurance. Will I still need SR22 insurance after the 5 years has passed for reinstatement?
Posted on 2/20/2011 at 5:43 PM by Clint
@Clint, You’ll need to contact your BMV or DMV to find out whether you still need SR-22 insurance. That’s something the state decides. If you still need it, we can quote a policy for you online here at progressive.com.
Posted on 2/28/2011 at 8:10 AM by Progressive
I got 2 tickets at different times. 1 in 2009 for speeding on 6/3/09 my insurance lapsed on 5/28/09 then I recieved a ticket on 10/20/2010 which i did not have any insurance. The Bmv said I need to provide proof of insurance for the above dates by having a form sent in from insurance company. If not I will be suspended for a year and pay 300 each reinstatement. even if I pay the reinstatement I will be suspended for the year. Is here anything I can do to fix this where I won't be suspended for this length of time?
Posted on 3/8/2011 at 1:32 PM by chuck
@Chuck, Unfortunately, we can't help with your question. You'll need to contact your BMV to find out if you have any alternate options.
Posted on 3/16/2011 at 8:42 AM by Progressive
If I need an SR22 but my current auto company does not offer that do I have to switch companies or can I keep my current policy and get the SR22 in addition from another company?
Posted on 4/12/2011 at 10:55 PM by Melanie
@Melanie, Unfortunately, you do need to file your SR-22 with your insurer. If you’d like, we can quote an insurance policy for you and file your SR-22. Depending on where you live, we might charge a fee for the SR-22 filing. You can start your quote online or call us: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 4/22/2011 at 1:44 PM by Progressive
My sister-in-law lost her license (signed to voluntarily surrender) for an accident in OH while uninsured over 10 yrs ago. Now she wants to get it back and cannot get the answers she needs from either the OH or PA DMV (she now lives in PA). Does she still need an SR-22 since it has been over 5 yrs?
Posted on 5/26/2011 at 11:14 AM by Susan
@Susan, Please have your sister-in-law give us a call at 1-800-776-4737, so we can find out more information and guide her on next steps.
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 4:05 PM by Progressive
I have a question. My boyfriend(of ten years) and I just bought a vehicle. He doesn't not have a drivers license nor will he ever have one. Due to medical issues. But about 12 years ago when he was a high school kid, he was in an accident. Now when I went to transfer the title to our new vehicle and because his name is on it they are telling me that he has to file an SR22. I am confused as to why? He has never had nor never will have a drivers license...but because of some jack*** mistake he made as a kid we can't transfer the title on our vehicle from the dealer to our or my name. His name is on it because he has better credit then myself so we wanted the lower interest rate...and the title in his name or my name. I would llove any suggestions or help please.
Posted on 6/27/2011 at 2:47 PM by Jessica
i need sr22 insurance and i dont have a job. i have enough money to pay for a year of insurance and i need to know if i need a pay stub to receive insurance.
Posted on 7/11/2011 at 10:20 PM by Ryan
<p>@Jessica, Based on what you've told us, we believe this is an issue you'd need to discuss and resolve with your state BMV. Please contact them, and if you still need to file an SR-22, we'd be happy to help.</p>
Posted on 7/13/2011 at 4:30 PM by Progressive
i called progressive about a SR22 three weeks ago and still have not recieved it. I need it for a work permit to drive equipment at work, and am about to be suspended because of how long it has taken me to get one because I can't get one in nebraska without the sr22.
Posted on 7/19/2011 at 2:52 AM by kenny
@Ryan, No, we don’t require a pay stub to start an insurance policy.
Posted on 8/11/2011 at 9:09 AM by Progressive
<p>@Kenny, We're sorry to hear this. We'll contact you at the email address you provided when you posted your comment.</p>
Posted on 8/11/2011 at 9:10 AM by Progressive
I bought progressive insurance policy last night and filed for am sr22. How ling until the sr22 will be filed at the DMV? And is there anyway I can check on the status so I don't waste trips to the DMV to reinstate my license?
Posted on 8/22/2011 at 11:14 PM by Marvin
While trying to get SR22 in Virginia, and I am eligible to get it, an insurance company said I can't get one because my wife (whose license had been suspended and she is not eligible to get her licencse until January 2012) lives with me. That means that because my wife has a suspended license I can't drive until she is eligible. DMV was unable to advise me. What can I do?
Posted on 8/26/2011 at 8:20 PM by Gene
@Marvin, In Virginia, your license status would be considered “suspended, eligible to reinstate,” so you should be insurable with the SR22. Your wife’s status is essentially “revoked,” so should be listed only on your policy as a resident of the household. You do need to call as this cannot be done online. Please call 800-776-4737.
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 11:33 AM by Progressive
@Marvin, We’d need to know a little more info to assist via a blog response. If you call 800-776-4737, we can answer those questions by reviewing your state's rules and looking at your policy.
