Why Choose Roadside Assistance?

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 11/10/2008 at 1:00 PM

With Roadside Assistance coverage, you don't have to worry about being stranded on the road.

Sometimes bumps in the road really are, well … bumps in the road. And when one of them blows out your tire at rush hour, you need more than a philosophical attitude to get back behind the wheel.

That's why Progressive offers Roadside Assistance coverage on car insurance policies. With Roadside Assistance, we'll send a fast, reliable service provider to you for auto emergencies — whether you're on the freeway or in your own driveway.

Maybe you've locked your keys in the car, run out of gas, or need a battery jump. If any of these dilemmas sound familiar, Roadside Assistance could be a good coverage choice for you.

Advantages of Roadside Assistance Coverage

Progressive customers who choose Roadside Assistance coverage enjoy these benefits:

• Towing — If your car breaks down, Roadside Assistance pays to tow it anywhere within a 15-mile radius. It also pays to tow your car to the nearest qualified repair facility, even if it's farther than 15 miles away.
  • Flat Tire Change — We'll send a professional to you who can change your tire and put the spare on while you wait.
  • Locksmith Service — If your keys are lost, stolen or locked in the car, Roadside Assistance covers you. We'll send a qualified service provider to help recover them. If the keys need replacing, you simply pay for the cost of the keys.
  • Battery Jump-Start — When your battery dies, we'll come to you and jump-start it.
  • Emergency Fuel and Fluid Delivery — If you run out of gas, you can have fuel delivered to you. You simply pay for the cost of the fuel; delivery and service are free. Same goes if your car overheats: We'll deliver the necessary fluids to get you running again, and you pay only the cost of the fluids.

Is Roadside Assistance a Good Value?

You could pay less than $15 for an entire six months of coverage when you choose Roadside Assistance for your car insurance policy. With just one emergency response, the coverage could easily pay for itself. You might pay around $200 to have your car towed to the nearest shop, but with Roadside Assistance, you pay nothing but your premium. Consider it financial protection from unforeseen out-of-pocket expenses.

How to Add Roadside Assistance Coverage to Your Policy

Simply add Roadside Assistance to your policy online, or feel free to call us 24/7 at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE. You can add Roadside Assistance to your policy at any time.

