Arguably the best part of Halloween is the costumes. Sure, trick-or-treating is fun, and candy is delicious, but the opportunity to flex your creative muscles as you come up with the perfect costume can’t be beat. For those of us sharing our lives with mammals of the four-legged variety, the options are virtually endless.
To get your creative juices flowing, here are the top-five Halloween costumes for pets, in no particular order—pumpkin, hot dog, pirate, devil, and witch. If you’re looking for more ideas (or a laugh), both Buzzfeed and Mashable have compilations of the best costumes they’ve seen over the years. Pinterest is also a great resource for ideas.
Most stores that sell Halloween costumes for humans will have animal options as well, but it’s always a good idea to check out your local pet supply store first. If you’re pressed for time, Amazon has a large selection available to ship. For the slightly more unusual costumes, you can try places like Etsy. If you’re especially crafty, and want to make a homemade costume for your four-legged friend, you can find McCall’s patterns on Michaels’ website and lots of DIY ideas on sites like HGTV and I Heart Dogs.
Before you start imagining all the fun you and your pet will have, here are a few safety tips.
- First and foremost, make sure your furry friend is into wearing a costume.
- Next, before attending any events or dressing up on Halloween itself, try on the costume to make sure that it fits comfortably. This will help you ensure that the costume does not restrict their circulation or breathing and that it does not impair their vision.
- Avoid costumes with any small, hanging pieces as they can be a choking hazard and always supervise your animal while they’re wearing a costume, so that they don’t get tangled or become uncomfortable.
- If you plan on going out at night, the costume should be visible to pedestrians and cars.
- Finally, costumes can get hot, so limit the time your pet spends dressed up.
Last but not least, enjoy! And Happy Halloween!