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 12:34 PM by Progressive
I need sr22 insrurance i want to know if i can get that insurance on my license not on a car. Theres places here that offer insurance just on the license and it covers any car you are driving, so i dont have to insure all my cars. I wanted to know if you have that type of insurance also.
Posted on 9/14/2011 at 9:06 PM by Cesar
I am 30 years old and have no points on my record!I live in Indiana. My husband has a suspended drivers license but does not drive my vehicle. I need to get liablity insurance on my car however have been having difficulty doing this because my husbands license is suspended. I need insurance though, please help! Can you please tell me if your company would insure me. What can I do to get insurance.
Posted on 9/28/2011 at 5:13 PM by Jennifer
@Cesar - Progressive does offer Named Operator policies, but not in all states. However this type of coverage is not available for those who own a vehicle. Also, Named Operator policies do not provide physical damage coverage. In other words, a Named Operator policy will not repair the vehicle in the event of an accident.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:31 AM by Progressive
I need an sr-22 to get my license back. I'm not valid to get it until Jan 2012 but could I come in and pay for insurance and do paperwork now so I'm all set in January or should I/ do I have to wait? and also if I paid now would I be wasting money or could I set it up so insurance and sr-22 are active in January
Posted on 10/5/2011 at 4:46 PM by nick m
How do I get a quote for an sr22 if I don't own a vehicle but there is one available at my household, and will occasionally be required to drive it?
Posted on 10/13/2011 at 1:27 PM by Troy
do i still need a sr22 after my license has been reinstated ?
Posted on 10/13/2011 at 7:27 PM by Rocky
My boyfriend wants to drive a car in my name. He has SR22 insurance, do I need to purchase additional insurance for my car?
Posted on 10/17/2011 at 11:32 AM by kathy
Hi, last year i was arrested for a dui, but the case was dismissed in january and i was only charged with careless driving. Yesterday, i was pulled over for a simple traffic violation, and was told my license is under revocation and i had never followed the dmv reinstatement procedures and i was ticket for driving w/o a valid license; i was completely unaware of my revocation, because i had never received notice of my revocation and hold no documents from the courts stating my revocation. Today, i found out from the dmv, that i must fill out a SR-22 and pay some fees. I do not understand why i have to have a SR-22 if i was not convicted of a dui. Please can someone educate me!!!
Posted on 10/18/2011 at 5:31 PM by Mitchell
@Jennifer - Yes, we can insure you. Call 800-776-4737 anytime for a quote.
Posted on 10/19/2011 at 8:23 AM by Progressive
Hi, my 52 yr old husband received a dui for which we are still arbitrating. Never a parking ticket in his life let alone something like this. We are in WI. DMV did not revoke due to lack of evidence; however if the law convicts I am sure we are looking at getting dropped or a huge increase from State Farm. We also just added a 16 y/o new driver.. ouch. If State Farm increase instead of drops will Progressive just insure my husband? What is the best approach on this? Will we need an SR22 if he decides not to obtain a occupational licenses if the law revokes? Sorry for the many questions; but this whole thing is just crazy. We own outright both our cars; have no dept and have never had a ticket until this.
Posted on 10/20/2011 at 8:16 PM by Colleen
@Nick, @Troy, @Rocky: The SR-22 page in the Insurance Basics section on Progressive.com is a good source of information and should help to answer each of your questions. Please go to: http://www.progressive.com/shop/sr-22.aspx
Posted on 10/24/2011 at 9:38 AM by Progressive
Do I need SR-22 ins. AND liability ins. for me & my car? Are they two separate things?
Posted on 11/7/2011 at 7:45 PM by Eric B.
are SR22's filed electronically to DMV in California
Posted on 11/10/2011 at 6:25 PM by nichole
I currently have an SR22 on my auto through Esurance. I would like to insure a motorcycle also. How do I go about doing this, because Esurance will only do one SR22. Do I need to use two different insurance companies?
Posted on 11/21/2011 at 8:35 PM by Nathan
I am a current progressive costumer. I pay about 50 dollars a month and have a good driver discount. No other violations. and have been with your company for 4 years. I recently was convicted of a DUI. and 2800.1 misdemenaor eluding a piece officer. ( no reckless driving enhancment) My liscense is suspended and I need to get an SR-22 to obtain a restricted liscense. I tried putting in my info for a quote but keep getting quoted upwards 160 dollars a month. I have looked a the general and other companies which have offered me a rate of 122 a month. Will my status as a current costumer help me when you set my monthly rate?
Posted on 11/29/2011 at 11:39 PM by Robert
I recently married a man who has 3 DWIS in the past 5 years, he is unlicensed and does not drive. Can I get insurance excluding him from my policy? Or can I get a policy that is not extremely expensive? I have a clean driving record and am having difficulty finding coverage that I can afford.
