Auto Insurance Discounts

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 2/9/2009 at 1:00 PM

Why do companies offer different auto insurance discounts, and what discounts does Progressive offer?

Many people think all auto insurance companies offer the same coverages and options. In actuality, it varies quite a bit from company to company. Just like with other types of businesses, auto insurance companies determine what they'll offer and how they'll offer it, and auto insurance discounts are included in that mix. What one company offers, another may not.

For instance, many auto insurance companies offer a discount for multiple policies. If you have your auto insurance and your homeowners insurance with the same company, you may get a discount. However, other discounts may be less common, such as employee discounts, online discounts, military discounts, etc.

So, keep in mind that auto insurance discounts vary depending on who's providing the quote.

Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts

Progressive offers several types of auto insurance discounts depending on where you live, including:

• E-sign – Save on your first policy when you sign your documents online at purchase.
  • Homeowners – Receive a discount on your car insurance simply for owning your house, condo or mobile home.
  • Multi-car – If you insure more than one car, you'll receive a multi-car discount.
  • Pay in Full – Pay for your entire policy up front to receive a 10% discount.

In some states, you may qualify for programs that offer the chance to save money on auto insurance, such as MyRateSM or Name Your Price®, too.

How to Qualify for Auto Insurance Discounts

Generally, you need to meet specific criteria to qualify for auto insurance discounts. Some are quite simple: Insure more than one car for a multi-car discount, be a full-time student under a certain age and with a certain GPA for a student discount, etc.

With every Progressive auto quote, we'll apply any discounts you qualify for to your quote and tell you about them when we give you your price. We ask specific questions during your quote — which you can usually complete in about six minutes — that help us determine what you're eligible for, so make sure you answer all questions to the best of your ability.

Times are tough nowadays, so many people are taking money-saving measures wherever they can, and auto insurance discounts can easily be one of these measures. Make sure you're receiving every discount you qualify for. Remember: If you get a Progressive auto quote, we'll be sure to tell you about them. Call us today at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE for yours. Or, get a quote online now.

