Claims Survey Finds There's No Place Like Home - For Vehicle Crashes
It has been said that home is where the heart is. Well, according to a survey by Progressive Insurance, one of the largest auto insurance companies in the country, home is also where vehicle crashes are most likely to occur.
MAYFIELD VILLAGE, Ohio — May 6, 2002 —It has been said that home is where the heart is. Well, according to a survey by Progressive Insurance (NYSE: PGR), one of the largest auto insurance companies in the country, home is also where vehicle crashes are most likely to occur.
The survey found that 52 percent of reported crashes occurred five miles or less from home and a whopping 77 percent occurred fifteen miles or less from home.
This data is not typically gathered by law enforcement or insurance companies. As part of an ongoing claims satisfaction survey process, Progressive asked more than 11,000 people who reported a crash in 2001, how far from home they were when their accident occurred.
"Consumers may wonder why where they live is so important to an auto insurance company," said Alex Ho, consumer brand director, Progressive. "Most people drive most of their miles close to home and understanding the risks associated with where someone drives helps insurance companies develop more accurate rates."
Auto insurance companies examine claims their customers have had in a geographic area, along with other information, to help determine the cost of insurance. Companies typically consider factors such as how often crashes and thefts occur, and the cost of repairs and medical treatments in the area. Each company's claims experience can vary significantly, which is why the cost of auto insurance can vary widely from company to company.
"We want consumers to know exactly how their rates are determined so they can make more informed insurance decisions," said Ho.
Additional study findings:
- Twenty-three percent of reported accidents occurred within one mile of home.
- Accidents were more than twice as likely to take place one mile from home compared to 20 miles from home.
- Only one percent of reported accidents took place 50 miles from home.
- The region with the highest percentage of reported accidents occurring less than five miles from home was the Northeast, followed by the Midwest, West, Great Plains, Gulf, and Mid Atlantic.*
- The region with the highest percentage (21 percent) of reported accidents that occurred 21 miles or more from home was the Great Plains; the Northeast had the lowest percentage (14 percent).
- Accidents by distance from home:
- One mile or less 23 percent
- 2-5 miles 29 percent
- 6-10 miles 17 percent
- 11-15 miles 8 percent
- 16-20 miles 6 percent
- More than 20 miles 17 percent
The Progressive group of insurance companies ranks fourth in the nation for auto insurance. The Progressive companies provide drivers with competitive rates and 24-hour, in-person and online services by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVESM , online at progressive.com and through more than 30,000 independent agencies. The Progressive Corporation, the holding company, has headquarters in Mayfield Village, Ohio and is publicly traded at NYSE: PGR. More information can be found at progressive.com.