Posted on 12/5/2011 at 3:36 PM by Miranda
@Colleen: Please call us at 1-800-776-4737, so we can better understand your situation and resolve your questions.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:50 AM by Progressive
@Mitchell: Please call us at 1-800-776-4737, so we can better understand your situation and resolve your questions.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:52 AM by Progressive
@Nathan: Most companies exclude motorcycles from being covered under the SR-22 filing. However, if you have an SR-22 bond or SR-22 filing for an auto policy, usually you are simply required to purchase an insurance policy with liability coverage for the motorcycle to be legal to drive, and a second SR22 filing isn't required. To check how your state handles these situations, please contact your local DMV, and they will determine if having your liability policy for the motorcycle and the SR-22 on the auto policy is acceptable.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:34 PM by Progressive
@Nichole, Yes, we file the SR22 electronically with California.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:36 PM by Progressive
<p>@Eric: The SR-22 is a filing you can add to your liability insurance for the car. In order to have an SR-22, you must have an insurance policy with liability coverage or a non-owner's policy with liability insurance.</p>
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:45 PM by Progressive
@Kathy: If your boyfriend is using your vehicle, he will need to be listed on your policy to ensure he's covered. For specific information regarding how he would need to be listed, because of the SR-22, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:52 PM by Progressive
@Robert: We would be happy to ensure your quote is accurate. To have us do so, please call 1-800-776-4737. Generally, when you make a change to your policy or complete a quote, all the discounts you're eligible for are included in your premium.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:57 PM by Progressive
@Miranda: In most states, we do offer the option to exclude your husband from coverage. We will require that he be listed on the policy as your husband, but usually we can exclude him or list him as "list only" where his driving history does not affect your rate. You can get a quote online and when you provide your husband's information, just be sure to answer "No" to the question, "Do you want this person covered under this policy?" If you'd rather talk to someone, we are available anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 10:04 AM by Progressive
Hi, I have a relative of mine that I would like to add as a list only on my policy. He had a dui about 2 years and 3 months ago and needs to get his license. I am trying to help him to get his license by adding him as the list only being he had to surrender his license. Will his name show on my policy as proof of insurance if I add him as a list only, in order for him to get his license at the DMV? Thanks!
Posted on 12/26/2011 at 9:33 PM by @Brandy
<p>@Brandy: To ensure this is a valid request for your state, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737. We would be happy to review your information and make sure he's listed accurately if this is a valid option.</p>
Posted on 1/3/2012 at 5:14 PM by Progressive
If I was required to have a suspended license and get an SR22, could i cancel my car insurance if I lived in an area where I did not need to drive or would I still be required to have insurance?
Posted on 1/18/2012 at 7:33 PM by Robert
@Robert: To get an SR-22, you would need to maintain continuous coverage. If you cancel your policy, your SR-22 gets canceled, too, and your state would be notified. If you no longer operate a vehicle, you can ask your insurer about getting a non-owner's policy along with the SR-22 to ensure that you meet your state's requirements.
Posted on 1/23/2012 at 11:41 AM by Progressive
I need an sr-22 and my current company doesnt provite an sr-22 . I own two cars one I dont really use but both are full coverage. Could I drop the one I drive from my current provider to go with one that offers and sr22 and leave the other car with my current provider? I'm in Texas if thats any help. thanks,Albert
Posted on 2/2/2012 at 7:23 AM by Alberto
@Alberto: Some states require you to have all vehicles on one policy if they're registered under your name and the state requires you to carry an SR-22; however, Texas is not one of them. If you would like a quote on a policy, please visit bit.ly/pgrSave.
Posted on 2/6/2012 at 11:04 AM by Progressive
I just had my license supended for ovi.i already have progressive,do I wait for you to send me papers or do I call you and start the process because I did get work privleges
Posted on 2/11/2012 at 8:14 AM by Jeffery
@Jeffery: Please call us at your earliest convenience: 1-800-776-4737. We can update your license status in our system and address any questions you have. Also, if the state requested that you carry an SR-22 (proof of financial responsibility), we can work with you to add it to your policy.
Posted on 2/16/2012 at 10:42 AM by Progressive
If you own a vehicle & are required to get a SR22 bond, are you required by law to list that owned vehicle on the bond? If you were involved in an accident & you own a car but it is not listed on the bond & you have no other coverage will you be sited for driving your vehicle without insurance coverage?
