How Does a DUI Affect Your Insurance Rate?

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 3/10/2008 at 1:00 PM

If you're caught driving under the influence, it's likely that your insurance premium will be affected.

We understand that receiving a DUI* can be a difficult experience. As you can imagine, having a DUI on your driving record means you'll be paying for it long after your court or legal interactions have ended. In fact, a DUI often directly impacts what you pay for auto insurance. Here's why.

Driving Records Show DUIs

Your driving record shows if you have a DUI conviction. If you want to purchase an auto policy with a company, it generally requests and reviews a copy of your driving record, during which the DUI will be noted. If you're renewing your auto policy, your driving record also may be reviewed to properly set your insurance rate.

You May Be Considered a Higher Risk Driver

A DUI affects what insurance companies charge you for insurance because they may consider you a higher risk driver. Often, points are added to your driving history because of a DUI. When insurance companies assess this history, they may charge you more if you have more points than the average driver.

Some insurance companies may not even insure you if you have a DUI on your record. Progressive will insure you regardless of whether or not you have a DUI, though we do charge you appropriately for one.

SR-22 Filings May Be Required

Most of the time, you'll also have to file an SR-22 if you're convicted of a DUI. An SR-22 is a statement of financial responsibility that serves as proof that you have the proper amount of insurance that your state has required you to have. Your insurance company may file the SR-22 for you (generally, Progressive does), but be sure to check with your company for their standard procedure.

Depending on your situation, you may have to file an SR-22 for several years. The amount of time an SR-22 remains active is based on your state and the incidental factors surrounding your DUI. Having an SR-22 often puts you in the higher risk category with auto insurance companies, which means your rates could increase and remain higher several years after you receive a DUI.

Though a DUI doesn't inherently cause your insurance rates to increase, it most likely will. If you get a DUI, it's not the end of the world. However, expect to pay for it for at least a few years — especially if it concerns your auto insurance.

*Depending on your state or jurisdiction, the offense may be called a DUI, DWI, OWI or other acronym. For this article, references to DUI encompass all offenses that apply to driving or operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Comments

If i allowed a friend to use my car and it was totaled, would i still be covered if i have full coverage except for loan/lease payoff? And if my friend was arrested for a dui would i still be coverd
Posted on 3/7/2010 at 12:17 AM by Tarren
@Tarren, I'm sorry about your accident. To give you definite answers to your questions, we'd need to know a few more details about the accident. In general, though, damages that occur while a friend is driving your insured car would be covered, but it depends on different factors. Please call our Claims team at 1-800-274-4641 to report this claim, so a rep can discuss the situation with you, let you know what coverages are available and would apply, and what your options are if the car is a total loss.
Posted on 3/8/2010 at 2:56 PM by Brittany R.
I was wondering, in general how much higher are a high risk driver's insurance premiums compared to more of a low risk driver.
Posted on 4/28/2010 at 8:42 PM by Vaugn M.
@Vaugn M, Your driving history is just one of many factors Progressive uses to calculate your rate, so different drivers (even if they have similar driving records) will have different rates. The best thing to do if you’re curious about your rate is to get a quote. There’s no obligation to buy when you quote, and you'll find out your personalized rate, not an estimate.
Posted on 4/30/2010 at 7:20 PM by Brittany R.
What if I am the primary insured and my spouse who is on my policy receives a DUI and license suspension. Can I simply remove her from the policy and/or exclude her from coverage since she can't drive during the 2-year license suspension?
Posted on 7/27/2010 at 12:30 AM by Jose
@Jose, please call us at 1-800-776-4737 to find out if you can remove your spouse from your policy, since options vary by state.
Posted on 7/27/2010 at 4:01 PM by Brittany R.
I'm in MS, and have been charged with DUI (drugs). If I plead "No Contest" in a lower court, appeal to a higher court and get a judgment of NOT GUILTY (or the case is dismissed), will this affect my rate?
Posted on 8/13/2010 at 1:20 PM by Matt
@Matt, If this DUI is removed from your driving record by the time you renew your policy with us, then the violation won't impact your rate. Give us a call at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE if you have questions about your specific driving history.
Posted on 8/18/2010 at 2:23 PM by Brittany R.
How long does it take for rates to go down after a DUI? Does that make a spouses rate more expensive as well if on the same policy or does it just add to the rate?
Posted on 10/4/2010 at 4:02 PM by Christine
@Christine, Typically, it would take about three years. However, you could list your spouse as an excluded driver on your policy—which means he isn’t covered if he drives—and then his violation won’t impact your rate. (This option, however, isn’t available in every state.)
Posted on 10/7/2010 at 4:27 PM by Brittany R.
I was convicted of DWI three years ago. I live in NY (Brooklyn). What would approximately be the annual rate to insure a motorcycle (ex: Suzuki 650 DR)?
Posted on 10/27/2010 at 11:19 AM by Gerald
@Gerald, Please start a quote, and we'll price a motorcycle policy for you. It only takes about 6 minutes.
Posted on 10/28/2010 at 3:13 PM by Brittany R.
Hi: If my boyfriend got a DUI in 1993, would it still affect our auto insurance?
Posted on 11/9/2010 at 8:35 PM by Julie
@Julie, No, it won’t. We only review the last three years of your driving history.
Posted on 11/12/2010 at 8:00 AM by Brittany R.
Will progressive insure CDL truck driver with 1 DUI?
Posted on 12/1/2010 at 9:42 PM by Todd
@Todd, Please start a quote--we'll price a policy for you. If you're looking for personal auto insurance, you can start a quote on this page (just scroll up). If you need commercial auto insurance, visit progressivecommercial.com to get your quote.
Posted on 12/6/2010 at 12:58 PM by Brittany R.
Do boaters insurance premiums go up after a DUI (obtained in a vehicle not in a boat)?
Posted on 12/16/2010 at 12:38 PM by Marissa Rennaker
<p>@Marissa, Unfortunately, yes&mdash;they could go up, since we consider your driving history when we determine your boat insurance rate.</p>
Posted on 12/21/2010 at 11:25 AM by Brittany R.
i had a dui in october of 2006. can you tell how long this will be dropped so my premiums will be go down or be reduced. thank you frederick w. graves.
Posted on 12/21/2010 at 11:41 AM by frederick w. graves
Say if you get a DUI how much will your insurance go up if your paying 600 a month now between car payment and car insurance.
Posted on 12/23/2010 at 1:27 PM by mikey
@Frederick, Generally, we consider only the past three years of your driving history, so your DUI should not affect your current rate. Please call us to review your policy: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:07 AM by Brittany R.
@Mikey, We'll need more information from you in order to quote you a rate. Please start a quote--it's free and takes about six minutes. Or, if you're already a customer, give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 10:08 AM by Brittany R.
In the state of VA, I was convicted of a DUI but ended pleaing down to wreckless driving. Will I still need an SR-22?
Posted on 1/6/2011 at 3:57 PM by Mike S
I was charged with a DUI in Dec 2008. I was convicted Jan 2011. Does this mean 2 years of driving history has already passed, or will my insurance increase from Jan 2011 though Jan 2014?
Posted on 1/15/2011 at 7:21 AM by Marin
@Marin, The period of time during which an accident or violation is chargeable varies by state. Some states use the date of the incident. Others use the actual conviction date.
Posted on 1/20/2011 at 2:09 PM by Progressive
I received a DUI in Feb.2008,I read somewhere that 35 months after that incident I could call and negotiate a lower premium,is this true or would I need to wait til Feb.2011?
Posted on 1/31/2011 at 2:36 PM by tiffany
@Tiffany, You probably want to wait until February 2011 to call for a policy review. Generally at Progressive, we review the last three years of your driving history.
Posted on 2/4/2011 at 3:53 PM by Progressive
I was arrested for a DUI in Connecticut and am participating in a pretrial alcohol education program which will lead to the dismissal of my charges within the year. Once my DUI is dismissed and my records are erased, will I still have to pay the higher car insurance rates I am currently being quoted?
Posted on 2/7/2011 at 10:15 PM by Melissa
I was arrested for DUI all the way back in Oct 2007, but because of various appeals and court delays, my conviction will be dated in Mar 2011, next month. I have been a Progressive customer since 2009. Will Progressive use the date of offense or date of conviction in order to determine my rate when I renew?
