Should you buy insurance from a rental car company?

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 6/16/2008 at 1:00 PM

If you're renting a car, think about what you need before you purchase supplemental insurance or a damage waiver.

Whether you're on a trip and need transportation in a different city or your car is in the shop and you need a set of wheels to get to work and back, chances are you'll need to rent a car. That's the easy part. But, if you're like many of us, it becomes more difficult when you're faced with the decision of whether to purchase the additional insurance or damage waiver often offered by the rental car company.

Car Rental Insurance

To help you decide whether you should opt for the insurance offered by rental car companies, consider the following.

Do You Already Have Auto Insurance?

If you're looking for more coverage, you may want to consider purchasing the additional insurance offered by a rental car company.

Do keep in mind that you may not be able to rent a car at all if you don't have auto insurance, as several major car rental companies may require you to have it.

What Does Additional Coverage Actually Cover?

Make sure you know what's covered if you purchase additional coverage from a rental company. Common coverages offered by rental car companies include a damage waiver, supplemental liability, personal effects coverage and personal accident insurance. In general, each provides different types of protection, as noted below. Please note that these descriptions are for informational purposes only, and coverages may vary between rental car companies.

• Damage Waiver – If your rental car is damaged or stolen, this coverage will apply. However, you may not be able to use it for accidents caused by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. If you already have Comprehensive and Collision coverage, this coverage may duplicate coverage you already have on your own personal auto policy.
  • Supplemental Liability – Provides additional liability protection, generally up to $1 million, if someone makes a claim against you while you're driving a rental car. For instance, Supplemental Liability would apply if you're at fault for an accident and the other party files a claim against you for injuries and vehicle damage that exceed your regular policy limits. Supplemental Liability coverage may also provide Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist coverage, depending on the company selling it. If you already have adequate liability coverage on your car and an umbrella policy if you own your home/auto, you may want to forego this coverage.
  • Personal Effects Coverage (PEC) – Protects items and property you own if they're damaged. If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you may already have coverage, though a deductible may apply.
  • Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) – Covers your injuries while you're driving a rental. If you already have health insurance or adequate medical coverage under your auto policy, this coverage may be unnecessary.

With both PEC and PAI coverage, only you and your passengers are covered — if you're at fault for an accident, PEC and PAI would not apply to any damages or injuries caused to other parties.

Cost of Additional Insurance

If you choose to purchase the damage waiver, personal accident and effects coverage, or supplemental liability protection, you could pay twice as much for your rental. Often, these types of coverage can cost up to $25 or more each, in addition to the base price of your rental.

Are You Covered Elsewhere?

Sometimes, credit cards offer protection for rental cars. If you're using a credit card to rent a vehicle, check with your credit card company to see if and what type of coverage is offered. It may be a built-in perk of your card, in which case you may not need to pay extra for the same type of coverage offered by the rental car company.

Remember: Be sure to ask questions and verify what's covered before you purchase additional insurance from your rental car company. Only you can decide what's best for your financial situation and peace of mind.

Car Rental Tips:

Before you rent a car, consider the following:

1. Talk to your insurance agent or company.
    Your first step should be to find out if the coverage you have on your personal vehicle will provide protection for you in a rental car.
  2. Check with your credit card company.
    Some credit card companies provide coverage at no charge if you use their card to charge the cost of the rental.
  3. Take your personal auto insurance policy and details of your coverages with you to the rental car counter.
    You may be asked a question that these papers can answer-or, if you're in doubt, have your insurance company or agent's name and phone number readily available.