Comments

Do you offer auto ins discount for completing a computer based Driver Safety class?
Posted on 10/20/2009 at 4:38 PM by albert maraziti
This discount is not mentioned in any ads or the online quote. If I had not taken the extra step to view the discounts I would have purchased over priced insurance.
Posted on 11/29/2009 at 11:56 PM by Joe`
Do you offer discount for the person with engineers degree .. I know there are few other insurance companies that do that.
Posted on 5/17/2010 at 8:09 PM by Suresh
@Suresh, Thanks for your question. We do consider education level when determining rates in some states, but we don't offer a discount like the one you mentioned. If you're a Progressive customer and want to update your education level, you can log in to your policy or call 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 6/9/2010 at 2:57 PM by Brittany R.
Does progressive offer a military discount?
Posted on 12/15/2010 at 2:21 PM by jamie
Does Progressive offer discounts to volunteer EMS/firefighters?
Posted on 12/17/2010 at 4:50 PM by Brian J.
<p>@Jamie, We do offer military discounts in some states. Please start a quote (it's free) to quickly see which discounts apply to you.</p>
Posted on 12/21/2010 at 11:18 AM by Brittany R.
@Brian, Thanks for your question. We don’t offer discounts for volunteer EMS/firefighters—but we do offer lots of other discounts. You can find out which discounts apply to you by getting a free quote.
Posted on 12/21/2010 at 12:38 PM by Brittany R.
Does the $50 E-Sign discount apply to the total cost of the policy? For example, if the total cost of the policy is $650, with the discount it would be $600 and each monthly payment would be $100. Or does the discount apply to each month which would make the total cost of the policy $950 without the discount and each monthly payment around $160? Please respond as I am currently shopping around for insurance and the quote Progressive offers me seems too good to be true. I think it might have to do with the E-Sign discount.
Posted on 1/15/2011 at 5:42 AM by Jorge
what is the cutoff age for a good student discount? I am a 25 year old full time graduate student with a 3.67 GPA
Posted on 1/16/2011 at 9:45 PM by Denise Musumeci
@Jorge, Thanks for getting a quote from us! Your E-Sign discount applies to the total cost of your policy, and it's a one-time only discount.
Posted on 1/20/2011 at 1:56 PM by Progressive
@Denise, Unfortunately, our Good Student Discount is only available to students who are younger than 23. If you’d like to see which of our discounts you qualify for, please start a free quote.
Posted on 1/20/2011 at 2:12 PM by Progressive
Couple of questions -- first, do you offer a discount for completion of a safe driving/defensive driving course? Second, is the 'snapshot' discount available to existing policy holders, or just new policies? Thank you for your assistance.
Posted on 1/21/2011 at 3:39 PM by Brian
@Brian, Yes to both of your questions. In some states, we offer a driver improvement/accident prevention course, and Snapshot is available to existing customers, as well as new customers, in most states. You can enroll online, by logging into your policy, or by phone.
Posted on 1/28/2011 at 9:57 AM by Progressive
Why do you only offer military discounts for certain states?
Posted on 2/4/2011 at 1:38 PM by Cedric
Do you offer federal employee discount?
Posted on 2/7/2011 at 1:36 PM by Monica
@Cedric, Right now, we only offer a specific military discount in states where it's required by law. In some states, we consider your occupation when we determine your rate, so a member of the military might get a slightly lower rate, even if it's not called out in a specific discount. We might start doing this in other states, too.
Posted on 2/11/2011 at 12:46 PM by Progressive
@Monica, We don’t offer a discount specifically for federal employees; however, in select states, we consider your occupation when we determine your rate, so as a federal employee, you might get a slightly lower rate, even if it's not called out in a specific discount.
Posted on 2/15/2011 at 8:53 AM by Progressive
I have an existing policy with Progressive and have just completed the Smith Systems Driver Safety Training for work. I live and have received my certification in the state of Michigan. I saw in an above question that Progressive does offer discounts for certain driver safety programs in some states. Do I qualify?
Posted on 2/16/2011 at 12:16 AM by Jeremy
@Jeremy, Unfortunately, we don’t offer defensive driver course discounts in Michigan. However, you might consider signing up for Snapshot—it’s a discount you earn for good driving. You can get more information here: progressive.com/snapshot.
Posted on 2/18/2011 at 1:37 PM by Progressive
Do you offer military discounts in the state of New York?
Posted on 2/18/2011 at 8:56 PM by Steven
Will Progressive offer a discount for having OnStar?
Posted on 2/20/2011 at 6:57 PM by Lance
My son gets his license in a few weeks. He has a good GPA and will complete Defensive Driver lessons. We live in RI do you offer discounts for these?
Posted on 2/27/2011 at 2:08 PM by Robin
@Steven, We don't offer military discounts in NY. But, in some states, we consider your occupation when we determine your rate, so a member of the military might get a slightly lower rate, even if it's not called out in a specific discount.
Posted on 2/28/2011 at 8:05 AM by Progressive
@Lance, You might earn a discount for having an OnStar device, depending on where you live and what type of coverage you have. The quickest way to find out if you’re eligible is to quote with us (if you aren’t a customer) or log in to your policy and go to the discounts section (if you already have Progressive car insurance).