Posted on 2/14/2011 at 1:20 PM by Phil
@Melissa, Please give us a call (1-800-776-4737) after the DUI is removed from your driving record, and we’ll adjust your rate accordingly.
Posted on 2/15/2011 at 8:52 AM by Progressive
@Phil, It depends where you live. Some states require insurance companies to use the conviction date when determining rates. Please give us a call, so we can give you specifics for your state.
Posted on 2/18/2011 at 1:38 PM by Progressive
I live in Texas. In Texas do you look at Incident Date or Conviction Date. My DWI incident was in 2007 but the conviction was only in 2011. Please advise. Thanks for all your help.
Posted on 2/24/2011 at 6:15 PM by Ron
@Ron, In Texas, we use the incident date.
Posted on 3/7/2011 at 12:36 PM by Progressive
If i receive a dui in dec 2007 and then another one in feb 2008, when will my rate go down. In Nj do you go by the incident date or the conviction date?
Posted on 3/29/2011 at 9:06 PM by latoya
@Latoya, It takes about three years for your record to clear. In New Jersey, we use the conviction date for any violations within the past 36 months.
Posted on 4/8/2011 at 12:31 PM by Progressive
My son was involved in a DWI while driving his girlfriend's car. She is now being denied coverage because of his DWI. It is very unfortunate that she has to be penalized for his stupidity. Please advise.
Posted on 4/12/2011 at 5:57 PM by Maria Vazquez
I live in Montana and got a DUI back in February of 06 and I am a progressive customer. I am still paying the same amount ever since it happened. I was wondering how long I will have to pay this much for my insurance?
Posted on 4/14/2011 at 5:26 AM by Tyler
I had a friend on my policy and she got a dui with accident and bodily injury in SC. How will this affect me since the policy is in my name?
Posted on 4/14/2011 at 1:23 PM by paula
@Maria, We need more information to answer your question. Please give us a call at your convenience: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 4/22/2011 at 1:42 PM by Progressive
@Tyler, Generally, your record clears three years after a violation. But, in some states, we’re required to use the conviction date, which is different from the incident date. Please give us a call, so we can do a quick, free policy review for you: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 4/22/2011 at 1:43 PM by Progressive
@Paula, We need more information to answer your question. Please give us a call at your convenience: 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 4/22/2011 at 1:44 PM by Progressive
My mom is the primary insured and I'm on her policy. I have to file for SR-22 for my DUI. Would Progressive file SR-22 for me if I'm not the primary insured? Would my DUI affect my mom's record?
Posted on 5/10/2011 at 11:41 AM by Tommy
if you have the sr-22 can you not make monthly payments or do you always have to pay total cost up front?
Posted on 5/16/2011 at 12:15 PM by lisa
@Tommy, Yes, we can file an SR-22 for you. It doesn't have to be the primary named insured. Also, your DUI will only impact your driving record and premium, not your mom’s.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 3:07 PM by Progressive
@Lisa, Generally, filing an SR-22 doesn’t affect your bill pay options. Please log in to your policy or call us at 1-800-776-4737 to review your options.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 3:08 PM by Progressive
I was just pulled over for my first DWI. My license will be suspended for 30days sometime in the next few months. I have to file a SR-22 to get it reinstated. I'm currently with Allstate, but they are high and i want to shop around for new insurance for both my car and home. If i switch insurances now and go with Progrssive, how do I know if they will do the SR22 when i need it and is there any way to know how much it will increase when this happens?
Posted on 5/24/2011 at 12:34 PM by Natalie
I was wondering if the 3-year window in North Carolina i based on the date of incident or date of conviction? Thanks.
Posted on 5/27/2011 at 6:11 AM by Pete
@Pete, For DUIs and other violations, we use the conviction date.
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 4:05 PM by Progressive
@Natalie, We can take care of filing an SR-22 for you. You can get a free auto quote on our site to find out how much it would cost for a Progressive policy and for your SR-22 filing.
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 4:06 PM by Progressive
In NY, Do you use the incident or conviction date for DWI
Posted on 5/31/2011 at 8:52 PM by Rick
In Michigan, a DUI offense stays on the driver's record for life. Does this mean that a driver convicted of a DUI, if this driver is a Progressive client, will have to pay the higher premiums for life or will they have the opportunity for a lower fee after the 3 year period?
Posted on 6/2/2011 at 1:23 PM by Kati
I live in MI and my license is currently suspended due to a DUI (offense 2007/conviction 2008). I should get it back in a week and am trying to find out what i'll be able to afford. Can i still get a quote if my current license status is suspended?
Posted on 6/4/2011 at 8:27 PM by stacy
My brother-inlaw (not on the policy) borrowed his fathers car but doesnt plan on telling his father he was caught drinking and driving. Will this affect my father-inlaw's insurance with you and will you notify him why his insuance is changing?
Posted on 6/6/2011 at 10:38 AM by Carrie
In Kentucky do you go by the incident or conviction date?
Posted on 6/12/2011 at 6:48 PM by Amy
@Carrie, Since your brother-in-law isn't on his father's policy, his DUI violation shouldn't affect his father's rate. However, it's important for your brother-in-law to understand that if he drives the car without his father's permission, he won't be covered by his father's insurance if he has an accident.
Posted on 6/13/2011 at 9:44 AM by Progressive
@Stacy, Yes, we can still quote a car insurance policy for you. You can start a quote online--it takes about six minutes--at the top right of this page.
Posted on 6/13/2011 at 9:45 AM by Progressive
@Kati, We consider violations (using the occurrence date) within the last 35 months when determining your rate.
Posted on 6/13/2011 at 9:48 AM by Progressive
@Rick, In NY, we use the conviction date. However, we also consider details like the inception month and the year the policy incepted. Please call us for more details: 1-800-776-4737
Posted on 6/13/2011 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
In AZ do you use conviction or occurrence date for a DUI. I got stopped 1-25-09 plead guitly 11-05-09 would like to know when I would be considered for better rates.
Posted on 6/17/2011 at 3:48 PM by Kevin
<p>@Amy, We use the occurrence date for accidents and violations in KY.</p>
Posted on 6/28/2011 at 4:10 PM by Progressive
@Kevin, We use the occurrence date in AZ.
Posted on 6/28/2011 at 4:13 PM by Progressive
I live in Mississippi and have a MS drivers license, which is on my Progressive account. Before I moved here, I got a DUI in Tennessee. It occurred in Sept 2007 but was convicted in May 2009. How long will this affect my rates? Will my rates remain higher for the entire time SR-22 is filed?
Posted on 7/5/2011 at 1:06 AM by Betsy
<p>@Betsy, The DUI will be listed on your policy for 35 months, starting on the occurrence date. Once 35 months have passed, we'll remove the violation at your next renewal.</p>
Posted on 7/13/2011 at 4:27 PM by Progressive
My daughter's DWI in CT has been erased from our auto insurance (Progressive). My umbrella insurance was cancelled due to her DWI. It has been over 3 years now; can I get umbrella insurance now?
Posted on 7/26/2011 at 6:46 PM by Ann Marie Curran
<p>@Ann Marie, Please call us at 1-877-777-1783. We need a little more information from you to answer your question.</p>
Posted on 8/11/2011 at 9:08 AM by Progressive
I got my DUI in California in which I pleaded No Contest and it was reduced to a Wet Wreckless. Does it make a difference if it was reduced to a Wet Wreckless? AAA just dropped me from my insurance...
Posted on 8/12/2011 at 1:28 PM by CRISTINA
@Cristina, Neither a DUI or Reckless Driving violation would prevent you from insuring your car with us. We can quote an auto policy for you online, and if you choose to buy it, the Reckless Driving violation would stay on your policy for 36 months after the occurrence date. At that point, we’ll remove it.
Posted on 8/19/2011 at 7:24 AM by Progressive
<p>I am a 41 year old female and I received a DWI in Arkansas in Mar 2010. I went to court in August 2010 and was convicted. My insurance rates have not went up but I'm thinking about trading vehicles and I'm not happy with my presnt carrier. If I get a quote for insurance on a new vehicle or just transfer my insurance, is this automatically going to make my insurance go up even if I decide not to trade and insure it? How much of an increase would it be?</p>
Posted on 8/28/2011 at 5:46 PM by Justina
for determining rates do you use conviction date or violation date in Minnesota?
Posted on 8/29/2011 at 3:22 PM by steve
I was arrested for dui and had a pretrial license suspension. The charges were later dismissed. Will this effect my insurance rates?