Comments

Progressive Roadside Assistance Coverage is excellent and well worth adding to your policy. I have used it many times and am so glad I have it.
Posted on 8/31/2010 at 3:31 PM by Alex
Roadside assistance is a joke. My husband has waited 3 hours and is still waiting to be towed to a auto shop.
Posted on 2/6/2012 at 1:32 PM by Juli Walterman
@Juli: We're sorry for the delay. We send the closest available truck to you when you need assistance. For future reference, you can contact a company of your choice and request a reimbursement for it later.
Posted on 2/7/2012 at 4:23 PM by Progressive
Totally agree I had a bad battery and progressive's automated phone made it all happen they arrived in less than 15 mins I was surprised no kidding good job progressive!
Posted on 2/20/2012 at 2:56 AM by Ivan Rivas
@Ivan: It's our pleasure!
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 11:01 AM by Progressive
Very frustrating. Diamond policy member, about 6yrs now. Left lights on and battery died, found I didn't have roadside on my policy. Called to add it, $6 a month, no biggie... BUT I would be unable to use it to get a jump start right now because its 'like adding collision after an accident'. You HAVE to be kidding me. Calling AAA now.
Posted on 3/16/2012 at 11:38 AM by Jake
@Jake: We understand your frustration. Unfortunately, what we told you over the phone is correct. When you buy insurance, you're insuring against something happening in the future, not after the fact. If you'd still like to add Roadside Assistance to your policy, in most instances it's $6-7 per six-month policy term, and you can use it as often as needed.
Posted on 3/19/2012 at 2:19 PM by Progressive
I stayed 9 hours waiting for help while 5 different agents & managers called over 30 people to come help me with a blow out at 9:30 at night. I am a 59year old woman who didnt get help till 6:30 in the morning then i had to be towed to a tire shop and forced to buy 2 new tires because someone else decided to use my jack & lug wrench and not return it without my knowledge. So therefore no one had a lugwrench for an Eclipse. You call that Road Side Assistance? Not me!
Posted on 4/16/2012 at 2:29 AM by judy vincent
<p>@Judy: We're very sorry to hear about your experience. Average response time is usually 45-60 minutes. This may vary based on location, weather, &amp; service provider availability. If you'd like to discuss further, please give us a call: 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 4/17/2012 at 3:15 PM by Progressive
Today I got a flat tire and I called progressive at 10:15am and they said the guy was suppose to arrive at 10:57am, I sat in the parking lot for 2 1/2 hours and still no assistance. I called the progressive to see what was taking so long , they couldn't even get in contact with the person. Finally he called and said he was 15 minutes away and still he didn't show up. I went into the store and some workers changed my tire and he still didn't arrive. Then another hour went by then the guy calls and say I need to call progressive to cancel the call because someone else helped me. He could have at least say he was sorry. I'll never call progressive again. Their road side assistance is a BIG JOKE!!
Posted on 4/17/2012 at 5:03 PM by Deangela
Wow guys, these people do there best to help you and this is what they get? No offense but all of your problems were either your fault, or the fault of the tow companies themselves. We used AAA before and had the same problems as your saying here. Its not Progressive, its the companies that are suppose to help you. They rarely have a sense of urgency because guess what? You aint going nowhere! I plan on adding Roadside because I really dont feel like being stranded on big trips. Thanks
Posted on 4/27/2012 at 12:19 AM by Jeremy Bosetski
@Jeremy: Thanks for your feedback! We'd be glad to help you add Roadside Assistance to your policy; just give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 11:28 AM by Progressive
How can a flat tire or any vehicle emergency be someone's fault? Please think before you try to fault anyone. You pay for a service , you expect to get it. One shouldnt have to wait hours and hours for help ,that's their job.
Posted on 5/4/2012 at 10:02 PM by dee
@Dee: We're sorry to hear you had to wait for service. When you contact us in a situation like the ones you mentioned, we send the closest available person to assist you. Generally, service is provided within the hour, and varies depending on the distance and time of day. We would love to hear your feedback directly. Please call our Roadside Assistance Department at 1-800-776-2778.
Posted on 5/7/2012 at 4:12 PM by Progressive
Well first of all, a blow out is your fault, as is leaving your lights on, keys in the car and other human error issues. Look at the road and inspect your own tires and you won't need this assistance. As for my situation, the towing service was great! I had a belt that came off and the lack of an alternator ran the battery down. I was miles away from a repair facilities and couldn't make it to one with an electric fuel pump needing the battery power. Tow service was here within an hour and I was on my way from there. Thank you Progressive!!!
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 1:04 PM by Billy
@Billy: You're welcome! Glad we could help!
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 1:12 PM by Progressive