Posted on 2/28/2011 at 8:19 AM by Progressive
Do you offer a discount for State Employee's?
Posted on 2/28/2011 at 1:04 PM by Victoria
Roadside Coverage. Your coverage limits, deductibles, and certain exclusions may apply. Please read your progressive direct policy for details. Im strongly considering getting Progressive for my auto insurance, but I ran into this when looking at the roadside coverage info. What does this exactly mean, what exclusions could there be if Im would pay for this optional coverage?
Posted on 3/2/2011 at 6:06 PM by kelz
@Robin, Unfortunately, we don't offer our Good Student Discount in RI right now. To see what discounts your son might qualify for, please log in to your Progressive policy or give us a call.
Posted on 3/7/2011 at 12:36 PM by Progressive
@Victoria, We don't offer discounts for state employees. But, in some states, we consider your occupation when we determine your rate, so a state employee might get a slightly lower rate, even if it's not called out in a specific discount.
Posted on 3/7/2011 at 12:37 PM by Progressive
@Kelz, Thanks for considering us for your car insurance, and yes, there are some specific exclusions for your Roadside Assistance coverage. For example, you can choose where you want to be towed, as long as it's within 15 miles of where you broke down. And, we'll pay for labor at the scene of the breakdown, up to an hour. We also don't offer Roadside Assistance coverage for Named Operator policies. For details on everything your Roadside Assistance would cover, please visit this page: http://www.progressive.com/auto/progressive-car-insurance/roadside-assistance.aspx.
Posted on 3/7/2011 at 12:38 PM by Progressive
what is the GPA requirement for a discount? I am 20 a fulltime student with a 3.5 GPA how do i get the discount? i am currently a policy holder.
Posted on 3/11/2011 at 2:53 AM by Brianna
@Brianna, Based on what you've told us, you would qualify for our Good Student Discount, as long as it's available in your state. To find out if it is, please log in to your policy (here's the link: http://www.progressive.com/login.aspx) and go to the discounts section.
Posted on 3/15/2011 at 10:13 AM by Progressive
My previous insurance offered a College Educated discount, meaning I have at least a Bachelors degree. I am a GVSU alumni( Grand Valley State University) is there a discount for this?
Posted on 5/12/2011 at 3:25 PM by Gabe
@Gabe, We do consider education level when determining rates in some states, but we don't offer a discount like the one you mentioned.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 2:27 PM by Progressive
So I already have an automotive insurance policy with progressive which has been good, however I had to switch banks and lost my e-sign discount.. Is there any way to get that discount back? Also I'd like to know about what percentage off a motorcycle policy I could get since I already have a policy with Progressive. Full price hardly makes sense.. I mean you can't operate both vehicles at once lol so why pay so much If I'm the only person on the policy! Thanks for you time!
Posted on 8/2/2011 at 9:58 AM by Jake
@Jake, Our E-sign Discount is a one-time, $50 discount. And yes, if you have more than one Progressive policy (like auto and motorcycle), you'll get our Multi Policy Discount. Please give us a call so we can review your discounts with you and make sure you're getting all your savings.
Posted on 8/9/2011 at 9:09 AM by Progressive
I just completed the Smith Systems Driver Safety Training in the state of NY. Will this qualify me for a discount on my policy?
Posted on 9/21/2011 at 7:42 AM by Julie
I currently have progressive insurance. I am 22 yrs old. I am taking college courses and am making good grades. How do I apply for the good student discount?
Posted on 9/21/2011 at 11:43 PM by Kayla
A lot of your responses wind up saying "in some states." Why isn't there a list on your web site of which discounts apply in which states? In particular, I want to know if there is a discount for completion of a safe driving/defensive driving course in Massachusetts.
Posted on 9/22/2011 at 7:25 PM by Michael
I live in the state of Utah and my family and I have all gone through the Smith system defensive driving course. Are we eligble for a safe driving course discount?
Posted on 9/27/2011 at 7:10 AM by Linda
@Michael - We do not offer a Defensive Driving course discount in Massachusetts. We can’t offer every discount in every state... and many discounts have qualifications and variables that depend on the information you enter into your quote. So, if a customer is quoting, qualifying discounts will be applied and they can review all the discounts in which they are eligible.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:13 AM by Progressive
@Kayla - We don’t offer a good student discount in all states and qualifications can be state-specific as well. To see if you qualify, just call 800-776-4737 anytime. We’ll ask a few questions - and if you qualify, we’ll add the discount.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:17 AM by Progressive
@Julie - We do offer an Advanced Driver Training discount for drivers under the age of 21. The training must be approved by the Department of Education and consist of at least 30 hours of classroom training and 6 hours driving training.
Posted on 10/3/2011 at 9:24 AM by Progressive
@Linda, In Utah, we do offer a discount for drivers 55 or older who have completed a State Highway approved accident prevention course. There are other qualifications, so please call to review. 800-776-4737.