Posted on 8/30/2011 at 7:55 PM by Kevin
@Kevin, To be sure, you should confirm what is listed on your Motor Vehicle report . . were the suspension and DUI removed completely by the state or replaced with a lessor vilotaion (i.e - reckless driving)? You can then call, to confirm what information we have listed on your policy (that is if you're insured with us). The number is 800-776-4737. I hope this response helps.
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 9:23 AM by Progressive
@Steve, In Minnesota, we use the violation date (we refer to it as the occurance date).
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 9:37 AM by Progressive
@Justina, If you change insurers, they are most likely going to get an up to date MVR, which will show the DWI. It will impact your rate - but because rates are not soley based on violations, the result may or may not be more that what you pay today.
Posted on 9/12/2011 at 11:29 AM by Progressive
In Michigan, is occurrence date or conviction date used?
Posted on 9/15/2011 at 9:56 AM by John
If I have full coverage on both my vehicles , and get into a single party accident in one of them ( went off the road into some rocks) and total my vehicle, and was arrested for a DUI, in Hawaii , and there is a lien ( bank loan) , and the collision repair shop gives me a really high repair estimate( more than KBB value), would Progressive pay to fix , or replace the vehicle, and would they drop me from coverage due to the DUI and repair costs ??
Posted on 9/21/2011 at 2:02 PM by royandaoy
I had my DUI in Sept 2008. I was charged with a wet and reckless (0.05 breath test) When will my insurance rate drop and I no longer need an sr-22?
Posted on 9/22/2011 at 2:55 PM by van
I have received a second dui in arizona will i lose my insurance?
Posted on 9/26/2011 at 1:09 PM by Kristen
I am an Ohio resident and have been a Progressive policy holder since 2000. I received a DWI in Indiana in September of 2008. I was not convicted until February of 2009. Which date will the DWI drop off.
Posted on 9/29/2011 at 5:08 PM by James
@Kristen - No, you will not lose her insurance as a result of the DUI. As long as the state allows you to keep your license, we can continue to insure you.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:06 AM by Progressive
@Van - It would be best if you call 800-776-4737. The experience period or length of time we charge for a ticket/accident varies by state. The earliest would by 35 months from the date of the incident. It is also important to note that some states require that we used the occurrence date (date you got the ticket) and others require that we use the conviction date (the date you were officially charged). Again, give us a call.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:15 AM by Progressive
@royandroy - We will not cancel solely due to the DUI. As long has the state allows you to keep your license we can insure you. However, the DUI as well as the accident will impact your rate. As far as the accident. First, you need to call (800-925-2886) or go online (http://www.progressive.com/claims/) and file a claim. We will assign an Adjustor who will assess the damage to the vehicle and work with Progressive approved repairs facilities to determine if is or is not repairable. The Adjustor will also review the policy to make sure that the appropriate coverage is in place. Insurance companies determine whether or not to repair vehicle in the event of a claim based on the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the vehicle. KBB value is a good place to start but does not encompass all the tools insurance companies use to determine the ACV. If the cost of repair is more than the ACV, then the vehicle will be declared a total loss. For total losses, insurance companies payout the ACV to the insured or lienholder. If the insure owes more on their loan than the value of the vehicle, then they must pay the difference unless they have purchased Gap coverage. Gap coverage or Loan/Lease Payoff will pay all or a portion of the remaining amount owes to the Lienholder. This type of coverage is typically purchased through the Lienholder but is also often offer by the auto insurer (we offer Loan/lease payoff, which pay a % of the gap).
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:23 AM by Progressive
@James, Ohio uses the occurrence date for violations, so your DWI will drop off 3 years after the date of occurrence.
Posted on 10/19/2011 at 8:25 AM by Progressive
If my husband was on my insurance and rec'd a dwi in 2009 on another insurance policy and i get another policy with you in my name, without my husband, will rates effect me even though it wasn't me that have the dwi?
Posted on 10/20/2011 at 5:38 PM by DEBBIE
What about Arkansas, occurence or conviction date?
Posted on 10/27/2011 at 6:54 PM by robey
In Georgia do you use the occurance date or the conviction date when checking drivin records
Posted on 10/31/2011 at 3:17 PM by jai
My new wife has a pending DUI (not yet gone to trial) she is in a pre-trial program that upon completion will have her charges reduced to a reckless driving. We are in Florida. I have a couple of questions. Is it possible for me to have a policy with 2 vehicles but exclude her from one of the vehicles so that the rates only reflect the DUI on the vehicle she drives, I have a manual transmission that she can not even drive? Is there a significant difference in rates between a DUI and a wet reckless driving? Is Florida a state where you consider the date of the offense or date of conviction?
Posted on 11/7/2011 at 3:05 PM by Brian
What are the rules in florida? DOes it go by the date of the incident or the date of the conviction? Also, is there a big difference in terms of insurance if the charge is reduced to a reckless driving as opposed to a DUI? In Florida, is it possible for me to exclude my spouse from one vehicle on the policy that she never drives so that her driving record only affects the premium on the vehicle she drives?
Posted on 11/17/2011 at 4:41 PM by Brian
I recently, unfortunately, got a DUI. My auto policy (another agency) is set to renew in August 2012. I understand it takes 3 years for my rates to go back to normal. If I choose not to drive for the three years since my conviction date and apply for insurance in 3 years, will I need to start the 3 years of "increased fees" at that point, or can I just apply for a normal, non SR-22 policy then?
Posted on 11/19/2011 at 1:25 AM by hecc
I am charged with 3rd Degree DUI in MN (blew over .16) and am considering Ignition Interlock. I have a form I must send to Progressive to be signed. Will my rates increase immediately or upon renewal? I have not yet been convicted, as we are just beginning the process of court proceedings, so do you immediately raise the rates eventhough the court case is not complete? Thanks!
Posted on 12/2/2011 at 8:15 PM by Donna
Do you use the arrest date or conviction date for DUI's located in Tampa, Florida? Thanks!
Posted on 12/13/2011 at 1:34 PM by John
@Brian: Please call us at 1-800-776-4737, so we can better understand your situation and resolve your questions.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:36 AM by Progressive
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:36 AM by Progressive
@Hecc: Please call us at 1-800-776-4737, so we can better understand your situation and resolve your questions.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:38 AM by Progressive
<p>@Robey: We use the occurrence date for accidents and violations in Arkansas.</p>
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:09 PM by Progressive
<p>@Jai: We use the occurrence date for accidents and violations in Georgia.</p>
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:14 PM by Progressive
@Debbie: If you're married, your spouse would need to be listed on your policy. However, if he doesn't use your vehicle, you may be able to list him on your policy where he's not covered, and it doesn't affect your rate. For more information, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:51 PM by Progressive
@Donna: In Minnesota, we do use the occurrence date for violations. We don't add violations to your policy midterm. We will review the driving history at renewal and make any necessary changes.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 9:55 AM by Progressive
@John: We use the occurrence date for Florida DUI's.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 10:09 AM by Progressive
My wife was arrested for DUI in California in July. The court has not filed any charges, but the officer took the license and sent it into the DMV. She's not had a license and not driven since the incident. We visited DMV and they said on 1/5/12 she's eligible to get her license back, but needs an SR-22 on file and pay a reinstatement fee. We are current Progressive customers. Will you file the SR-22 even though there is no conviction?
Posted on 12/25/2011 at 12:59 PM by Matthew
In the state of Indiana is it 3 years from the arrest date or the date of conviction that insurance rates will come down?
Posted on 12/29/2011 at 10:29 AM by John
<p>@Matthew: We would be happy to update your policy and add an SR22 for your wife. You can do so online by logging into your policy at http://bit.ly/pgrSave or by calling us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 1/3/2012 at 5:17 PM by Progressive
How long do DUI stay on someones driving record? Do they ever drop off after a while?
Posted on 1/4/2012 at 2:29 AM by Michael
@John: We use accidents and violations from the past 35 months. We base these on the occurrence date, not the conviction date.
Posted on 1/4/2012 at 3:49 PM by Progressive
Hi, In California do you go by the incident or conviction date? Thanks!
Posted on 1/4/2012 at 11:56 PM by Elizabeth
Just curious as we have a new teen driver in the house, if our minor son is on our policy and has an accident while DWI, will Progressive insurance deny the claim for the accident?