Comments

<p>rented a van to get our daughter stuff form UF, and because she n wife were going to be in the van I let the rental guy sell me everything Insurance..bad idea, the van was involved in n incident PRIOR to my rental n dates got screwed, I can only guess, they harrash me to unbelievable proportions by two Ins companies never heard before...for weeks!..never again for me..at the end called Progressive n they took care of things for a happy ending!!</p>
Posted on 1/29/2010 at 9:22 AM by Alex Orlovsky
<p>@robertsdeals, We&rsquo;re assuming you&rsquo;re asking about gap coverage for a rental car. If so, keep in mind that you&rsquo;d only use gap coverage if: you&rsquo;re in an accident, your vehicle is declared a total loss, and there&rsquo;s a gap between what you&rsquo;d get for the &quot;actual cash value&quot; of your vehicle and what you owe your bank or leasing company. So, you wouldn&rsquo;t need it for a rental. If we misunderstood your question, please give us a call: 1-800-776-4737.</p>
Posted on 11/12/2010 at 8:03 AM by Brittany R.
Keep in mind that if you do not purchase the additional insurance, you will have to meet what ever your deductable is on your regular insurance policy to repair damage you or others cause to your rental car while it is in your keeping. Just a thought to consider.
Posted on 10/16/2011 at 5:56 PM by Lisa
Are Uhaul type truck rentals usually covered?
Posted on 11/5/2011 at 9:20 AM by Forrest Snyder
@Forrest: No, a personal use auto policy would not cover a rented moving truck. Please check with the rental company about additional coverages they may offer.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:48 PM by Progressive
would a 12 passanger van be covered?
Posted on 1/21/2012 at 5:51 PM by Jeff
@Jeff: Yes, it would be covered, as long as you don't use it as a taxi or livery vehicle, and it doesn't have a gross vehicle weight of more than 12,000 pounds.
Posted on 1/23/2012 at 2:41 PM by Progressive
If a vehicle is rented in the U.S. and then driven into Canada is the vehicle still covered while driving in Canada?
Posted on 2/19/2012 at 8:56 PM by Adam
@Adam: Generally yes, your Progressive policy will cover your rental car, as long as one of the following people is driving it: you; the person listed as the "second named insured" on your policy; or anyone related to you who is covered by your policy. (Note: Your policy won't cover rental trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight exceeding 10,000 pounds.) There are a few exceptions, but they generally aren't applicable to someone renting a vehicle for a short time. You can review these exceptions by logging into your policy, going to the Documents section and opening a copy of your policy contract.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 10:42 AM by Progressive
What if I am renting a car in Europe, does my Progressive policy applies there too?
Posted on 3/18/2012 at 12:21 PM by Peter
@Peter: Unfortunately, your policy will only cover you in the United States, Canada and U.S. Territories. Consider asking your travel agent for names of agents who can provide you with temporary coverage while you're in Europe.
Posted on 3/19/2012 at 2:00 PM by Progressive
Dealership Rental Replacement vehicles apparently are different than 'loaner' or 'rental car' coverage. My Mercedes-Benz dealership (Schumacher European, Scottsdale AZ) will not give a free Warranty-Repair loaner Mercedes-Benz to Progressive Insurance customers. This is extremely disappointing as they will for all other insurance providers. There is a sign on the desk & they said to me that a woman drove head-into traffic in one of their loaner-Mercedes and wrecked the 24K at cost car and her Progressive insurance would not cover it nor did she have the money so the dealership ate the loss. Because Progressive would not cover it, no Progressive customers may get a loaner car. I will be considering this when renewing my policy. Perhaps you should call the dealership and work it out with them Progressive.
Posted on 3/20/2012 at 2:33 PM by Jason M.
I live in Michigan and will renting a motor cycle in South Dakota this summer. I currently have insurance on my motor cycle. Will I need to purchase renters insurance, since Michigan is a no fault state and South Dakota is not?
Posted on 3/21/2012 at 11:00 AM by Terese
<p>@Jason: Thanks for your comment. We're sorry to hear about the restriction your dealership has in place. Generally, our auto policies cover a rental vehicle as long as the vehicle is driven in the U.S., its territories or Canada. Coverage won't transfer to moving trucks, vehicles with fewer than four wheels, or vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 12,000 pounds. And, since coverage is not based on the vehicle type or incident details, there may have been another reason why we didn't cover the woman's claim.</p>