Posted on 10/19/2011 at 8:19 AM by Progressive
What is the gpa one must have to get a student discount?
Posted on 10/23/2011 at 5:19 PM by Isamar
i just completed the "smith system defensive driving course, onRoad format" through my job. This was an 8hr course. It Involved 5hrs classroom and them 3hrs driving, split between me and another guy. I have a certificate and a driver evaluation form. My question is, does this count as a defensive driving course in ny for the purposes of an insurance discount?
Posted on 10/24/2011 at 3:29 PM by John
Do you offer a discount for taking the AARP Safe Driving Course online? I live in RI. Thank you, Bob
Posted on 10/25/2011 at 8:24 PM by Robert Trivett
Hi. I work for the DHH in Louisiana and just passed the drivesafeLA.org - Defensive Driving course offered by the state. Is there a discount in my state for this?
Posted on 11/3/2011 at 9:08 AM by Toni
I'm 19 years old and I was looking to get insurance on my car under my parents since everything is under their name, in order for me to be added on to their car insurance through progressive do I have to be in college?
Posted on 11/9/2011 at 11:00 AM by alicia
I just got insurance with you guys again, do you offer a military discount For Active Army stationed at Ft. Carson CO, inside Colorado Springs, also have taken an online accident avoidance course would that count, also having an alarm?
Posted on 11/19/2011 at 3:08 PM by Shaun
@John, Robert and Toni: Safety/defensive driving course discounts vary by state. When you quote online, you’ll see all the discounts you’ve qualified for. Or feel free to call (1-800-776-4737), and we’ll check for you.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:34 AM by Progressive
@Isamar: We don’t offer a good student discount in all states and qualifications can be state-specific as well. If you qualify, we’ll add this discount when you quote.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 11:35 AM by Progressive
@Shaun: Right now, we only offer a specific military discount in states where it's required by law. Your military training can help you get a lower rate, even if it's not called out in a specific discount. Safety/defensive driving course and alarm discounts also vary by state. To see if you qualify, give us a call anytime at 1 800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 12:04 PM by Progressive
@Alicia: No, you don't need to be in college to be on your parents' policy. In order for them to insure you, you must reside in their household and keep the vehicle at their residence. If you live on your own and the vehicle is not kept at your parents' residence, you'll need to obtain a policy of your own. Your parents can be listed as the additional interest if they own the vehicle; otherwise, they do not need to be listed on your policy unless you live in MA or NY.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 4:40 PM by Progressive
My rate went up about fifty bucks more and I was told this was due to E- sign? Can you elaborate a little more on this? I was told this was a one time fee. I am also confused as to why my rate would go up as I thought Esign was a discount?
Posted on 1/10/2012 at 10:50 PM by Ashlyn
@Ashlyn: We understand your concern. The Esign Fulfillment Discount is a one-time $50 discount for signing forms like your policy application online. After your first policy term, this discount expires.
Posted on 1/12/2012 at 8:02 AM by Progressive
Do you offer discount to veterans in Georgia?
Posted on 1/26/2012 at 10:13 AM by Tiffani
@Tiffani: Currently, there is no discount for veterans in the state of Georgia.
Posted on 1/30/2012 at 11:01 AM by Progressive
Does the 50 discount online apply to call ins as well I prefer to setup over the phone and also is there any states that can't get the discount
Posted on 2/7/2012 at 4:46 PM by Jeanie bell
@Jeanie: If you're asking whether our $50 E-sign Discount applies to policies sold over the phone, the answer is yes. You can buy your insurance policy over the phone, then sign online to receive the discount. Currently, the E-sign Discount is available in every state except California and North Carolina. In Delaware, there are some restrictions.
Posted on 2/8/2012 at 8:26 AM by Progressive
Ive had a policy with progressive for a couple years now. I just recently took the 4. basic driving improvement course online. I live in florida. Is there a discount for that and if so, what do I need to do to get it?
Posted on 2/12/2012 at 1:24 AM by sara williams
I have an auto policy with Progressive and a motorcycle policy as well, but they have to separate logins. Should this make me eligible for some kind of multi policy discount?
Posted on 2/15/2012 at 8:12 PM by Nicole
<p>@Sara: Currently, in the state of Florida, taking an accident prevention course would only qualify you for a discount if you're 55 years of age or older. If this is the case, we'll just ask you to provide certification that you completed the course. (Please note: If you took the course as part of a mandatory court order, you won't be eligible for a discount.)</p>
Posted on 2/16/2012 at 10:34 AM by Progressive
I think your last post beginning with "@Nicole" was in response to the post made by Sara Williams. I was asking about a multi-policy discount and I am in Texas.
Posted on 2/16/2012 at 10:36 PM by Nicole
@Nicole: Sorry for the mix-up! We would be happy to review your policies with you to ensure you're not missing out on a discount. To do so, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 8:47 AM by Progressive
I would like to know if the defensive driver discount is available for us living in Montana? If so, how much is the discount and what proof is required and how is that discount applied...