Posted on 2/17/2012 at 3:19 PM by Josh Biggs
@Josh: Because legal requirements can vary from state to state and situation to situation, we recommend that you check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles to verify the legal requirements of your SR-22 filing.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
well when i was 16 i got pulled over and did not have insurance so now i need sr22 but i was wondering how much more it would be because i am going to have a baby and i cant afford to spend a ton on car insurance i would rather walk. i am on a very tight budget and my husband and my insurance is going to be high any way because i am 17 and he is 18
Posted on 2/29/2012 at 3:06 PM by Jorie
@Jorie: We're here 24/7, and we'd be glad to help you file an SR-22 and get insurance for your vehicle. In many states, we offer a Name Your Price tool you can use when you quote online to find a coverage package that best fits your budget and your needs. You can start a quote online at bit.ly/pgrSave, or call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 3/1/2012 at 9:15 AM by Progressive
why aren't you telling people that an sr22 means a paid in full policy??? that is what I was told yesterday by a progressing customer service person. I am very frustrated because we don't have 1000.00 lying around, nor can we budget saving another 1000.00 -/+ for the next policy period on 5.5 months. How is a person supposed to survive with a financial burden like that? I have not savings and live paycheck to paycheck and now I do not know what to do
Posted on 3/3/2012 at 6:03 AM by kristen
@Kristen: Some states require policies with filings to be paid in full up front. In these cases, they are legal requirements, not Progressive requirements. Please call us at 800-776-4737 for a free policy review so that we can make sure we're saving you all we can.
Posted on 3/6/2012 at 8:31 AM by Progressive
hi i was wondering my boyfriend owns a car and i need sr22 to get mt license back can he add me as a driver and get sr22 that way
Posted on 3/13/2012 at 4:01 PM by tameika
@Tameika: Your boyfriend can add you to his policy as a driver and also obtain an SR-22 for you. To do so, he can call us at 1-800-776-4737, or he can log into his policy at progressive.com/login. He would need to provide us with your name, date of birth, driver's license number and possibly, depending on where you live, your SR-22 case number (for the SR-22 filing).
Posted on 3/14/2012 at 4:16 PM by Progressive
I have non-owner sr22 insirance, is it legal for me to drive a car that is registered in someone else's name?
Posted on 4/2/2012 at 12:28 PM by Jordan
@Jordan: The Non-Owners policy is designed specifically for that type of situation. It's meant to offer you basic liability coverage, so you can drive any vehicle, whether you own it or not.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:33 PM by Progressive
I had Sr22 for a year plan canceled for four months now back on . Do have to start my three years over?
Posted on 4/9/2012 at 8:52 PM by lashunda mcdowell
@Iashunda: The state doesn't notify us about how long a filing is needed. Please contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see how much longer you need to carry the SR-22.
Posted on 4/11/2012 at 8:56 AM by Progressive
I got into an accident recently, whilst driving on a suspended license (suspended for DUI). I've never changed my policy after the suspension or filled out an sr22. I was not at fault, and the other driver had insurance as well. Am i stll able to receive coverage for damages/hopspital fees?
Posted on 4/27/2012 at 4:54 PM by zeke
<p>@Zeke: We're sorry to hear about your recent accident and hope everyone is OK. The adjuster ultimately determines the payout in a claim. For more information, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 4:42 PM by Progressive
My daughter had her license suspended earlier this year and had to go on SR22. She works full time and attends college. The vehicle she drives is owned, insured and reigstered to myself and my husband. She was recently involved an accident with this vehicle and it will need to be repaired. While we are waiting on repairs, she is driving another vehicle of ours until hers is repaired. This vehicle is also owned, registered and insured to myself and husband. My question is this - is she still covered by the SR22 while she is driving this vehicle?
Posted on 5/8/2012 at 6:18 PM by Lucy
@Lucy: We're sorry to hear about your daughter's accident and hope she's okay. The SR-22 is linked to the policy and lets the state know your daughter has an active policy with liability coverage. You may want to call your insurer to make sure your daughter is covered by your policy while she's driving another vehicle.
Posted on 5/9/2012 at 4:55 PM by Progressive
CA DMV is requiring that I file an SR22 to reinstate my drivers license. This is from a suspension of my license from over 10 years ago. Per the DMV - It is not mandatory that I keep an SR22 on file for any amount of time - only that I file one to finalize the license re-issue. I do not own a car, nor do I have an insurance policy. How can I obtain a simple SR22 filing that does not have to be carried on an insurance policy for a long period of time?
Posted on 5/14/2012 at 4:00 PM by Dawn
@Dawn: We do not sell the SR-22 bond by itself. Since you don't own a vehicle, you may be able to purchase a Named Operator policy from one of our local agents, and we can include the SR-22 filing for California with it. A Named Operator policy offers basic liability coverage for you to drive any vehicle. To find a local agent, call us anytime at 1-800-876-5581 or visit progressiveagent.com.
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 9:11 AM by Progressive
I have three vehicles and an SR22 (State of Oregon) Two of the vehicles are "suspended" since I can't drive all three at the same time. My main vehicles has full coverage as do the others, but the other two are not active, hence the suspended mode. I am able to call my insurance agent when I am going to drive one of the "suspended" vehicles just to let them know, in case there is an accident. I am now told that I need to have all three vehicles in full coverage mode for the SR22 to be valid. Is this true?