Posted on 1/5/2012 at 5:33 PM by Birdie
Do you use the arrest date or conviction date for DUI's located in California? Thanks!
Posted on 1/5/2012 at 11:07 PM by Elizabeth
@Elizabeth: In California, we use the occurrence date, not the conviction date.
Posted on 1/9/2012 at 10:31 AM by Progressive
<p>@Michael: Generally, DUIs do drop off the driving record after a period of time.&nbsp;The rules vary by state and range from 36 to 60 months.&nbsp;Give us a call anytime at 1-800-888-7764, and we can review how it works in your state.&nbsp;</p>
Posted on 1/9/2012 at 4:26 PM by Progressive
@Birdie: If a driver is listed on your policy as covered/rated, they would be covered in the event of a claim. If you have additional questions, please call us anytime at 1-800-4476-4737.
Posted on 1/10/2012 at 7:57 AM by Progressive
I recently got a reckless driving charge in GA and was wondering if my insurance was going to go up with just liability and if it does how much of an increase can I expect.
Posted on 1/17/2012 at 9:19 PM by Ryan A
my sons friend was driving them home in my car and swearved to miss a deer ad totaled the car. no damage to other property. someone called the police and when we went back to the car the police sited my sons friend with dui. will my insurance cover it. my sons friend has no insurance. will my insurance drop me.
Posted on 1/20/2012 at 2:46 PM by lisa
@Lisa: As a general rule, insurance follows the vehicle, and most insurance companies don’t cancel for a single violation. However, every insurance company treats claims differently and may have additional rules in place regarding DUIs and non-listed drivers. For specific answers, you’ll need to contact your insurer so that they can assign a claims adjustor to work with you.
Posted on 1/23/2012 at 11:57 AM by Progressive
Here's a weird one: I received a DUI in Nevada in June of 2002 and was convicted in July 2002 (completed DUI school, etc) California DMV suspended my license in April/May of 2009 when they checked the national system while renewing my CA license. (yes, 7 years later) Went to buy a car last Saturday and insurance rates doubled due to my license suspension in 2009, even though the DUI/conviction was in 2002. Is this something I need to take up with the DMV or will Progressive make any exception?
Posted on 1/23/2012 at 1:39 PM by Kristal
I was driving my bosses car and i got arrested for DWI. No accidents, im not on there insurance policy will they insurance go up?
Posted on 1/26/2012 at 7:37 PM by Kat
i got an under age drinking charge 3yrs ago and a dui in october,i went an got insurance a couple of weeks ago and im paying for two dui's because of the under age drinking,how is that if i wasn't even driving..is that even legal???
Posted on 1/29/2012 at 4:21 PM by david
I plead guilty to a OWI first offense in Wisconsin, roughly two years ago...thus, far my car insurance rates have not shown changed. How long does it take for an OWI to affect car insurance?
Posted on 1/29/2012 at 8:52 PM by Brian
DUI in CT. With education program the case is dismissed or "sealed". Do you go by arrest date or conviction date in CT and what is the time period it takes to drop off?
Posted on 1/30/2012 at 9:55 AM by Kevin
@Kristal: This is something you'd definitely need to bring up with the state. Because the suspension happened in the last three years, it would still show on your motor vehicle report, which means it would impact your rate. Once three years have passed, you can call and request that this be updated. However, you can also try contacting the DMV now to see if the violation can be removed and motor vehicle report updated sooner.
Posted on 1/30/2012 at 10:46 AM by Progressive
@Kat: Your violation will follow you. It will be listed under your driving reports, and not on your boss' policy.
Posted on 1/31/2012 at 10:09 AM by Progressive
<p>@David: If there's a violation listed under your record, it can be chargeable under your insurance. It's possible the violation is listed incorrectly on your Motor Vehicle Report (MVR). You can request a copy of your MVR by contacting your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If corrected, we can update your policy.</p>
Posted on 1/31/2012 at 10:14 AM by Progressive
@Brian: Generally, an accident or violation will impact your premium at the first renewal after the incident. However, if your driving reports aren't reviewed at that time, it will take longer.
Posted on 1/31/2012 at 10:19 AM by Progressive
@Kevin: Along with a variety of other information, we review your accidents and violations from the last 35 months to calculate your premium based on the occurrence date.
Posted on 1/31/2012 at 10:27 AM by Progressive
Hello I was recently involved in an accident, where I pulled over and got a DUI for. The car that hit me drove off. I found out that the damage is around $3k.. My question is, since this happened around a week and half ago, and I just had the repair shop (familiy friend) give the estimates, will the rates increase more with the accident claim? Or should I pay myself...
Posted on 2/6/2012 at 10:27 PM by Eliot
@Eliot: You can still report the claim. Depending on how the accident is listed on your policy, it may be cheaper to go through your insurance instead of paying out of pocket. Contact your insurance provider to go over your options.
Posted on 2/8/2012 at 6:28 AM by Progressive
My son was involved in a car accident and totaled his vehicle. He received a citation for failure to yield and DUI. There were minor injuries to several people in the accident. He has full coverage with Progressive on his vehicle. Can Progressive deny liability due to the DUI?
Posted on 2/17/2012 at 10:44 AM by Debbie
in kentucky, an sr-22 is not required.. if i move to a state that requires one, does that mater, or do you only have to get an sr-22 in the state of conviction(DUI). and in kentucky does it go by your conviction or violation date?
Posted on 2/18/2012 at 7:57 AM by andrew
Hello: I recieved a point suspension on March 30 through April 28 in 2011 due to a conviction in Arkansas for driving while intoxicated, which occured on July 20, 2010, wiht a conviction date of January 7, 2011. I had recieved two tickets in 2008, which, although more than 36 months old, are required to remain listed on my Missouri Driver Record because they ''support'' the existing suspension action. I currently have an SR-22 on file with the Driver License Bureau which will expire on March 30, 2013. Once three years have passed from the DWI occurence will I be eligible for more favorable rates?
Posted on 2/18/2012 at 11:29 AM by Mike S.
I was stopped for a DUI in NC in April of 2010, but was just recently convicted in Feb. 2012. What date is used for in regards to insurance premiums? Is it the date of the occurence or the conviction date?
Posted on 2/19/2012 at 3:27 AM by Denise
I have two d.U.I.s one in 2008 and one in 2010 i live in massachusetts and im having trouble getting insurance will you guys insure me?
Posted on 2/20/2012 at 1:39 AM by Peter
Im in NC and currently with state farm. My husband got a DUI a few weeks ago and state farm said once he is convicted they can no longer give either of us comp or collision. I need full coverage since my car is financed and in NC you have to list your spouse as a driver. Can Progressive help us?? Also how do I go about getting an accurate quote before his conviction?
Posted on 2/20/2012 at 6:31 PM by Katie
@Debbie: We're sorry to hear that. Ultimately the payout is determined by the claims adjuster. For more information, please contact your adjuster by calling 1-800-274-4499.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 9:45 AM by Progressive
@Mike: We evaluate your policy at each renewal. Once the DWI violation is 3 years old, it will come off your policy at the next renewal, and we'll adjust your rate accordingly. Generally, drivers with fewer violations receive better rates than those with more violations.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 9:49 AM by Progressive
@Denise: For North Carolina policies, we use the conviction date to list your violations.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 10:36 AM by Progressive
@Peter: We'd be glad to quote a policy for you. To have us do so, please visit bit.ly/pgrSave.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 10:45 AM by Progressive
@Katie: Thanks for considering us. We'd be happy to quote a policy for you and your husband. Please go to bit.ly/pgrSave or call 1-800-776-4737. Your policy can be effective immediately. Please have your current policy information and driver/vehicle details handy.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 10:49 AM by Progressive
@Andrew: Since SR-22 requirements vary, please contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your new state to find out if you’ll need one. If you do need an SR-22, we can help you file it. Also, in Kentucky, we review violations based on the occurrence date, and consider violations within the past 35 months when we determine your premium.
Posted on 2/23/2012 at 2:24 PM by Progressive
My NJ civil union partner has 3 DUIs in NJ. My driving record is spotless. New Jersey Manufacturers is threatening to cancel my policy. Can they do It? I want to take him off my policy, they say no can do. I am contacting my lawyer and the DOBI commissioner.