Posted on 2/22/2012 at 7:57 PM by Matthew
I have a current policy with Progressive and although I receive mulitiple discounts already (multicar,home, snapshot, etc), my new employer, CCI, says I can get another discount since I am employed there. How do I check on this?
Posted on 2/25/2012 at 6:43 AM by ANN
@Matthew: In Montana, we offer a discount for active members of the Montana National Guard who have completed the Highway Traffic Safety program. The discount is good for two years and is applied as soon as you provide us with a course completion certificate.
Posted on 2/28/2012 at 10:02 AM by Progressive
@Ann: Discounts vary based on state as well as policy type. To see a full list of discounts that apply to you, log into your policy at progressive.com/login. Discount information is housed here for easy access and reference.
Posted on 2/28/2012 at 1:03 PM by Progressive
I have been with Progressive for many years, 4 vehicles/ one boat also home owners policy. Question: do you offer discounts for customers that work from home?
Posted on 2/29/2012 at 12:10 AM by Sam
Hello! I noticed as well that in some states you offer a discount for customers that have completed a defensive driving course. I recently finished such a course for AT&T and I live in Louisiana. Do I qualify for a discount? If so, how do I go about obtaining it? Thanks in advance!
Posted on 2/29/2012 at 9:29 PM by Johnathon
<p>@Sam: Thank you for being a long-term customer. We don't offer a discount for working from home at this time, but we do offer a discount via our Snapshot program for driving fewer miles than the average in your state. Please log into your policy to find out if Snapshot is available in your area and if it is, you can sign up today.</p>
Posted on 3/1/2012 at 9:21 AM by Progressive
For home owners discount what proof of home ownership is required?
Posted on 3/3/2012 at 9:28 PM by Douglas
@Johnathon: At this time, we don't offer a defensive driving discount in Louisiana. Available discounts can change, though, and you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login anytime to review your latest discount opportunities.
Posted on 3/5/2012 at 12:26 PM by Progressive
@Douglas: We’ll ask for a copy of your current home insurance declarations page, a deed, a property tax bill, a mortgage coupon or a mortgage loan agreement. You can save even more if you purchase your homeowners insurance through Progressive Home Advantage. Call for a quote at 1-888-671-1132.
Posted on 3/6/2012 at 4:25 PM by Progressive
I have just bought a policy and its not letting me e sign and askin me to update the explorer. Is there any way i can do it without updating anything. Thanks
Posted on 4/2/2012 at 3:11 PM by Komail
<p>@Komail: We're sorry to hear you're having trouble. We'd be glad to help you over the phone. Please call us: 1-800-776-4737 at your convenience; we're here 24/7.</p>
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:42 PM by Progressive
In New Jersey, does progressive offer discounts if you're an employee of a specific company?
Posted on 4/5/2012 at 6:21 AM by Kenneth
@Kenneth: We offer many discounts in the state of New Jersey; unfortunately, none of them are based on your employer. To read about our discounts, visit http://pgrs.in/hCFkBT.
Posted on 4/11/2012 at 8:52 AM by Progressive
Does Progressive offer defensive driving courses discount in the state of Minnesota?
Posted on 4/25/2012 at 11:31 AM by Michael
I live in Nevada, where the good grade discount is allowed. I am in college and I was wondering if the discount comes from your cumaulative GPA or your GPA from that current semester.
Posted on 4/25/2012 at 6:06 PM by Makenzie
@Michael: We do offer a driving course discount in Minnesota. It applies to drivers 55 years of age or older who have completed a state-approved accident prevention course. Certificate of course completion is required to add the discount.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 8:59 AM by Progressive
@Makenzie: You can provide either one (cumulative GPA or current GPA).
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 11:18 AM by Progressive
Do you guys offer a defensive driving course discount in Delaware? If so to whom does it apply to?
Posted on 5/4/2012 at 12:10 AM by Vallery
@Vallery: Yes, we offer discounts for completing basic and advanced defensive driving courses in Delaware. These discounts would apply to any drivers listed on your policy. You can learn more about defensive driving courses in Delaware at delawareinsurance.gov/auto/defensive.shtml.
Posted on 5/7/2012 at 3:27 PM by Progressive
I just finish sunny day defensiva driving in el Paso TX do i qualify for a discount??
Posted on 5/7/2012 at 9:30 PM by Lilian
@Lilian: We don't yet offer a defensive driving course discount in Texas. You can see information about some our other discounts here: pgrs.in/hCFkBT.
Posted on 5/9/2012 at 9:09 AM by Progressive
Does progressive offer a defensive driver course discount in the state of New Hampshire? If so, what is the procedure to get this update this discount on my progressive insurance policies? Thanks, Ty
Posted on 5/14/2012 at 2:59 PM by Ty
@Ty: At this time we don't offer a defensive driving course discount in New Hampshire. To see a list of available discounts, log into your policy and go to the "Discounts and Programs" section.
Posted on 5/15/2012 at 9:48 AM by Progressive
Does progressive offer a defensive driving course discount in Georgia?
Posted on 5/30/2012 at 3:04 PM by Zach
Do you offer a defensive driving course discount in VA, and if so who does it apply to? Thank you!