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 6:55 PM by Cindy
@Cindy: Unfortunately, even with the detail you gave us, we can't provide a specific response. If you have a Progressive policy, please contact your agent for further assistance or call us at 1-800-776-4737. We're here to help anytime.
Posted on 5/21/2012 at 2:48 PM by Progressive
i need a quote for a non owned sr22
Posted on 5/24/2012 at 3:48 PM by sara
I just got my first no insurance ticket do I need a sr22??? No one told my anything about it ?
Posted on 5/29/2012 at 11:55 AM by eddie
I was involved in an accident trying to avoid hitting some deer, my truck ended up in a ditch , and may be totaled. I do not have collision/comprehensive coverage, however, I do have an SR-22. They r sending an adjuster out to notify me of my options....does this mean my vehicle repair may be covered?????
Posted on 6/2/2012 at 11:06 PM by Norman
@Eddie: Generally, it's best to consult with your DMV about whether you need an SR-22. If you do, then we could supply the SR-22 filing to the state on your behalf.
Posted on 6/6/2012 at 5:15 PM by Progressive
@Norman: We're sorry to hear about your accident and hope you're OK. When you hit an animal, comprehensive coverage would pay out. If you don't collide with the animal, collision would pay out. In either case, physical damage (comprehensive and/or collision) would have to be on your policy to cover the loss. If you have additional questions, it's best to contact your adjuster.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 8:58 AM by Progressive
@Sara: If you don't own a vehicle, you may be able to purchase a Named Operator policy from one of our local agents, and we can include the SR-22 filing with it. A Named Operator policy offers basic liability coverage for you to drive any vehicle. To find a local agent, call us anytime at 1-800-876-5581 or visit progressiveagent.com.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 9:06 AM by Progressive
My husband is required to have an sr 22 for the next three years, we got one for the auto insurance but we also have a motorcycle that has a different insurance company. Do we need to get an sr 22 on the motorcycle policy also?
Posted on 6/14/2012 at 9:46 PM by Lisa
@Lisa: Depending on your state, all vehicles registered in your husband's name may need to carry the SR-22. Please contact your Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if this is required.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:59 AM by Progressive
The best part is progressive fills the Sr-22 for you. I don't have to do anything but the insurance policy thank you.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 8:55 PM by Jose Lopez
i need sr22 insurance how much does it cost in Illinois?
Posted on 6/27/2012 at 11:43 PM by Brock Lawrence
I have a ticket for no insurance and I got another one for having no insurance and I need sr22 but I don't know much it costs and I have insurance on the vehicle I own but not with you guys and I was suggested that you'd help me. I live in illionois and I am 18. How cheap can I pay this a month?
Posted on 6/28/2012 at 12:06 AM by Brock
@Jose: You're welcome! Glad we could help.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 8:35 AM by Progressive
@Brock: We would be glad to quote a policy for you. You can start a quote here on progressive.com, or call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 10:24 AM by Progressive
I recently left the State of California and now reside in Missouri. I procured an agent there who insured me with Acuity Insurance. I told the Agent I needed an SR-22 and she told me she filed one. I've come to find out that since Acuity doesn't write in California, that the State of California will not accept an electronic filing from them and it must be submitted by mail. Consequently, when I dropped my previous Insurer, they contacted California and dropped the SR-22 and my license was suspended. Now for my problem, Acuity mailed the DL-300 and Declarations 4 weeks ago. I sent the same information hard signed with all the requisite information by express mail 3 weeks ago. I call them daily at the proper phone number in Sacramento and they consistently tell me they haven't the information and I was told today they could find it nowhere in there cue. I'm pretty much at my wits end here as I've been made a criminal by no fault of my own. If I purchase a new vehicle policy via your web-site and request an SR-22, how long will it be before the SR-22 is actually on file with California? I need the SR-22 so California will release to Missouri and I'm able to procure a Missouri License. I'm truly in a CATCH-22 ......can Progressive help me quickly???
Posted on 7/6/2012 at 10:50 PM by jeff Compton
@Jeff: We're sorry to hear about your recent experience, and we'd be happy to start a policy for you. We send California filings electronically every weeknight (excluding holidays). For a quote, call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 8:28 AM by Progressive
I need to get an SR22 filed. I bought insurance, paid my ticket. now they are asking for an SR22. I am the only one at fault, but they require that my wife be on the policy and she has a suspended license. (state of florida). Is there anything I can do, last time I called I don't think I explained everything so well, just giving it another shot. Kinda out of options.
Posted on 7/22/2012 at 8:34 PM by matt
@Matt: We'd be glad to help, but it's difficult to offer advice without additional information from you. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737. We're available 24/7.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:57 PM by Progressive
I have an sr22 through progressive. I am not currently driving the covered vehicle and probably wont be for a while due to needed repairs, I am driving someone else's insured vehicle. Is there a cheaper way of coverage or do I just need to keep it as is?