Posted on 2/25/2012 at 8:00 PM by Frank
@Frank: Every company has different rules for addressing DUIs, which they're required to file with and get approved by the state, and these rules sometimes include cancellation. Also consider that your partner's license could be suspended or temporarily revoked, and some insurers choose not to cover drivers with suspended/revoked licenses. We’d be glad to help you with your insurance needs. Call anytime at 1-800-776-4737 or go to progressive.com to quote.
Posted on 2/29/2012 at 4:36 PM by Progressive
I got a DUI in December 2008. The charges were expunged after I took an alcohol class, but my license was suspended from Dec 2008 to May 2009 ( 6 months) because I refused to take a breathalyzer test. In other words, the "conviction" was over 3 years ago, but the suspension was within the 3 year review period. Would this affect my rates if I change insurance carriers?
Posted on 3/4/2012 at 8:58 PM by John
@John: It depends on the state. In some states, DUIs are charged against your insurance from the occurrence date, and in other states, the conviction date is used. However, in states like CA, the DUI can remain on your record for 10 years. For more information, call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 3/6/2012 at 8:38 AM by Progressive
In PA do you use the occurrence date or conviction date. Does completing the ARD program affect your rates? Would you get a break if you insured your home as well?
Posted on 3/26/2012 at 9:55 PM by Hope
@Hope: We use the occurrence date in Pennsylvania, so we would list any violations that occurred within 35 months of your policy start date. At this time we don't offer a discount for taking the ARD program; however, we periodically review our discounts and programs, so this could be something we offer in the future. Also, in most cases we offer a discount for having multiple policies with us. We would be happy to go over this in more detail with you. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737 for more information.
Posted on 3/28/2012 at 9:00 AM by Progressive
We lent our car to our 20 year old son's roommate, who had an accident and was cited for DUI. We have insurance with another carrier and they have advised us they are re-risking our policy. My question is about my son. He is buying a car and applying for insurance with your company - he will no longer be on our policy. Will his roommate's accident on our insurance policy impact my son's rate/risk?
Posted on 3/30/2012 at 2:05 PM by Mary
I have two differnet insurance policies. I have one vehicle that is covered on my moms insurance, and I have another newer vehicle with my own insurance. I got convicted of a DUI, and I was driving the vehicle that I have my own private insurance policy. Will my mom find out about the DUI, since I wasnt driving the vehicle that she pays the insurance on?
Posted on 4/2/2012 at 2:27 PM by chandra graham
I was charged with a DWI in January of 2009 in NY state. The Progressive quote states that it looks back 36 months. Do they mean to the time you were charged or convicted, here in NY?
Posted on 4/2/2012 at 4:16 PM by Michael
@Mary: The roommate's accident should not affect your son's premium. Your insurance company should have recorded the driver's license of the roommate and documented on the claim that the responsible driver was the roommate. Your son should not be listed at all in reference to that claim. If for some reason an error has been made, your son should dispute the information. We'll instruct him on the process to correct the record.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:31 PM by Progressive
@Chandra: Driving history follows the driver, not the vehicle, so when your mother's policy is up for renewal, the DUI will appear on your driving history.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:35 PM by Progressive
@Michael: In the state of New York, we look at violations that occurred within the past 40 months, and we use the conviction date.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:48 PM by Progressive
How will a DUI conviction in GA of a Wisconsin resident effect insurance. Can an non-resident state require SR-22 reporting? Is the insurance company reporting different for an out-of-state DUI?
Posted on 4/20/2012 at 8:45 PM by Doug
In CT do you use the incident or conviction date. I was never convicted but it still appears on my driving record as an incident
Posted on 4/26/2012 at 11:51 AM by Daniel
Hi, I was convicted Oct 2011 of OWVI in MI. My insurance was just renewed in April. I was expecting the rates to go up at that time,but it was unchanged. Does your insurance go up for an OWVI conviction or is it possible my insurance company hasn't reviwed my record yet?
Posted on 4/26/2012 at 7:22 PM by Tiff
I currently live in Florida, I was arrested for a DUI on 8/15/2010. I know that in FLORIDA I will have outrageous rates, I have been quoted about 5,000 per 6 months via Progressive. There is a strong chance I will be moving to Michigan in October of 2012, will my insurance rates still be crazy there? Will I have to carry the FR-44 or SR-22? Also, in Michigan so do you go by the incident or conviction date?
Posted on 4/26/2012 at 10:19 PM by Alison
Could this site include first, second, and third offense and what it does to your car insurance premiums? That info would be useful.
Posted on 4/27/2012 at 12:10 AM by Alex Rider
@Doug: Violations impact your policy the same, regardless of where they occur, and we can add an out-of-state SR-22 to your policy at any time. If GA is requesting an SR-22 and you have a WI policy, this is not a problem. For more information, call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 8:41 AM by Progressive
@Daniel: In CT, we use the occurrence date, and we look back for any violations occurring within the past 35 months.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 11:19 AM by Progressive
@Alison: Rates do tend to be lower outside of Florida, but it all depends on where exactly you're moving. You can quote a policy for your new location in Michigan online or by phone 24/7. In terms of the SR-22/FR-44, the state of Florida determines whether or not that would still be necessary. Normally, you carry the state filing for a certain amount of time, regardless of whether you still reside in that state. Finally, in MI we look back 35 months from the occurrence date for violations, including DUIs.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 4:51 PM by Progressive
@Alex: We cannot give details on second and third offenses, because typically, each state handles them differently (e.g., license revocation, expensive fines, incarceration). And the harshness of the penalties can vary state to state. When there are multiple DUIs, the Progressive points may compound with each additional offense, again, varying with the state.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 4:53 PM by Progressive
@Tiff: The violation will affect your premium in the state of Michigan; it's possible that your driving record hasn't yet been reviewed.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 4:58 PM by Progressive
received 3 DUIS in florida between 1997 and 2002 got my licence back a couple months ago and live in NY state. You say you only go back 40 months? with this apply to a situation like mine. and what about the "Progressive points may compound with each additional offense" willl this be affecting me?
Posted on 5/5/2012 at 7:57 PM by jon b.
Hi, if I am insured with Progessive in California am I required to report my DUI to my broker when I request an SR-22. How much could my policy increase if I have to no points on my record and I pay around 100 for full coverage. My policy doesnt renew for almost a year.
Posted on 5/7/2012 at 4:03 PM by Osis
@Jon: In New York, we do charge for violations within the last 40 months. Since the three DUIs are well out of that time frame, you would not be penalized for those violations. As far as points, these can be compounded for repeat offenses. For instance, if you have a speeding ticket and are being charged 2 Progressive points, the second speeding ticket could be assessed at 4 points. The same would apply to more than one DUI; however the points would be higher.
Posted on 5/7/2012 at 4:16 PM by Progressive
@Osis: We don't add violations to your Progressive policy midterm. However, if the violation appears on your driving reports at renewal, we'll add and apply it to your next term. When you call to add the SR-22, we can complete a quote to see how the violation would affect your rate.
Posted on 5/8/2012 at 9:18 AM by Progressive
I'm a Progressive customer in MI. I was arrested for DUI in March 2012. I'm still waiting for a court date (called today and my name isn't even in the court system yet!). It's my 1st and my lawyer thinks it can be pleaded down. My question is: At what point do I notify you? I want to do the right thing, but I don't know what to report as I haven't been charged/convicted yet. On a separate note: If I get a speeding ticket, do I inform you when it happened or do I wait until my policy is up for renewal?
Posted on 5/14/2012 at 1:33 PM by Jay
@Jay: While we appreciate your honesty and concern for doing the right thing, it is not necessary to notify us if you've received a ticket or violation. We will not add a violation to your policy mid-term. Once the court determines what the violation will be listed as, we'll be able to view the information at renewal time when we run the Motor Vehicle Report. Again, thank you for your honesty and if you have any other questions, please give us a call.
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 9:08 AM by Progressive
In Florida, are you required to carry FR44 if your charges are reduced to Reckless? I was told it COULD be required but not necessarily. If the court said nothing upon closing the case does that mean it is not required?
Posted on 6/14/2012 at 11:13 AM by Brian
What happens if an excluded driver (spouse) used car and got in car accident. Will my claim be denied?