Posted on 6/2/2012 at 4:24 PM by Sarah
Do you offer discount for new parent? I heard some insurance companies offer discount for parents who just had baby. Thank you!
Posted on 6/6/2012 at 2:41 PM by Monica
@Sarah: We do offer a Good Driver Discount in Georgia. For eligibility information, call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737, or visit the Discounts and Programs tab the next time you're logged into your policy.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 8:43 AM by Progressive
@Sarah: Currently, we offer a senior citizen/mature driver discount for customers who are 55 years of age or older, and have attended a state-approved accident prevention course.
Posted on 6/7/2012 at 9:03 AM by Progressive
@Monica: Congratulations on the new addition to your family! We don't offer a discount for this, but you can view other available discounts by visiting pgrs.in/hCFkBT.
Posted on 6/12/2012 at 1:38 PM by Progressive
Do you offer a discount for having a fire hydrant on my property? I live in RI.
Posted on 6/15/2012 at 5:53 PM by Nicole
how much does good grades affect cost?
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 12:22 PM by Bob
Regarding your Auto Loyalty Rewards. Specifically the Continuous Insurance Discount. It looks to be broken down into Silver, Gold, Platinum & Diamond discounts towards your premium. How does this discount work exactly? Is your premium reduced a specific monetary amount or a percentage for said levels of loyalty? Are the discounts different at each level of loyalty?
Posted on 6/25/2012 at 3:14 PM by Mike
@Bob: The exact amount of our Good Student Discount--as well as qualifications and availability--varies by state. If you qualify, we’ll include this discount in your auto quote.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 8:35 AM by Progressive
@Mike: With our Loyalty Rewards program, the longer you keep your policy, the more perks and discounts you earn. The Continuous Insurance Discount is a percentage and varies based on your loyalty level. Please note that this program is not available in all states right now. If you'd like more information, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 12:33 PM by Progressive
Do I get any discount in Auto Insurance if I take Renters insurance along with Auto (I am in NJ)?
Posted on 7/11/2012 at 3:43 PM by Sravan
Do I get any discount for higher Education (Masters) in NJ?
Posted on 7/11/2012 at 3:49 PM by Sravan
Does platinum level become diamond after a year? (I had it due to previous loyalty to another insurance company for 7+ years) The membership page does not specify, I do not know if the 3 years from another company become 4 with progressive after the first year...
Posted on 7/15/2012 at 4:58 PM by Steve
@Sravan: Absolutely! We offer a Multi Policy Discount if you have both your auto and renters policies with us.
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:35 PM by Progressive
<p>@Steve: Your membership level is determined by either the time you've been at Progressive or the time you spent with your most recent insurance company--whichever is greater. Please give us a call at 1-800-776-4737 to discuss your Loyalty Rewards in detail.</p>
Posted on 7/24/2012 at 4:53 PM by Progressive
@Sravan: Re: your question about education-related discounts ... we offer many discounts, which vary by state and policy type, so to see a full list of discounts that apply to you, you can start a quote here on our site. Or, if you’re already a customer, you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login and go to the Discounts and Programs tab.
Posted on 8/1/2012 at 12:44 PM by Progressive
I currently have a policy and am coming up on my third year, I am wondering if my rates will go down or if it will change after my 24th or 25th birth day or even because its been more than three years since my last not at fault accident?
Posted on 8/2/2012 at 4:11 AM by rox
@Rox: We don't offer a specific discount based on a driver's age, but it's true that premiums can go down when you reach your mid-20s. We'll review your policy at renewal and make any necessary adjustments.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 10:09 AM by Progressive
Do Alaska residents get discounts for defensive driving courses? What other discounts do Alaskans get? I talked to a customer service rep and was told snapshot is not available in my area. I'm also turning 25 this month and was wondering if I got a discount?
Posted on 8/14/2012 at 3:32 AM by Jesse U
Do you offer a discount on ONLINE Drivers education?
Posted on 8/15/2012 at 5:05 PM by Courtney Escorza
@Courtney: Yes, in some states where we offer a Defensive Driving Course Discount, you can take an online course. For more information, please call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 4:23 PM by Progressive
My son just completed Driver's Ed in school. Why is it still necessary for him to take a Defensive driving class?
Posted on 8/24/2012 at 4:57 PM by Marsha
@Marsha: In some states, we can only apply a discount when you take a credited defensive driving class. (Course material can be different between drivers education and defensive driving classes. Feel free to call us at 1-800-776-4737 for more information.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 10:01 AM by Progressive
