When Hail Damages Your Vehicle: Six Simple Steps To Getting Back On The Road
Last night's hail storm in central and south Tulsa caused widespread damage to cars and rooftops. If you've got damage to your car, paintless dent removal might be the answer to restoring your vehicle to its pre-accident condition.
TULSA, Okla. — April 6, 2005 —Last night's hail storm in central and south Tulsa caused widespread damage to cars and rooftops. If you've got damage to your car, paintless dent removal might be the answer to restoring your vehicle to its pre-accident condition.
“We know how important it is to get you and your vehicle back on the road quickly - that's what our 24/7, in-person claims service is all about. Understanding your repair options can help save time and money,” said Scott Snapp, catastrophe response director, The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies.
If your vehicle is damaged in a hailstorm, Progressive recommends that you take the following steps:
- Call your insurance company immediately to report the damage.
- Discuss your repair with your insurance company and your body shop. Hail damage to sheet metal may need to be hammered and painted. However, trained technicians may recommend paintless dent removal (PDR), which involves using specially-molded metal tools on the underside of a damaged part that won't disturb the factory finish. This method is often utilized by manufacturers and dealers to repair new vehicles and will not invalidate paint warranties. PDR cannot be performed if the dents are too large or if there are too many dents or if the paint finish is damaged. Prior body damage that required plastic fillers or bonding may also make PDR difficult. Your insurance company will be able to determine the severity of your damage and consult with you and the body shop on which repair method makes the most sense for your vehicle.
- Find a reputable facility. Save time and money by asking your insurance company if it has a preferred PDR provider. If you choose a repair shop on your own, contact the Better Business Bureau or get referrals from friends. Ask the shop how PDR works and how they access hard to reach places to make the repair. The preferred method is to pull the dents from the outside rather than drilling holes to access the dent from beneath the panel.
- Find out how long the repair will take. Paintless dent repair is an efficient and effective technique for repairing damage to your vehicle, and may be completed within a day. However, in Tulsa, lots of cars were damaged, so the work may take a little longer due to the volume of vehicles that need to be repaired.
- Make sure your vehicle is repaired to your satisfaction. Before accepting your vehicle, look at the surface in fluorescent lighting and from several angles so that you can see all the details. Check for any remaining dents before you take your vehicle home.
- Ask if the shop guarantees its work. If you notice a flaw in your vehicle's repair, you should be able to have it fixed at no additional charge. Know how your body shop will handle any problems you might have with your vehicle after the repair. Get guarantee and contact information in writing. Ask your insurance company if they also guarantee the work for their preferred body shops.
Taking these simple steps can help you get your vehicle repaired and get you back on the road. In addition, ensuring that you receive safe, high quality, cost effective repairs, keeps the cost of your claim down and can help to keep down the cost of auto insurance for all consumers.
The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies, in business since 1937, ranks third in the nation for auto insurance based on premiums written and provides drivers with competitive rates and 24/7, in-person and online service. The products and services of the Progressive Direct Group of Insurance Companies are marketed directly to consumers by phone at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE and online at progressivedirect.com through the Progressive DirectSM brand. The Drive Group of Progressive Insurance Companies offers insurance through more than 30,000 independent insurance agencies that market their products and services through the Drive Insurance from ProgressiveSM brand. For more information, go to driveinsurance.com.