Posted on 6/19/2012 at 4:47 PM by John
@Brian: We recommend contacting the Florida DMV. They can advise you on whether the FR44 filing is necessary. If you do need the filing, please contact us at 1-800-776-4737, and we can adjust your Progressive policy accordingly.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:45 AM by Progressive
I had a DWI in Texas - incident date Aug 2008; conviction date May 2011. My DL was not suspended since I won my Admin Hearing. I maintained coverage with my current carrier. My current car is 6+ years old and I'm looking at new cars. If I provide the car info ( what I want to purchase), can you you guys quote/estimatebased on new car info?? Thanks in advance for your answer.
Posted on 6/25/2012 at 5:00 PM by Rob
What is the effect on car insurance premiums of a first, second, and third offense for a minor who drives under the influence of alcohol?
Posted on 7/3/2012 at 8:28 PM by Grace
@Rob: We would be glad to quote a policy for you. You can start a quote here on our site, or call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 3:50 PM by Progressive
@Grace: How violations and accidents are charged on a policy varies by state. In some states, the insurance points increase for each additional ticket you receive for the same infraction.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 3:56 PM by Progressive
@John: Sorry to hear about your claim. We hope everyone is OK. Generally yes, an excluded driver is not covered to drive any vehicle listed on the policy. However, depending on your state, there are different levels of exclusions. Please contact your claims adjuster to see if anything will be paid.
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 10:40 AM by Progressive
I've installed an ignition interlock in my vehicle to keep a restricted license. I have been cited but not convicted, of DUI. Does this device affect my rates? In CO, is it occurance date or conviction date?
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 10:13 PM by Dave
In PA, do all insurance companies go back the same number of years on the MVR? Is there an industry standard?
Posted on 7/11/2012 at 7:30 PM by Greg
In south carolina, is incident date or violation date used for policy review?
Posted on 7/13/2012 at 1:04 PM by Kari
I have 27 merit points on my record and im 21 i wondering how far back does progressive look into. My rates is too high for me to afford i live in MA. Thank you Alex
Posted on 7/21/2012 at 12:20 AM by alex
@Dave: The interlock device will not affect your rates but the DUI (if convicted) will impact your policy as of your next renewal. In Colorado, we use the occurrence date, and violations remain on your driving history for 35 months from that date.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:36 PM by Progressive
@Kari: In South Carolina, we use the occurrence date when rating accidents and the conviction date when rating violations.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:47 PM by Progressive
@Greg: In Pennsylvania, we consider violations, not-at-fault accidents and comprehensive claims from the past three years, and at-fault accidents from the past five years. Other companies may have different procedures.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:48 PM by Progressive
@Alex: Progressive will look back five years for "at fault" accidents and three years for "not at fault" accidents, claims and violations (tickets). To see what you might save with us, you can quote right here on our site.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:56 PM by Progressive
if i got a dui in 2008, would it effect my insurance now?
Posted on 7/26/2012 at 5:06 PM by m.c
@M.C.: Since Progressive only goes back three years in most states for any type of violation, the DUI from 2008 would not affect your rate.
Posted on 8/1/2012 at 12:59 PM by Progressive
I'm a at risk driver due to lack of driving history as well as other risk factors, I recently got into a accident(fender bender) less than a month having the car, there was no damage to my car nor the other vehicle in the accident, 'm looking for a new insurance policy, (current one is too high) I took the defensive course (ny), would progressive still consider me?.
Posted on 8/3/2012 at 1:05 PM by Ania
@Ania: We'd be glad to see what we could do to help you. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737 for a quote.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 11:02 AM by Progressive
I was just wondering if premiums will be affected the same, or less, for a conviction of "wet reckless" as opposed to DUI (in Florida).
Posted on 8/13/2012 at 7:21 PM by Jackie
I have had a progressive policy for about 5 years. My husband has received a 2nd dwi, which will go to court shortly. I'm in Texas. Can I exclude him as a driver on my policy? He will be required to carry SR22.
Posted on 8/14/2012 at 12:26 PM by Jacque
Hi, I got a dui in California back in 2004 and i was convicted in 2005 but dui still appears in my driving record, shouldn't it be off my record by now?? And will this affect my rate?
Posted on 8/21/2012 at 4:00 AM by omar
@Omar: The amount of time a violation remains on a policy varies by state. In California, a Driving Under the Influence charge will remain on the policy for 10 years.
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 4:24 PM by Progressive
Hello Progressive, I have a DUI in California arrested December 2008. I am currently with Fred Loya they told me that after 3 years my rate is now lower and I have no more points and do not need SR22. Is this correct I thought in California a DUI is 2 points for 10 years or do the actual points come off after 3 years and the DUI only stays on record for 10 years I am confused and want to sign up with Progressive can you please answer this for me. Kind Regards...
Posted on 8/30/2012 at 1:03 AM by Harry
@Harry: In California, DUIs remain on your record for 10 years. However, after 36 months, the violation points associated with the DUI may be removed from the policy. As for the SR-22, you'll want to contact the state to ensure that it is no longer needed.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 9:55 AM by Progressive
Hi, I'm 31 and got a DUI 2 years ago and my current insurance has not found out about it yet. I would like to get a motorcycle. My question is if I get motorcycle insurance with progressive will that trigger my car insurance company find out about my driving history? FYI I have no other marks on my driving record besides that.
Posted on 9/8/2012 at 12:45 AM by Bryan
I was involved in a 7 car pile up and the driver was drunk. My lawyer says because he was charged with DUI, his coverages automatically go down from 100,000 property and 300,000 medical to 10,000 propert and 30,000 medical. That means there are 7 of us fighting for 40,000. My medical alone for 2 days was 37,500.
Posted on 9/10/2012 at 3:01 PM by Josh Tate
@Bryan: If you purchase a motorcycle policy with us, we'll order your driving record. You'll need to check with your current auto insurer to find out how often they order your driving record.
Posted on 9/11/2012 at 11:25 AM by Progressive
What if the DWI / DUI was 3 years ago? Does that still make my insurance rate go up? Is there a good behavior clause - like going to AA meetings and being clean for 3 years? Thank you.
Posted on 10/3/2012 at 1:50 PM by Sarah
@Sarah: In most states, we look at a DUI like we would any other violation, which means that generally, it can impact your rate for up to 36 months. In New York, however, violations can impact your insurance rates for up to 40 months, and in California, a DUI can impact your insurance rates for up to 10 years. Attending AA meetings and staying clean is definitely something to be proud of, but unfortunately won't impact your auto insurance rates.
Posted on 10/8/2012 at 1:56 PM by Progressive
Recently charged with owi in Indiana, got a quote from you. Listed owi on quote, was wondering if quote was correct since owi is yet to be on the bmv record.
Posted on 10/14/2012 at 12:22 PM by doug
When does the dmv usually notify a persons insurance if they got a DUI? And when do the rates increase for the customer? (In Arizona)
Posted on 10/15/2012 at 1:36 PM by china
<p>@Doug: Thanks for considering us. As long as you reported the incident to us when you quoted, your rate should be accurate. To review your quote, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 10/17/2012 at 5:12 PM by Progressive
<p>@China: The DMV doesn't notify your insurance carrier. Generally, your insurance carrier contacts the DMV prior to renewal to request your Motor Vehicle Report. So, if you received a DUI during the policy term, you'll probably be&nbsp;impacted by it at the following renewal.</p>
Posted on 10/18/2012 at 3:34 PM by Progressive
I received a dwai(alcohol) conviction, I have been a progressive customer (NY state) for 3 years with 1 at fault accident. My premium went up slightly bc of the at fault accident but I'm still not sure how much more it will increase because of the new conviction, can you give me an estimate?
Posted on 10/18/2012 at 5:12 PM by Didi
@Didi: To protect your privacy, we cannot respond to policy-specific requests via the blog. If you have questions about how your violation will affect your personal policy, you'll need to call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 10/23/2012 at 3:22 PM by Progressive
Will a moving violation, such as a ticket for Impeding Traffic in Michigan (no points associated with it, just a fine) increase rates of a driver with a clean driving record? What about a speeding ticket with 3 points associated with it?
Posted on 10/24/2012 at 12:33 PM by Rachel
Hi. I was pulled over for a DUI earlier this year. It's still going through the courts, so there is no conviction, but there is the violation on my driving record until that occurs. It may even get dropped - I won't know until the court process takes place. My license is not currently suspended. Do I disclose this upon requesting an auto policy from Progressive? I assume so since violation will come up when you check my record, but wasn't sure. Thank you.