Hi, I recently called to inquire about rate increase and was ablereally to save some money with the very helpful Progressive rep but felt a little guilty after hanging up. She asked my occupation and my highest level of education. I gave my ocupation but my education is complicated because its minor technical certificates. She asked if that was like trade/vocational and I replied "sort of". She was able to lower my rate very slightly. My question is what prevents people from calling and stating any education and/or ocupation and obatining a lower discount then honest people? How do you determine/prove they are correct. I almost feel like having her change it back since im an honest person.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 11:22 AM by Chris
@Chris: If you completed education and received a certificate related to a trade, then the education level is correct. Please don't worry about changing it. We trust our customers to give us correct information.
Posted on 9/11/2012 at 12:05 PM by Progressive
Hi, do you offer a discount if a policy holder takes a defensive driving course? This would be in Louisiana. Thanks.
Posted on 9/11/2012 at 9:40 PM by John Sherman
@John: We offer many discounts, which vary by state and policy type, so to see a full list of discounts that apply to you, you can start a quote here on our site. Or, if you’re already a customer, you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login and go to the Discounts and Programs tab.
Posted on 9/13/2012 at 4:34 PM by Progressive
Do you offer a discount for defensive driving course in Delaware?
Posted on 9/26/2012 at 10:41 AM by vikky
@Vikky: We offer many discounts, which vary by state and policy type, so to see a full list of discounts that apply to you, you can start a quote here on our site. Or, if you’re already a customer, you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login and go to the Discounts and Programs tab.
Posted on 10/1/2012 at 12:59 PM by Progressive
How much of a discount is given for enrolling in automatic payment deduction?
Posted on 10/13/2012 at 1:02 AM by Kee
@Kee: We base this discount on your premium, so the amount varies. If you already have a Progressive policy, just call us and we can tell you how much you'll save.
Posted on 10/15/2012 at 4:14 PM by Progressive
Hi, I am a student at uw. Unfortunately I did not do so well in my first year of school so my gpa is below 3.0. However prior to uw, I did running start and enrolled in a community college. I have a 3.8 from that school. how much consideration do you take for the discount? The uw system doesn't include the gpa from community college.
Posted on 11/19/2012 at 6:00 PM by Paula
I was stopped for going 13 miles over the speed limit in Florida. I live in New Hampshire with a policy with PROGRESSIVE. If I take the Florida state sponsed Basic Driving Improvement Course online will this give me a discount? If I don't will this cost me more on my policy?
Posted on 11/24/2012 at 2:42 PM by William Finnerty
@William: Sorry to hear about your recent ticket. Taking a Florida driving course will not reduce your rate. The only way to prevent the violation from affecting your premium is if you fight the ticket, and they not only remove the points, but remove the violation from your driving record altogether. To check other available discounts, log into your policy at progressive.com/login and clicking on the "Discounts and Programs" tab.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:25 PM by Progressive
I was wondering about education level. Right now it says "Currently in College" as my status. I graduated with my BS last April and am currently enrolled in graduate school. I was wondering, should I change/update my education level? If so, what would I change it to? ("College Degree", "Graduate Work or Graduate Degree", "Currently in College", ect...) Thanks for the help!
Posted on 12/4/2012 at 5:55 AM by Julie
Do you offer discounts for those in the nursing profession? I know many other companies offer this.
Posted on 12/10/2012 at 12:26 AM by Scott Bakalor
i will not be buying Insurance from you because you do not offer a discount for fire fighters, police or EMS but you do offer for military but the local emergency services protect you here at home
Posted on 12/11/2012 at 1:58 PM by nathan
@Julie: Congratulations on your degree! Yes, please update your education level. Since you're currently enrolled in graduate school, you'll choose "Graduate Work/Graduate Degree."
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 9:36 AM by Progressive
@Scott: While we don't offer a specific discount for people in the nursing profession, in most states we offer lower rates for people who possess higher education levels and/or who've obtained higher levels in their occupations. Nurses could qualify for both rating factors.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 9:42 AM by Progressive
@Nathan: In most states, your rate is based on your education and/or occupation. It's not, strictly speaking, a discount, but can positively affect your rate.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:02 AM by Progressive
I just got a ticket for not giving a right turn signal in Nebraska. I was turning right on a green light from a right only lane at 1 am in the morning with no cars on the road. Need your advise. Should I (a) Contest the ticket in court, (b) Take the driving class and have it eliminated, or (c) just pay the fine? Which one will protect my insurance rates from going up? Thanks
Posted on 12/26/2012 at 4:05 PM by AK
@AK: The ticket would most likely impact your rate at your next renewal. We'd be glad to look over your policy and discuss this further with you. Please call us at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 10:39 AM by Progressive
I'm attempting to update my education level for a discount but unable to find the "Graduate Work/Graduate Degree" section. I am in California if that matters.
Posted on 1/4/2013 at 12:30 PM by Phillip