Posted on 3/22/2012 at 9:11 AM by Progressive
<p>@Terese: The coverage you currently have for your motorcycle will transfer to a rental. Keep in mind that most rental agencies require you to carry both comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy in order to waive their insurance. To confirm your current coverage or to make any necessary changes, give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.</p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="color:#1F497D"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
Posted on 3/22/2012 at 9:16 AM by Progressive
If I have motorcycle coverage with Progressive, will it cover me for automobile rentals or only motorcycle rentals?
Posted on 4/3/2012 at 8:25 PM by Re: Rental Question
@Re: Rental Question: If you have a motorcycle policy, the coverages would only transfer to rental motorcycles. Since there are different coverages for each product, it would not apply to an auto rental.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 3:00 PM by Progressive
I have Progressive insurance and opted out of additional insurance when I rented a car. A friend of mine backed into the car denting a bumper. Am I covered by my personal insurance policy or will I have pay for the damage out of pocket?
Posted on 4/10/2012 at 6:47 PM by Tim
@Tim: Based on what you told us, your friend's insurance would be responsible if he/she caused the damage. Please call our Claims Department at 1-800-274-4499 to discuss the situation in more detail.
Posted on 4/12/2012 at 5:07 PM by Progressive
Does my Progressive automobile policy cover a U-haul rental trailer if using it temporarily for a couple of days for personal use?
Posted on 4/26/2012 at 7:00 AM by R Jackson
I am renting a car in Zurich, Switzerland for 14 days. Will my personal auto insurance from Progressive cover the rental car or should I buy the LDW from the rental company ?
Posted on 5/8/2012 at 12:35 AM by Murtaza
@Murtaza: Unfortunately, our coverage does not extend overseas. Your policy only covers you in the United States, U.S. territories and Canada. Have a fun trip!
Posted on 5/9/2012 at 9:13 AM by Progressive
I don't have any insurance and my credit card is a debit card as well. I don't have a car, but am renting one while I look for one. Should I buy the car rental insurance, or can Progressive or some company insure me for the week I rent the rental and then transfer that to my new or used car?
Posted on 5/14/2012 at 1:13 PM by Shelley
@Shelley: We may be able to offer you a Named Operator policy through one of our local Progressive agents. A Named Operator policy offers basic liability coverage for you to drive any vehicle. and it can be changed into a regular policy when you buy a vehicle. To find a local agent that may be able to help, call us anytime at 1-800-876-5581 or visit us online at progressiveagent.com.
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 8:59 AM by Progressive
Above it states: "Generally, your personal auto insurance should extend to a rental car. A rental car most likely would be covered by Collision coverage or Liability coverage, depending on the state in which your policy is issued, because you're temporarily driving it and you don't own it. Basically, your policy will treat a rental like your primary vehicle while you're in possession of it." My policy is from Indiana and I will be renting a car in Florida. Do I need to purchase insurance or will the rental be covered by Progressive?
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 9:54 AM by Tabatha
@Tabatha: Your Indiana policy will cover you in the state of Florida. Just be sure you have comprehensive and collision, which are required by rental agencies. If necessary, you can call us to add these coverages before you rent a vehicle, then remove them afterward. Please note: Your coverage will not transfer to step vans, parcel delivery vans, cargo cutaway vans, vans with cabs separate from the cargo area, moving trucks and any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of more than 10,000 pounds. If you have questions, give us a call at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 5/21/2012 at 3:04 PM by Progressive
Does progressive offer rental car insurance for someone who does not own a car and does not currently have insurance through progressive?
Posted on 5/27/2012 at 3:14 PM by Matt
I understand that my personal car insurance should extend to the rental car, but what if my policy is written based on the State of Alaska guidelines? Even though Alaska is part of the United States, our state is not considered contiguous if this even matters.
Posted on 5/29/2012 at 5:11 PM by James Jones
I am renting a car in Canada. I have a basic policy in FL. Will I be covered? I am visiting family and will be driving a mini van. I also purchased insurance from the rental agency.