Posted on 10/29/2012 at 2:23 PM by Robert
@Rachel: Insurance points are different than the points charged against your license. Insurance companies don't look at the actual points charged; we look at whether a violation is listed. To prevent a ticket from affecting your rate, you'd need to fight it in court, so it isn't listed under your record at all.
Posted on 10/29/2012 at 5:03 PM by Progressive
I got a D.U.I in Saskatchewan last year. I am doing my courses too get my license back, but i moved to Alberta in the year I was suspended so I will be getting an Alberta license. will i be able a high risk driver in Alberta
Posted on 11/1/2012 at 11:20 PM by Ryan
I'm a first time DUI offender and I'm going to be calling you guys for a quote here in the very near future. I'm having to go to a DUI class and I was given kind of a homework assignment to find out if having a ignition interlock device would help lower my rate. Its mandatory that I have one for a year but my counselor wanted me to get information on if I kept it on for the three years my SR-22 is in affect, would that lower my rates at all. Also, this Q&A has been very informative and I certainly feel more comfortable about picking you to do business with. Thanks.
Posted on 11/4/2012 at 9:13 AM by Matt
@Ryan: Your driving history follows you as a driver and will be considered by your insurer. The location where an occurrence happened won't matter.
Posted on 11/6/2012 at 9:52 AM by Progressive
@Matt: Having an ignition interlock device won't save you money on your Progressive policy, but we offer many other discounts and credits that you may qualify for. You can call us anytime at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE (1-800-776-4737) for a quote.
Posted on 11/6/2012 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
What if someone had gotten two DWI charges within the last two months? Will they still cover that person?
Posted on 11/14/2012 at 6:56 PM by Joe
I requested a quote and your website asks if I've had a dui in the last 10 years yet on this page you're stating you only look back 3 years. Can you explain this discrepancy? I'm in CA and there is more than $1100 for 6 months of coverage between listing the DUI I have from 2005 (7 years ago) and not listing it.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 2:37 PM by Allen
@Joe: Insurance rules and regulations can vary from state to state. We'll look into this for you. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:31 PM by Progressive
My 19 year old daughter received a non-driving underage drinking ticket. Will this effect insurance rates through Progressive as a Minnesota driver?
Posted on 12/10/2012 at 3:46 PM by Jim
I was just convicted of a traffic infraction of duai in new york. Can i get off my parents car insurance without them knowing? (Im 19 yrs old)
Posted on 12/10/2012 at 5:44 PM by miguelv
@Jim: Since she didn't receive the citation while operating a motor vehicle, it wouldn't influence her driving record or consequently, her insurance rate.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 9:45 AM by Progressive
@Miguelv: You can get a quote here on our site and then purchase the policy. You'd then contact your current insurer to let them know that you've written your own policy and ask them to remove you from your parents' policy. Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing them from finding out that you've removed yourself from the policy. Anytime a change is made to the policy, the insurance company is required to send an updated Declarations Page showing the change.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:05 AM by Progressive
I received a DWAI in NY, how much does a DWAI affect your insurance compared to a DWI?
Posted on 12/20/2012 at 11:12 PM by John
Hi I got a dui in Dec of 2009 it has been over three years and it is still on my policy. Shouldn't it be off by now? I called customer service and they told me it's 40 months in new york. I thought it was 36? Please help. As I'm sure this is affecting my rates
Posted on 12/21/2012 at 12:26 AM by Jeff
Our 21-year-old son is still on our Progressive Auto policy. He received his first DUI, had his license suspended for one month and is now on a restricted driving permit for the next two months. He will go to court in February with a guilty plea for a withheld judgement, and he will receive another three month license suspension with a restricted driving permit. Should we advise Progressive of his situation now or wait until his DMV record is checked upon policy renewal? Should we remove him from our insurance altogether, and have him get his own insurance? Also, if he somehow finds himself driving outside his permitted hours and he has an at fault accident, would he still be covered under our Progressive insurance and, if not, would he or we be financially responsible for his actions, seeing has he is on our policy? Help!
Posted on 12/24/2012 at 1:51 AM by Lyn
I received a DUI in California 3 years ago. How long before I am eligible to receive a good driver discount with progressive again? Thank you!
Posted on 12/26/2012 at 10:25 PM by Erik
HI. I had a Dui in December of 08, through a lengthy process my court case was dismissed with out prejudice. This happened in the State Of Hawaii.. Will this affect my quote or require me to still file a Sr-22?
Posted on 12/27/2012 at 4:10 PM by samuel
My daughter was in an accident while insured by progressive. She received a DUI and was just nearly over her legal limit. Can she be denied coverage because of the DUI ?
Posted on 12/31/2012 at 12:33 AM by Scott
@John: We'd be glad to quote how this violation will affect your policy. To do so, please call us at 1-855-266-8485. (FYI, we do not add accidents/violations midterm.)
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:02 AM by Progressive
@Jeff: Along with a variety of other information for the state of New York, we review your violations from the last 40 months to calculate your premium. We'll remove this violation from your driving history after 40 months, and your policy renews. Although some accidents and violations may expire during policy term, in New York, they'll remain on your driving history and affect your premium until the following renewal.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:11 AM by Progressive
@Lyn: Your policy needs to be updated to reflect his current license status. Depending on the state, he may be required to carry a filing (SR22/FR44) in order to have his license reinstated; the state will tell him if he does. Also, we don't add accidents or violations midterm; instead, we run the driving reports at renewal and update the policy. As long as he resides in your household, he'll need to be listed on your policy, but if he'd like a policy of his own, that's always an option. He can quote a policy anytime by calling us at 1-855-266-8485. In the event of a claim, the adjuster will determine the payout based on his license status and restrictions at the time. Call us for more information.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:34 AM by Progressive
@Samuel: The state department of motor vehicles determines whether you'd need to carry an SR22 filing.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:42 AM by Progressive
@Erik: In California, for auto policies purchased directly, your driving record must be clear of DUIs/DWIs (which remain for 10 years) to qualify for our Good Driver Discount. To see any new discounts you might have, log into your policy at progressive.com/login.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:14 PM by Progressive
@Scott: Since this in reference to a claim, your daughter will need to contact her claims adjuster for specific questions regarding payout.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:35 PM by Progressive
Are the fall-off dates for violations under your policy different from the policies of other insurance companies? For example, in New York you drop a DWI violation after 40 months from the conviction date. Is this the same for all insurance companies?..would they drop afer 40 months or do they vary?
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:35 PM by Billy
I recv'd a DUI in FL in April 2012, totaled my vehicle. I'm trying to determine if I should move to a city where I can use public transportation, remain unlicensed w/o a vehicle. If after 3 years I decide to move back to FL, will the DUI and points affect my rates? I know reinstating my license after the 3 years will still req the FR44, but was unsure how my rates would be affected by the DUI. Thanks.
Posted on 1/6/2013 at 8:13 PM by Mark
@Billy: Unfortunately, we can't speak for other insurance companies, because each has its policies. Some may look back further than the 40-month window we use in New York.
Posted on 1/7/2013 at 1:11 PM by Progressive
Posted on 1/11/2013 at 11:51 AM by Schyler
@Schyler: It varies by state between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd occurrences. Please call us at 855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/17/2013 at 9:28 AM by Progressive
I got a DUI in Minnesota in Aug 2011 although wasnt convicted of the offense untill March 2012. Im presently on my parents plan. If im 21 and a college student driving a 2006 vehicle what percent increase should i expect for their insurance? Also if they call the insurance agent will he be able to inform them of my driving offense? Thank you
Posted on 1/22/2013 at 11:15 PM by Ameila
@Amelia: Please contact your agent or call us at 1-855-266-8485 for specific policy information.
Posted on 1/31/2013 at 9:34 AM by Progressive
I am 55 years old and had a spotless driving record. Appx 7 mths ago rec a first time dui in DE and I live in PA. Completed counseling sessions with conclusion of no alcohol dependancy or history of abuse. Bad judgement to drive vehicle. Will I my insurance policy be cancelled?
Posted on 2/3/2013 at 7:28 AM by Elizabeth A
Hello, I currently live in California. I have been a Progressive for almost 10 years now. I was charged with a DUI and later convicted of a reckless driving. If my 36 month mark comes in the middle of my policy term, can I call Progressive to request a policy review or it is best to wait until the next renewal?