Posted on 8/2/2012 at 2:55 AM by Christina
Who would I contact to see if my sr 22 can be removed from my policy? My DWI is almost 10 years old. Thanks.
Posted on 8/3/2012 at 1:35 PM by Melanie Dee Claborn
I am looking to get my license back but I just got a 05 honda shadow I was wanting to know if there is a way to get insurance on the bike just in case is there anyway to do that?
Posted on 8/6/2012 at 2:30 PM by Zachary
@Christina: An SR-22 requires you to maintain liability insurance coverage; however, you choose your level of coverage. Please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737 to discuss in more detail.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 9:59 AM by Progressive
@Zachary: You'll need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state to find out whether you still need your SR-22.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 10:56 AM by Progressive
@Zachary: Depending on your state, we can write you a policy with a expired or suspended license. For more information and a quote, call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 11:23 AM by Progressive
How far back does progressive look for DUI's.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 4:06 PM by scott
I've been trying to find out where I can remove the SR-22. I called you Progressive and all you guys said was to get a hold of the "State", which would be California (CA) for me. Where specifically do I contact the State at? What office, branch or sector? There is nothing on the DMV California site that tells me where I can check if I can remove this. My DUI happened 10 years ago and I have been paying 15 dollars extra and 15 renewal fee each time for SR-22 and you guys do not even contact me to let me know its not required anymore.
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 12:18 PM by Steve
@Scott: In most states, we look back three years for DUIs; however, in California, we go back 10 years.
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 4:25 PM by Progressive
I've been trying to find out where I can remove the SR-22. I called you Progressive and all you guys said was to get a hold of the "State", which would be California (CA) for me. Where specifically do I contact the State at? What office, branch or sector? There is nothing on the DMV California site that tells me where I can check if I can remove this. My DUI happened 10 years ago and I have been paying 15 dollars extra and 15 renewal fee each time for SR-22 and you guys do not even contact me to let me know its not required anymore.
Posted on 8/23/2012 at 12:14 PM by Steve
A friend of mine has lost his license due to an ovi. His job requires that he be able to drive. He drives the company equipment and vehicles on the roads. Will an sr22 bond cover him for this? The companies insurance has been advised even with driving priveledges they recommend not allowing him to drive.
Posted on 8/25/2012 at 9:30 AM by Jen
Posted on 9/5/2012 at 11:12 AM by AMY BROWNE
@Jen: An SR-22 simply advises the state that your friend has insurance. It has no impact on whether he's legally licensed to drive within the state.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 10:22 AM by Progressive
@Steve: We're sorry for confusing you. We can remove the SR-22, but first you'll want to confirm that you don't need it. You can do that by contacting the California Department of Motor Vehicles at 1-800-777-0133. Once you get confirmation, please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 10:31 AM by Progressive
if i have a umbrella polacy of one million dollars, do i still need a sr22?
Posted on 9/12/2012 at 3:39 PM by carlos valente
Is sr-22 insurance more expensive and if so does your rate drop when you no longer need it I live in California if that matters
Posted on 10/2/2012 at 5:05 AM by victor
@Victor: When we include an SR-22 on a California policy, we charge a filing fee. Generally, there are no additional fees. We'd be glad to quote this for you online or over phone at 1-800-888-7764.
Posted on 10/3/2012 at 9:18 AM by Progressive
With a sr22, can I drive any vehicle and can I also ride my motorcycle? My license is suspended because of DUI and my job requires to road test some customers vehicle. So since that is work related will I be ok?
Posted on 10/9/2012 at 2:14 AM by Alex
My license is suspended right now due to points on my license when i went to the dmv they told me in order to reinstate my license i need a non owners sr22 since i dont own a vehicle but i do live with my mom she has a car under her name and i was reading online that you cannot get a non owners sr22 if you own a car or live with someone who has a car under their name so my question is how can i get a non owners sr22 if i live with my mom that has a car under her name in order to get my license reinstated in the state of florida
Posted on 10/10/2012 at 8:17 AM by Bebo
<p>@Alex: An SR-22 filing isn't a vehicle-specific document, but you need to have a vehicle for us to write one. In other words, we'd write a policy for your current vehicle, then add an SR-22. This simply reports to the state that you have an active policy. If you have additional questions, please give us a call.</p>
Posted on 10/10/2012 at 4:44 PM by Progressive
@Bebo: We don't write "Named Operator" policies; however, we can refer you to one of our agents, who may be able to help. Please give us a call 1-800-776-4737. The restrictions that you mentioned may not be the same for all auto insurance companies. An agent can recommend the best option for you.