Posted on 6/1/2012 at 7:35 PM by Sharad
I will be immigrating into Canada from the USA in two months and would like to know if I can keep my Progressive Car insurance policy or if I need to change insurers. Is it possible to keep my policy?
Posted on 6/5/2012 at 3:21 PM by Carol
@James: We do not differentiate between contiguous and non-contiguous states. Your coverage applies in the United States, U.S. territories and Canada.
Posted on 6/6/2012 at 5:17 PM by Progressive
@Sharad: Yes, your Progressive policy covers you in Canada, as long as the rental vehicle weighs less the 12,000 lbs. This means all of the coverages you carry on your policy (with the exception of Roadside Assistance if you have it) would transfer to the rental vehicle.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 8:47 AM by Progressive
Unfortunately, Jason is correct. "Loaner" vehicles are NOT covered by Progressive. This is different than a "Rental", which may be covered depending on your policy. I as well had the same experience with my Mercedes-Benz dealership here in New Jersey this week. They will not provide a Loaner to any Progressive customers. After speaking with Progressive several times, I finally learned that this is because Progressive will be a 'secondary' insurance on a Loaner (leaving the dealership liable as the primary). A rental is covered differently (as I was able to get a Toyota vehicle instead through Toyota Rent-a-Car). i'd always assumed that coverage would carry over to any 'replacement vehicle', but now know that Progressive only will do this for a 'Rental'. Maybe not a huge issue, but it is frustrating to drop off your very expensive vehicle for two weeks, and to drive one that is a third of the cost because of a term (rental vs loaner vs replacement vehicle). I'm not sure why Progressive would do this differently than any other insurance provider, but it's certainly a factor for me in my upcoming renewal.
Posted on 6/11/2012 at 12:03 PM by Sean
@Matt: No, we don't currently offer this type of insurance.
Posted on 6/12/2012 at 1:28 PM by Progressive
<p>@Carol: You would be able to maintain your coverage with us until the end of your current policy term, since our coverage extends into Canada. However, we don't write Canadian insurance, so unfortunately, you'll need to switch to a Canadian insurance provider at renewal time. Please contact us at 1-800-776-4737 at your convenience to update your mailing address when you move. We can also set your policy up for non-renewal.</p>
Posted on 6/12/2012 at 1:41 PM by Progressive
I have Progressive auto policy. I also have a Progressive Personal Umbrella Policy. My understanding is that the auto policy provides coverage if I rent a vehicle. Does my Umbrella Policy cover me when I rent a car?
Posted on 6/14/2012 at 2:48 PM by Michael Gates
I am a second driver on our auto insurance but my name is not printed on the policy card that we carry in our car. I am Canadian and if I rent a car in the States do I need additional coverage or full coverage from the rental company?
Posted on 6/18/2012 at 10:59 AM by Karen
@Karen: Identification cards normally list the named insured and the spouse of the named insured, or the secondary named insured on the policy. If you're listed on the policy as a rated driver, but your name is not on the Identification card, you can use the policy declarations page as proof of insurance. Your Progressive policy will cover your rental car, as long as you, the person listed as the "second named insured" on your policy, or anyone related to you who's also covered by your policy, is driving it. Your policy will cover you if you're driving in the U.S., its territories or Canada, as long as you're not renting a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight exceeding 10,000 pounds. The policy will cover you up to the limits and deductibles listed on your policy. You'll want to give us a call to verify your coverage limits and deductibles.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
@Karen: Your Umbrella policy is an "excess liability" policy. In other words, if the liability limits on the auto are exhausted, then the Umbrella coverage would go into effect. Since the auto policy liability transfers to a rental, the same would be true of the Umbrella.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:58 AM by Progressive
I am considering renting a vehicle through priceline.com for an upcoming trip to Missouri. My policy was written in Georgia. Would the coverages on my current policy extend to the rental in Missouri. Thanks.
Posted on 6/23/2012 at 9:56 PM by christy
I am going to Puerto Rico and I am planning on renting a vehicle, would I be covered? Would it matter what type of vehicle I rent? I was looking at renting a SUV. If covered, to what extent?