Posted on 2/4/2013 at 11:36 PM by Chris
If I received a DWAI in NY in 2011 but have since moved to MS and currentlyhold a valid MS driver's license how will this affect my auto insurance rate? MS has no traffic violation equal to a DWAI so I am not sure whether it will be seen the same as a DUI or not?
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 11:53 AM by Betsy
@Elizabeth: Violations like this wouldn't cause us to cancel your policy; however, a DUI will have some impact on the price of future renewals.
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 12:48 PM by Progressive
@Chris: Violations remain on the policy for 36 months. We don't add or remove violations in the middle of the policy term. It would automatically be removed from the policy at renewal as long as the renewal date is outside of the chargeability date.
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 9:56 AM by Progressive
@Betsy: Whether you received the violation in NY or MS, it will still impact your rate. We'll access your driving record initially in the state where you hold your license; however, our final report will include records from other states. Most, if not all, states consider a DWI or DUI as a chargeable violation (including MS); however, they may be listed differently depending on the state.
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 9:59 AM by Progressive
I got a DUI in my mothers car 2 years ago here in north carolina. I was not named under her plan and her insurance has not gone up. She is thinking about purchasing a car now, would this cause the insurance company to realize the incident and cause her insurance to go up?
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 11:40 AM by Carl
Our daughter received a DUI in KS when she was19, then got a diversion. How long would it be before it would not affect her insurance rates? And is it counted from the time of the incident, or after her court date when her license was suspended and she officially was unable to drive for a year?
Posted on 2/10/2013 at 10:49 PM by Joy
I am going to get a quote, but I want to ask this anyways; I recieved a DUI 2 years ago, I have 2 vehicles insured with Progressive and I want to add a motorcycle, will I be able to? I am expecting an increase, as I did with my other 2 vehicles, will it be astronomical?
Posted on 2/13/2013 at 8:46 PM by Greg T
@Joy: We're assuming your policy is written and active in KS. Based on that assumption, we'd use the "occurrence date." Progressive's chargeable period would be 35 months for a DUI, but again, those 35 months would begin with the actual occurrence date.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 2:54 PM by Progressive
@Carl: The DUI would only affect you and an insurance policy where you're listed as a covered driver. The ticket you received won't affect your mother.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 3:01 PM by Progressive
@Greg T: Absolutely. You can purchase a motorcycle policy at any time either online or over the phone. The DUI will impact your rate, but maybe not as much as you expect. Also in most states, DUIs fall off your driving history after 3 years.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 4:54 PM by Progressive
I received a DUI and refused to do the breathalyzer, the DUI was lowered to reckless driving with adjudication withheld. In Florida since I refused to blow they also suspend your license for 1 year but I have a hardship permit thats allows me to driver for work, doctor, etc. Will you insure me with a suspended license (with the hardship permit)? Do my rates go up for the suspended license?
Posted on 2/16/2013 at 10:40 AM by Ryan
@Ryan: The license suspension itself shouldn't impact your policy, but the reckless driving violation will impact your rates for up to 35 months. Also, based on the situation, it may be necessary for you to carry some sort of state filing (either an SR22 or an FR44). If you require one of these filings, that too can impact the cost of your policy. For more information, please give us a call: 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 2/19/2013 at 4:32 PM by Progressive
i had three claims one car accident - guilty in 3/2012 one that some body hit me in 9/2011 one that my daugther in a parking open the door and because the wind she hit the car on the her side but the person never claim anything 10/2012 and i had ticket traffic for ride at 54 in 45 zone 2/2013. How bad could be my insurance and how much that increase my policy?
Posted on 2/23/2013 at 9:28 AM by Annette
If your DUI was 2 to 5 years ago, there are a few carriers that will give you the best chance at getting approved. Your MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) will play a big part in the table rating you receive. If you had 2 or more speeding tickets in the last year, you can expect to see an increase in premium.Alcohol consumption will also play a big role in getting approved for life insurance. Having a high GGT level indicates possible alcohol abuse and will result in the life insurance company ordering a CDT test. If this test comes back positive, you can expect a decline from the carrier.
Posted on 2/24/2013 at 9:55 AM by Sarah
hi, i was convicted of a DUI on may 30th 2010 and got my license fully restored and cleared on august 2nd 2010. can i get a quote this june which would make it 3 years from the conviction date or is it 3 years from the fully restored license date (august)?
Posted on 2/26/2013 at 5:17 PM by ken
Hi, I am in CA. How long does a DUI stay on my record for insurance purposes. An SR22 is still being filed as of now. My DUI date was 10/2003.
Posted on 2/26/2013 at 6:31 PM by Jennifer Hughes
I was convicted of a DUI 01/06/2010 in Brooklyn, NY. How long before my rate would go down. And i currently have a policy, will the rate be adjusted during my policy current term.
Posted on 2/26/2013 at 8:21 PM by Jerry
Hello, thank you for answering my question above. A second question that I have is in regards to Progressive pulling the DMV report at renewal time. When is this done? The reason I ask is because assume for a second that I had a chargeable event occur on the 10th of July and the period has elapsed to have the points removed; however, my policy renewal was on July 20th. How is the policy assessed since the renewal notice is sent in June? Does Progressive review the DMV record and consider the expiration of points that will occur prior to the 1st day of the new policy or what the report says at the time of acquisition? Thanks
Posted on 3/1/2013 at 5:16 AM by Chris
I was charged with Negligent Driving in March of 2010 (down from a DUI). I have elected not to drive in that timeframe. Since it has been 3 years, am I still required to get SR-22 insurance for the next three years if I start driving again, or is the passing of 3 years since the incident enough to satisfy the requirement?
Posted on 3/6/2013 at 9:46 PM by Tanya
Received a DWI in NC. My insurance premiums will be affected for only, which is a long only, 3 years after my conviction date. Is that statement correct, and if not, what is the timetable in NC? Thanks alot.
Posted on 3/11/2013 at 8:11 AM by Jake
My boyfriend had a DUI in 2010 and received his cdl in 2012 he is working for a company who try to get insurance with you last year and was told he had to wait until march 2013 when his 3 years was up. Now that its March there now saying its 10 years when e called to get insurance and bc the company itself has had 5 out of service violations in the past that they won't over my boyfriend . Is this correct as we keep getting different answers from people at progressive ? You guys state you only go back 3 years and that time is up so why do the company out of service violations have anything to do with it ? Please help ! Thanks
Posted on 3/14/2013 at 3:35 PM by Krista
I have multipul DUI convictions in Michugan. My last was in 2008 and I lost my license for 5 years. This year I'll be able to apply for it. Because its been longer than 35 months, will this still effect my insurance or will I have a "clean slate"? On a happier note, I've been sober now for almost 5 years!!! Thanks for your time.
Posted on 3/24/2013 at 1:34 PM by Jennelle
@Ken: The fact that you've had a DUI won't prevent you from getting insurance from Progressive. In some states, we use the occurrence date and in others, the conviction date, to determine when the violation will be removed from the policy. Typically, Progressive will keep violations on the driving record for three years.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:31 PM by Progressive
@Jennifer: In the state of CA, a Driving Under the Influence violation will remain on your driving record for 10 years, which disqualifies you from our Good Driver Discount for that period of time. However, points are only charged for 36 months from the occurrence date. As for the SR-22, that's a question to ask the DMV. If you no longer require the SR-22 filing, please let us know and we can remove that from your policy at any time.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:33 PM by Progressive
@Tanya: In most states, when you receive a DUI or a related violation, the state will notify you that you need to have an SR-22 on file with the state. Once you receive the notice, you'd need to contact your insurance company to advise them of the request.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:35 PM by Progressive
@Jake: Your statement is correct. In most states (such as NC), a DUI will stay on your driving history for 36 months. In NC, it's 36 months from the "conviction date," which usually is your court date.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:45 PM by Progressive
@Chris: You're welcome! We use a 30-day window when determining whether or not a violation should carry over to the renewal. If the violation is scheduled to fall off within the first 30 days of the renewal term, then typically, it is not added to that term.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:46 PM by Progressive
@Jerry: Violations stay on your policy for three years. Please give us a call for more information about your policy.You can reach us 24/7 at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:51 PM by Progressive
Does progressive go by occurrence date on dui's or conviction dates in mass? Also how far back do you look when it comes to my driving record? I have a DUI with an occurrence date of march 2006 and another in April 2008.. Other than the 2008 DUI I have nothing to date..can you please help me
Posted on 4/6/2013 at 2:29 AM by Nick