Posted on 10/11/2012 at 1:20 PM by Progressive
BASICALLY TO EVERYONE..DON'T ASK ANY QUESTIONS AS YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET ANY ANSWER OTHER THAN CALL A PROGRESSIVE AGENT SO DON'T BOTHER TO TAKE THE TIME TO POST YOUR QUESTION. THEY ARE NOT HERE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS. THEY ARE HERE TO SEND YOU TO CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS AND SELL YOU INSURANCE! now there is nothing wrong with that, they are a business, but this isn't a question/answer forum. for those people who recently posted questions....I don't know what to say other than that you should read the other answers and avoid yourself frustation :<)
Posted on 10/30/2012 at 3:23 PM by Ryan
my son never had a drivers license when he was arrested for dui a golf cart.he still doesnt have a drivers license, does he have to have sr22 when he doesnt drive or have a license?
Posted on 11/1/2012 at 4:58 AM by penny ackerson
@Penny: An SR22 is a form your insurer files with the state to certify that you have insurance. Because your state, not your insurance company, determines if a driver is required to carry an SR22, we recommend that your son contacts the Department of Motor Vehicle.
Posted on 11/6/2012 at 9:59 AM by Progressive
Hi I am required to have SR-22 for three years due to a DUI. But I was wondering if that is 3 years from judgement or 3 total years? I've had SR-22 for the last 6 months but it looks like I will now be without a car for 4 months. I do not intend to drive anything for at least 4 months and have determined it would ultimately be to cheaper to temporary cancel the insurance. I know my license will be suspended, which is fine. I was just wondering if if this will "restart" my 3 years requirement...? Say I just don't drive for 3 years and have a suspended license. At the end of that 3 years would I still need SR-22? Thanks!
Posted on 11/18/2012 at 8:21 PM by Brian
my daughter drove her boyfriends car, but was pulled over for out of date tags. the boyfiend and my daughter has insurance, but my daughter did not have her insurance card with her. she proved she had insurance at the dmv, but they told her she had to file for an SR22. is this correct?
Posted on 11/21/2012 at 6:19 PM by evalynn
@Evalynn: we're sorry to hear about this. If the state is requiring your daughter to carry an SR-22, she'll have to file one. It's possible they're requiring this because she was driving a vehicle with expired tags, or that she didn't have proof of insurance with her at the time she was pulled over. Have your daughter contact her local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see exactly why they're requiring the SR22.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:23 PM by Progressive
Hey i asked a question like 3 weeks ago. Thanks for answering other people but not me. Stellar customer service... Looks like i will cancel my progressive insurance now. Thanks anyways i guess
Posted on 12/10/2012 at 4:48 PM by Brian
If you have a non-owners sr22 and an.accident occurs while your driving a friends vehicle will his/her car be covered??
Posted on 12/12/2012 at 6:45 PM by justin
My husband was just convicted of a OWI in Indiana. He will not get his license back for another 6 months, so I don't need to worry about the SR22 until his license is reinstated, do I? My biggest concern is that we have 5 vehicles, will we have to carry high risk on all of them?
Posted on 12/17/2012 at 4:22 PM by Jeanette
@Justin: Generally, your friend's coverage would be used first in the event of an accident. Our claims adjuster would determine whether or not we'd pay out any additional coverage.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:04 AM by Progressive
@Jeanette: At this point, unless the state tells your husband that he needs to carry an SR-22, there is nothing you need to do. Since he won't be driving any of the vehicles, have him check with our customer service department to see if we can "exclude" him from coverage under the policy. It could help reduce your rate. Give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 12/20/2012 at 4:04 PM by Progressive
My Husbands license has been suspended since February. He is eligible for reinstatement but needs and SR22. When his license was suspended, I removed him from my insurance because he wasn't driving. Since that time I have changed insurance providers and my current provider will not add him to my policy or provide an SR22 because of underwriter policies. Would he be able to get liablility insurance and an SR22 from Progressive?
Posted on 12/20/2012 at 5:07 PM by Faith Kingsley
the dmv in the state of virginia tells me i need to file an sr22 to get my license back. at the time i had the vehicle. the financial company repo the car almost a month ago. can i stil file sr22 without an vehicle? how could i get the sr22 to get my license back with out a vehicle? i need a license for job purposes.
Posted on 12/22/2012 at 3:52 PM by montrell
@Faith: Give us a call anytime at 1-855-266-8485, and we'd be happy to go over your options for a policy with an SR-22 for your husband, and answer any questions you have.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 9:58 AM by Progressive
@Montrell: Depending on your state, we may be able to write a policy for you, without listing a vehicle. For more information, call us at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:23 AM by Progressive
I have a car and a motorcycle. Do I need to keep an SR22 on both policies or will the auto policy suffice? Does Progressive do motorcycle SR22 filings?
Posted on 1/3/2013 at 11:00 PM by Dan
If my wife requries a sr22 , how does it affect me and my driving record if we are on the same insurance policy? is it only her info that gets reported and my record never shows an sr22?
Posted on 1/5/2013 at 11:22 AM by Mike Rose
@Dan: It depends on your state. Please call us at 855-266-8485 for more information.