Posted on 6/26/2012 at 2:03 PM by Heradio Lopez
@Christy: Yes, generally your coverages transfer to a rental car if you're the driver. However, you will want to make sure you have sufficient coverage. To do so, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737 to review your policy.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 10:01 AM by Progressive
@Heradio: Yes, generally your coverages transfer to a rental car in the U.S. and Canada, if you're the driver. However, you will want to make sure you have sufficient coverage for the SUV. To do so, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737 to review your policy.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 10:12 AM by Progressive
If you have a rental car and have an accident does progressive insurance, cover you? If I have Progressive car insurance and I were to rent a car in Iowa even though I live in Nevada and I were involved in an accident and did not take the rental car insurance would progressive still cover me? I have Liability to other. Uninsured/underinsured, Comprehensive, Collision,
Posted on 7/8/2012 at 4:27 AM by Lewis
Is there insurance that will cover me on anything I drive
Posted on 7/8/2012 at 4:29 PM by sean
@Lewis: Yes, generally your Progressive coverages transfer to a rental car if you're the driver. To make sure you have sufficient coverage, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737 to review your policy.
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 8:40 AM by Progressive
Posted on 7/11/2012 at 12:58 PM by Christy
I have auto-policy in GA and plan to travel in CA for two weeks with friends who do have international driver license..(do not have US D.L)... Is that possible to buy some policy to cover them with my auto-insurance just for two weeks? (for example: add driver with international DL for just two weeks) or should i buy in rental place...?
Posted on 7/17/2012 at 1:28 PM by Megann
If I have full coverage on my mustangs and I get cought speeding on a motorcycle does my full coverage carry over to my motorcycle.
Posted on 7/19/2012 at 3:40 PM by Eric
Hi, I have coverage on my motorcycle. Am i covered drving in Canada? Thanks!
Posted on 7/23/2012 at 5:03 PM by John
@John: Your Progressive auto policy covers a rental vehicle as long as you're driving in the U.S., its territories or Canada, and you aren't renting a moving truck or a vehicles with less than four wheels or a Gross Vehicle Weight of 12,000 pounds. For more information, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 10:42 AM by Progressive
@Christy: Your Progressive auto policy doesn't cover moving trucks or vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 12,000 pounds. For more information, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 11:00 AM by Progressive
@Megann: Your friends would be covered under your policy through "permissive use," as long as they're legally able to drive in the U.S. Have a nice trip!
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:49 PM by Progressive
@Eric: Unfortunately, coverage is purchased per vehicle and cannot be transferred.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:50 PM by Progressive
@John: Good question! And yes, you're also covered on the motorcycle in Canada. Please call us for a "Canadian ID card." It is required and makes crossing the border easier.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:59 PM by Progressive
I currently only have liability ins coverage on my car which is paid for. I will be renting a car for vacation soon but don't want to pay for any extra ins. I was thinking of adding comp/collision to my policy before trip. Would this be the better thing to do?
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 6:36 PM by Ruby Martin
@Ruby: You can call us to add Comprehensive and Collision before you rent a vehicle, then remove them afterward. We're here 24/7 at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/25/2012 at 2:03 PM by Progressive
If I have a personal vehicle insured with Progressive in VA, does my liability coverage extend to a small utility trailer, or do I need to purchase/add it?
Posted on 8/2/2012 at 4:32 PM by Jason
@Jason: Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability will extend to the trailer while it's attached to or being pulled by your vehicle. We'd be glad to review your policy to see if any of the other coverages would apply. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 9:34 AM by Progressive
my uncle wants to rent me a car to go to florida in his name. however i am only 20 dont turn 21 until the day the vehicle is returned. what will happen if something happens to the rental. will he have to pay for the whole car or just the deductble. what should i do.
Posted on 8/23/2012 at 1:55 AM by kevin