@Phillip: Although we do use education as a rating factor (instead of a discount) in CA, you may be in a rating structure that doesn't support this option as yet. We've just recently added this for our CA customers. Why not check in with us for a policy review to see if anything else needs updated?
Posted on 1/10/2013 at 9:32 AM by Progressive
Please contact me as soon as possible
Posted on 1/25/2013 at 4:41 PM by Demetrous Shelton
Do you offer a discount for teachers in PA?
Posted on 2/4/2013 at 10:31 AM by Katie
Do you offer Defensive Driving Discounts for Texas? I have completed the course and have a copy to mail in, but found no information on your website on where or if I am able to send it. Thanks!
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 12:21 PM by Erin Bond
@Katie: We do consider occupation when we price policies in Pennsylvania. Give us a call at 1-855-266-8485 to update your occupation or get a quote.
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 12:43 PM by Progressive
You have a good student discount for full time students under 22 years old, but if the policy holder is under 22 and is a full time student with a high gpa they cant use the discount? Doesnt seem right... is this true?
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 11:32 PM by Trey
@Erin: At this time, we don't offer a discount in Texas if you've completed a driving course. You can view all available and applied discounts under the "Discounts and Programs" tab once you log into your policy.
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 10:00 AM by Progressive
Do you have to be a full time student to get the student discount? What do you consider full time?
Posted on 2/10/2013 at 3:05 PM by Megan
I just completed a defensive driver course through GSA and I live in Mississippi do I qualify for a discount
Posted on 2/11/2013 at 2:36 PM by Scotty
I just completed an 8 hour classroom instructed safe driving course. A TN law mandates insurance companies to offer a discount for suscessful completion of such courses. Your CSR said you do not offer such discounts. Please explain.
Posted on 2/11/2013 at 6:36 PM by Lorenzo
@Scotty: We offer many discounts, which vary by state and policy type, so to see a full list of discounts that apply to you, you can start a quote here on our site. Or, if you’re already a customer, you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login and go to the Discounts and Programs tab.
Posted on 2/13/2013 at 8:37 AM by Progressive
<p>@Lorenzo: Our business plan has been filed with and approved by the state of TN. The only discount we offer specifically for taking a defensive driver course is for drivers age 55 or older. We do offer Three Year Safe Driving and Five Year Accident Free discounts, which are applied automatically based on your driving record.</p>
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 2:53 PM by Progressive
@Megan: Our Good Student discount is available to students under the age of 23 who are currently covered under a parent's policy. And yes, they must be full-time students.
Posted on 2/14/2013 at 2:56 PM by Progressive
Thank you for your response to my question regarding driving courses and applied credits for drivers over 55. I am now confused. Please explain the difference between a safe driving course and a defensive driving course. It appears some one is splitting hairs in definition and credit application simply based on the term "safe" and "defensive" when both courses are sit down classroom instruction of a concentrated subject.
Posted on 2/19/2013 at 12:08 PM by Lorenzo
Do you offer a defensive driving discount for MN or ND residents?
Posted on 2/19/2013 at 3:34 PM by Molly
I recently changed insurance agents , when I got my bill I noticed it said I was a gold member. I called progressive and explained I had been with them sense 2004 with no claims or any laps of coverage. My bill for the year was $1070 ! After I got it straitened out they corrected it to a diamond membership. Can you tell me how much of a discount that will be???
Posted on 2/28/2013 at 6:19 PM by Justin Atkins
What discounts are available to New Hampshire residents through progressive?
Posted on 3/4/2013 at 10:36 AM by Kelsey
Does progressive offer a discount on insurance if individual has taken a defensive driving course. Policy held in Minnesota
Posted on 3/6/2013 at 6:53 PM by Hannah
Do you offer a discount for working at bass pro shops? My old insurance carrier did, I forgot the actual name of the discount!
Posted on 3/11/2013 at 1:56 PM by Lacy
Is the paid in full for 6 months or 12 months? Also is there a discount for working at AT&T uverse
Posted on 3/20/2013 at 6:50 AM by Will Hardwick
@Justin: We'd love to help but would need more information. Please call us at 1-855-266-8485, so we can look up your policy and answer your questions.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:28 PM by Progressive
@Kelsey, Hannah, Lacy and Will: We offer many discounts, which vary by state and policy type, so to see a full list of discounts that apply to you, you can start a quote here on our site. Or, if you’re already a customer, you can log into your policy at progressive.com/login and go to the Discounts and Programs tab.
Posted on 3/27/2013 at 2:58 PM by Progressive
I just got a speeding ticket in Idaho. It is an infraction and it is my first ticket ever. Will my insurance rate go up? Also, if I take a defensive driving course will it lower my rate?
Posted on 4/9/2013 at 8:35 PM by Michelle
are there discounts for safety features on new cars? im in the market for a new car and want to know what features i should look for?
Posted on 4/28/2013 at 12:34 AM by gabe