Posted on 1/10/2013 at 9:19 AM by Progressive
If you already have liability insurance do you need just to get the SR22 document stating that you have insuance? I think it is like $25.00?? I think that I am over paying. I have my son on my car insurance but just spent $1600.00 on a SR22? Seems that I am paying for his insurance twice!!
Posted on 1/15/2013 at 2:12 PM by Melissa
@Melissa: When you carry an SR22, depending on your state, there may be a surcharge applied to your policy, in addition to the filing fee. For more information on this, call us anytime at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/21/2013 at 4:49 PM by Progressive
If I file an SR-22 as a secondary driver to my mothers vehicle( I do not own my own), am I covered to drive any vehicle?
Posted on 1/28/2013 at 5:07 PM by Tara Valentine
@Tara: To answer your question, we'd need to look over your policy. Please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/31/2013 at 9:59 AM by Progressive
My husbands license are suspended & we have to send in an sr-22 to get his license back. We have progressive but I'm wondering if ask for one that they will not cover us anymore BC that is what farmers bureau did?
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 2:38 PM by brandie
I was suppose to carry SR-22 for three years, but after two and a half i couldn't afford it anymore, so do I have to start the three years over?
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 2:35 PM by Kurt
I would like to clarify information about an SR22 my 19 year old has. With an SR22, does it cover him if he drives another person's car or does it cover ONLY his CAR? So if he is in accident he causes, it covers his and the other person's medical expenses and the other person's property damage. If it covers him while driving someone's car, does it provide for property damage and medical payments to the driver he hits? Also, he wants to buy another car, does the SR22 he currently have, cover the car he is considering buying or does he have to drop his current car and bond his new car? I know there are a lot of questions, but a 19 year old, let alone a man, doesn't think to ask the right questions to protect himself. He is excluded from our insurance so he is not able to drive our car, I just want to be sure I understand how the SR22 works. Thank you in advance.
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 6:09 PM by Shelley
I'm currently insured with progressive and they file an SR22 for my current state of SC. I'm relocating from SC to Ohio in the next 30 days. Will I be required to maintain my SC sr22 when I switch to an Ohio DL?
Posted on 2/12/2013 at 3:56 PM by Rob
@Rob: Yes. We recommend that you contact the South Carolina DMV to verify that the SR22 is still required, and if it is, add it to your new Ohio policy.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 2:48 PM by Progressive
@Kurt: You'll want to contact your DMV. The state decides if and for how long you need an SR22. We simply supply the state with your SR22 filing.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 4:36 PM by Progressive
@Shelley: An SR-22 filing isn't insurance. It's simply a legal form issued by an insurance company to a state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) that: • Removes suspension order placed on an individual's driving privileges by the DMV (usually due to a DUI, accident or driving without insurance) • Provides a guarantee to the DMV that the driver requiring the filing maintains at least minimum liability coverage for a set period of time and • Guarantees that the insurance company will notify the DMV if the coverage should cancel or lapse. The SR-22 is filed on the driver, not the vehicle. An Owner/Operator type filing would cover a driver for owned and non-owned vehicles. Since it's not a specific coverage type, just a way of letting the state know what coverage someone has, it wouldn't be impacted by the vehicle a driver is using.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 4:43 PM by Progressive
I was wrongly charged and after 2 years of fighting just had a no operators insurance charge in Oregon state removed from my record. I have had to carry an SR22 for the past 2 years and pay inflated premiums to cover the risk. Since my charge is being removed from my driving record as of November 2010, can I ask for my paid premiums and SR22 fees back retroactively?
Posted on 2/19/2013 at 3:30 PM by Chris
all you guys seem to say is call cs. that sounds dishonest. why don't you just answer questions?
Posted on 2/20/2013 at 1:06 AM by j
My girlfriend needs SR-22 insurance, but she has no car. I work on the road a lot, and basically when I'm not home I let her use my car while I'm gone. Is she legally aloud to drive my car or do I need to get special insurance or anything?
Posted on 2/26/2013 at 12:16 PM by Josh Wells
I just got my sr 22 pink slip ,and got license back from dui.I live in Rhode Island .With a sr 22 am i allowed to drive my friends car ??? My buddy said i would be safe because it covers my Drivers License .(insurance is required in rhode isalnd,other states are different i assume for those who dont know)
Posted on 3/1/2013 at 5:22 PM by MATT
I needed an SR22, went to an independent insurer and received progressive insurance yesterday. My question is does progressive file electronic SR22s in Ohio and Virginia? My current suspension is in Ohio and I can apply for my Virginia license after my SR22 is processed.
Posted on 4/9/2013 at 2:48 PM by Rachael Spencer
@Matt: It's hard to answer this question without looking over your policy. We're not sure if you have a liability policy or simply the SR-22 bond. Please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 4/10/2013 at 1:44 PM by Progressive

Post a Comment

Quote & Buy Online