I have Liability Auto Insurance Coverage with Progressive in The State of Texas, I will be travelling to Minnesota, and most likely rent a car. What Coverage will I get on my rental from Progressive? Will I get covered for Liability?
Posted on 8/25/2012 at 11:24 PM by Anish Pokharel
@Anish: Generally your Progressive coverages transfer to a rental car if you're the driver. To make sure you have sufficient coverage, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737 to review your policy.
Posted on 9/4/2012 at 2:30 PM by Progressive
@Kevin: Your uncle should check with his insurer. If it's Progressive, he should call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 10:24 AM by Progressive
I am covered by progressive i plan on renting a car down in fla the car will be in my girlfriends name but i will be primary driver would the car be covered under my policy?
Posted on 9/12/2012 at 9:04 AM by sergio
@Sergio: Yes, your policy covers a rental vehicle in Florida, as long as you aren't renting a moving truck, vehicle with less than four wheels or vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 12,000 pounds.
Posted on 9/17/2012 at 12:42 PM by Progressive
I have two cars on my policy: one with comprehensive and collision, and the other with just collision. When renting a car, which coverage will apply to the rental? How are rental cars handled with multiple insured vehicles with different levels of coverage?
Posted on 9/18/2012 at 10:47 AM by Eric G
I want to know how this insurance thing will work in the following situation. Let us say, I along with 3 other friends of mine are going to rent a car in Arizona (Where I have insurance with progressive, my friends might have insurance with progressive or any other company like geico) and travel to Los angeles. If I rent a car on my name, my progressive insurance will cover me but how about my other friends who are added as drivers onto the vehicle by the rental company. If they are driving, they will be covered by their own insurance, despite the fact that they are not the primary renter of the car? Please clarify.
Posted on 10/3/2012 at 5:17 PM by Anand Kumar
@Anand: Generally, your Progressive coverage would extend to all drivers in this situation. Please give us a call to discuss in more detail.
Posted on 10/8/2012 at 1:41 PM by Progressive
I currently live in Colorado and have coverage on a 2011 and 2009 car. We will be vacationing in Florida for 3 weeks in 2013 and I want to know if my insurance will cover our rental car.
Posted on 11/15/2012 at 9:55 PM by TOM
Im in US. I have a progressive insurance , Im going for canada on a vacation, if i rent a car in canada does my progressive insurance cover.
Posted on 11/18/2012 at 5:44 PM by Sri
I don't own a car and therfore I dont have an auto insurance, but i take the insurance from the rental ajency whenever i rent a car which is costing me more since i rent the car very often.Is there any insurance policy paricularly for rental cars that i can pay on monthly basis instead of taking it with the car??Please help me on this.Thanks..
Posted on 11/29/2012 at 9:29 PM by Inang
Will progressive cover a rental that is rented in Managua Nicaragua?
Posted on 12/5/2012 at 9:03 PM by Policy holder
will you please explain more this , it sounds like my insurance doesn't cover rental cars !!! "Rental Coverage on Your Policy Does Not Cover Damage to or Caused by Rental Cars If you have Rental Reimbursement coverage on your policy, you can only use it to rent a car if your personal vehicle on your policy is in the shop because of an accident. Rental coverage does not cover damage to a rental or damage caused while you're driving a rental."
Posted on 12/8/2012 at 4:10 AM by Ali
Are 15 passenger vans covered?
Posted on 12/14/2012 at 9:30 AM by Dorian H
@Inang: We do not offer an insurance policy solely for rental cars. If you have a policy for your own vehicle, the coverage would transfer to a rental, but we cannot write you a policy without a vehicle of your own.
Posted on 12/17/2012 at 3:02 PM by Progressive
@Policyholder: Your Progressive policy will not cover a vehicle rented outside the U.S./U.S. territories or Canada.
Posted on 12/17/2012 at 3:40 PM by Progressive
@Dorian: Typically, vehicles that accommodate more passengers than a standard size van are covered by a commercial policy and not a personal auto policy. Please give our commercial division a call at 1-800-895-2886.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:18 AM by Progressive
My wife and I have our RV comprehensively insured with Progressive which we drive from RV Park to RV Park. Given the RV is large and unweildy in towns we typically rent a car to explore and run errands. We do not own a car. Does our RV insurance cover the rental? If not, is it possible to extend the policy so that it does? Thanks in advance.
Posted on 12/21/2012 at 4:02 AM by Robert Bogers