I have to agree with Jeremy above. My fiance has a competing insurance company (SF) and when she had two flat tires several hundred miles from home, their customer service wouldn't do anything more than say they could Google tow companies in our area and would reimburse us for whatever costs we incurred- not helpful! After 5 hours of sitting in the cold, a tow truck finally showed up to tow us away. Forget paying the $$$ for AAA, go with the Progressive Roadside for small $ and have someone that can help you.
Posted on 5/23/2012 at 3:07 PM by Justin F
Never had roadside assistance, car broke down on me and I needed a tow. Called progressive added RA, and 24 hrs later I used it. I received an txt mess telling me who was coming and an estimated arrival of an hr, the tow truck was their in less than 40mins and the guy was very nice. I guess it considers the area, for the assistance, but me personally I didn't wait long, love progressive RA. Thanks!
Posted on 5/25/2012 at 9:04 PM by Shakema brinson
I've never had a problem with Progressive's Roadside program. Every time I call I have a response within an hour and the people they send out are always friendly. For everyone throwing a fit about time spent waiting, remember, it's not under Progressive's control ALL the time. It's also up to the tow/assistance company and how many tows or calls they have before you, all they do is quote Progressive a time and the representative tells you what they get told. Progressive cares how long you've been with them but the tow/assistance company may not and I'm sure Progressive screens the companies they use for this program to keep less desirable companies out but they can't catch all of them.
Posted on 6/1/2012 at 9:10 PM by Derik
@Justin: Glad our Roadside Assistance has been a good value for you!
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 9:16 AM by Progressive
<p>@Shakema: You're welcome!&nbsp;Glad we could be there to help you!</p>
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 9:17 AM by Progressive
@Derik: Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 9:19 AM by Progressive
A couple of months ago I got to work and did not shut my door completely, when I came down to leave 8 hours later my battery was dead, I did not have RA at the time and had to pay $65 for a tow company to come jump my car for me, three weeks after that I locked my keys in my car (again at work) and have to pay $120 for a locksmith to come out. Both instances took about 2 mins to correct but I had to wait hours and hours for them to show up. The following day after I locked my keys in my car, my co-worker calls to tell me she had a flat tire and was waiting on RA, she was an hour late for work but got there and paid nothing to have someone change her tire. I added RA to my policy that day for only $9, if only I had added it a month earlier it could have saved me $176 dollars. Both of the instances were due to my carelessness however having to wait for a tow truck driver and locksmith are very very fustrating, but I doubt if I couldn't get them there than the progressive agent couldn't have done any better, however it would have been much much cheaper.
Posted on 6/19/2012 at 1:24 PM by Toni
Will Progressive pay to tow your car from your house to the dealer? My computer went out on the car after Tropical Storm Debby. I have to get it towed to the dealer so they can program the new one to my car.
Posted on 7/3/2012 at 7:01 PM by Michelle joiner
@Michelle: We're sorry to hear about your car troubles. If you have Roadside Assistance on your policy, you can have your car towed to a location of your choice within 15 miles, with no out-of-pocket expense. To use your Roadside Assistance, call 1-800-776-2778.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 12:40 PM by Progressive
I've been a Progressive policy holder for about 10 yrs. and the roadside assistance has been Excellent !! I am a previous AAA employee who worked as a Dispatcher. I have seen all of these senarios and bottom line is the tow truck driver will get there when they get there ! There is nothing Progressive can do to get them there any faster, we can do some things like having spare tires, spare key, jump boxes and other things to help ourselves.
Posted on 7/8/2012 at 6:27 PM by Carmella
@Carmella: Glad to have you as a customer! Thanks for the post!
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 8:59 AM by Progressive
The timing belt went out on my car and had to have my car towed to a shop. It took about an hour from first phone call to Progressive to my car being picked up. That's excellent customer service, considering had I called directly I would probably still be waiting! Let me add this was a Sunday evening around 4:30 PM. This is the first time I have needed roadside assistance in my 7+ years with Progressive, but I highly recommend it to all! Much needed help at a much needed time! Thanks!
Posted on 7/25/2012 at 11:45 AM by Cyndi
@Cyndi: So glad we could help! Thanks for being a customer!
Posted on 7/25/2012 at 2:05 PM by Progressive
I'm a Progressive agent in Phoenix Arizona and have had several customers request Roadside Assistance. Never had a complaint as of yet. The companies that provide roadside for Progressive should perform to the expected standards, and if not Progressive should be notified so they can address the issue with them. I always follow up with my customers to make sure they are satisfied with the services... So Far....So Good.
Posted on 8/13/2012 at 4:22 PM by James LaVerdi