I will be going for interviews in various States next month and will need to rent cars in Michigan, Florida, Virginia, New Orleans, Mississippi and Tennessee. I live in Texas and have been with Progressive for several years (used to live in Florida). Does my insurance provide coverage in al these States?
Posted on 12/29/2012 at 12:15 PM by Karla C.
@Robert: To ensure you're adequately covered, please call us anytime at 1-855-266-8485, and we'd be glad to review your policy with you.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:18 AM by Progressive
@Ali: There are two ways that a car insurance policy can cover rental cars: 1. Rental reimbursement: This covers the cost of a rental car if you have a claim. It’s an optional coverage you can add if you have Comprehensive and Collision coverage. 2. Coverage transfer: When you rent a car for any reason, your car insurance coverages generally transfer to it, as long as you, or anyone related to you who's also covered by your policy, are driving it and are listed as a driver on the rental contract. It will not cover the cost of your rental. If you need more information, please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:23 PM by Progressive
@Karla: Generally yes, your Progressive policy coverages transfer to your rental car, as long as you, the person listed as the "second named insured" on your policy, or anyone related to you who's also covered by your policy, is driving it and is listed as a driver on the rental contract. It will not cover the cost of your rental. You can learn more about how your coverages transfer by logging into your policy and going to the Documents section.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:32 PM by Progressive
If I am insured by Progressive and I drive a rental car rented by someone else, do I have to be named by the rental car company as a driver to be covered by Progressive? If it were a long term rental and I drove for a short period of time on a road trip would there be an issue with coverage?
Posted on 1/17/2013 at 5:05 PM by Mike
@Mike: To answer your question, we'd need to look at your specific policy. Please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/24/2013 at 11:12 AM by Progressive
If im renting a car in FL, and another driver hits me (flagrantly at fault) , does my MA policy cover me?? Rental Car company tells me I have to have optional ins for that... and if the rental is out of service for (lets say 3 weeks) that im responsible for the money they could have made renting the car for that time... Im thinking of making some changes in my Insurance company..currently have NGM..
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 6:59 PM by Norm
I'm renting a car in Seattle and the company requires full coverage. The past time I rented locally, my agent told me that even with full coverage, only liability would transfer to the rental. How do I make this rental happen??
Posted on 2/15/2013 at 4:47 AM by Lacie Ford
@Lacie: We need to look over your policy to accurately answer your question. Please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 2/19/2013 at 4:30 PM by Progressive
I have progressive auto insurance. I need to either rent, borrow, or buy a cargo trailer to move my daughter. How can I get covereage? The owner is willing to do any relationship that will cover the trailer if we should have an accident.
Posted on 2/24/2013 at 11:35 AM by Susan
I'm thinking about taking a trip to Jamaica. My husband and I have full coverage from our Progressive policy. Will it cover us if we want to rent a car in Montego Bay? Thanks, Heather
Posted on 2/27/2013 at 1:29 PM by Heather
Posted on 2/27/2013 at 2:13 PM by Heather
@Susan: We need a little more detail to give you an accurate answer. Please contact our sales department at 1-855-266-8485 and explain your situation and what you're going to need. We can tell you, though, that if the owner of the trailer currently has insurance on it, there shouldn't be two policies. In that case, the trailer owner may want to contact his insurance company to find out how to proceed.
Posted on 2/27/2013 at 2:27 PM by Progressive
Do I need Supplemental Liability Insurance for rental car? Does the liability insurance bought by the auto rental company cover me to the minumum statutory extent? If so, I feel that I can skip the supplemental liability insurance. I dont own a car and dont have an auto insurance.
Posted on 3/7/2013 at 10:13 PM by Harsha
I will be moving in a couple of weeks. I have an auto policy with Progressive. Can I get coverage thru Progressive for the moving truck and car hauler rental?
Posted on 3/31/2013 at 1:45 PM by Andy
I plan on renting a car and adding comprehensive and collision to my insurance. Does it matter if I purchase let's say the 500 and 5000 coverage or does it have to be the highest?
Posted on 4/7/2013 at 10:40 PM by april