"Towing — If your car breaks down, Roadside Assistance pays to tow it anywhere within a 15-mile radius. It also pays to tow your car to the nearest qualified repair facility, even if it's farther than 15 miles away." Can you further explain this, it doesn't really make sense. RA pays to tow 15 miles, or if it's further than 15 miles than it pays for that? Can you clarify exactly how many miles are covered?
Posted on 9/18/2012 at 12:57 PM by Sarah B
@Sarah: We will tow your vehicle anywhere you request within a 15-mile radius. If you're in a remote area with no qualified facility within 15 miles, we will tow your vehicle to the nearest qualified facility.
Posted on 9/25/2012 at 9:56 AM by Progressive
I'm weighing RA options and currently am insured through Progressive and have AAA for RA. AAA will provide road service for whatever car you're in as long as you have your card... so if you're on a road trip with a friend you can get assistance for their car. Does Progressive do similar or does it just cover the cars on your policy?
Posted on 10/2/2012 at 12:11 PM by Karl
@Karl: Progressive's Roadside Assistance covers the vehicles listed on your policy. For more information, visit progressive.com/auto/progressive-car-insurance/roadside-assistance or give us a call.
Posted on 10/3/2012 at 9:13 AM by Progressive
awesome service, had to use it twice in the last month once on each car. Just awesome !
Posted on 10/11/2012 at 6:55 PM by Cory Sampson
Wife broke down at 6:55am car was in the shop by 7:38am. First experience with Progressive RA am quite pleased
Posted on 10/26/2012 at 8:34 AM by Jon
@Cory: Glad to hear you're satisfied! And glad to have you as a customer.
Posted on 11/5/2012 at 9:49 AM by Progressive
@Jon: We're glad to hear this. Thanks for being a customer!
Posted on 11/5/2012 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
This was my first time using my road service and it was for a flat tire in my driveway on a Saturday night. A guy showed up in a compact car. He couldn't get the lug nuts off of my wheel. I did it for him and went back into my house. After some time had passed I went outside to see what was taking so long. The guy told me he couldn't lower the spare tire which was under my car and that the mechanism was faulty. As it turned out the mechanism was not faulty. I had to take my tire Sunday morning to put air into it. I took my car to a garage for the faulty mechanism and it worked fine. This was by far the WORST road service that I could have ever imagined.
Posted on 11/19/2012 at 11:54 AM by Bill T
@Bill: We're very sorry you had this experience. Please call us at 1-855-266-8485, so we can talk about what happened.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:15 PM by Progressive
I was driving a friend to the airport this morning and it was snowing really heavily. The car spinned and fell off the highway, and we couldn't get it back on so we called a commercial towing company. The bill was like $200 because it was half way between my town and the airport where it happened and we were 35 miles from home. Can I get reimbursed, how much, and will it increase my premiums? There was no accidents, no injuries nor damages to the car.
Posted on 12/9/2012 at 3:39 PM by Charlotte
Saved the misery of me being stuck on a freeway 26 miles from home. There reliable in estimates had help under an hour.
Posted on 12/25/2012 at 2:37 AM by Sean
@Sean: Glad to hear it!
Posted on 1/1/2013 at 3:18 PM by Progressive
So glad I had Progressive roadside today. Dead battery. Quick service and I was back on the road. This was a great service.
Posted on 1/1/2013 at 8:54 PM by George
I just used roadside assistance yesterday to have my vehicle towed from my home to the car shop. The tow truck was at my house within a half hour of me calling Progressive requesting assistance. Also used it a couple of years ago for the same issue and again they were there that time within an hour. I think when you're only paying about $15.00 a year for the service it is exceptional! So helpful. And you can use it as many times as you need, no limit on the number of tows, battery jumps, etc like some other companies. Awesome service, thank you Progressive! :)
Posted on 1/3/2013 at 4:58 PM by Breanna
@Breanna: You're welcome! Thanks for choosing us!
Posted on 1/7/2013 at 1:13 PM by Progressive
Does progressive roadside assistance apply when driving a borrowed or rental vehicle or is it only for the vehicle insured by progressive?
Posted on 1/20/2013 at 11:48 AM by Orton Preikschat
I was just wondering... what is the maximum number of times I can use roadside assistance in a year? I know there's a ceiling because the other RA's have that restriction.
Posted on 1/24/2013 at 3:28 AM by Anne B
@Orton: No, our Roadside Assistance coverage is vehicle-specific, so it doesn't transfer.
Posted on 1/24/2013 at 11:16 AM by Progressive
@Anne: There isn't a specific amount per year; however, you can't use the service more than once for the same disablement. For example, if your vehicle won't start, and you have it towed to your home, you won't be able to have it towed somewhere else the next day.
Posted on 1/31/2013 at 9:56 AM by Progressive
My car is not starting. It is located in my house garage. I have roadside assistance. Will Progressive tow it for free even if it is in my house?
Posted on 4/2/2013 at 9:53 AM by Maddie
Towing sucks 15 mile dos not cut it if you diving back east when you are 50 mile away from the nearest shop are 800 mile from home. I had framer insurance before progressive and framer towed me home and it was 65 mile for free.
Posted on 4/5/2013 at 4:36 PM by dennis greenoe