Are Pets Covered in Car Accidents?

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 12/17/2007 at 1:00 PM

People often take their pets for car rides, whether it's a jaunt to the park or a trip to the vet, but what happens if you get into an accident and your pet is injured?

Pets

If the accident wasn't your fault, the other driver's insurance will most likely cover your pet with its property damage liability (PD) coverage. Under most insurance policies, your pet's injuries will only be covered if you were not at fault in the accident. Progressive takes pet injury coverage one step further and will cover your pet regardless of fault — more on that later.

It may seem insensitive to consider the four-legged members of your family as property, but insurance policies designate bodily injury coverage for humans only. All other damages in an accident — including your pet's injuries — are considered property damage.

The good news: Pets are indeed covered in accidents. However, specific restrictions apply with most insurance companies — namely that the at-fault person's insurance is liable for pet injuries. So, if you rear-end someone else and your pet is hurt in the process, your PD liability insurance will not cover harm to your pet.

The better news: Progressive offers Pet Injury coverage built into our Collision coverage, which means your pets are covered, even if an accident is your fault.

Pet Injury Coverage, Exclusively From Progressive

Progressive recognizes the importance of your pet, and we've taken extra measures to make sure injuries your dog or cat may sustain in an accident are covered —regardless of fault — with Pet Injury coverage.

If you have Collision coverage on your Progressive policy, up to $1,000 of our exclusive Pet Injury coverage is automatically included. No other insurance company offers this, and what makes this coverage unique is that it protects your pets in accidents, even if they're your fault.

If you can use your Collision coverage for your claim, you can use the built-in Pet Injury coverage for your pet, too.

There's no extra cost for this coverage, either. As long as you have Collision coverage on your Progressive policy, you have Pet Injury coverage. You can drive easier knowing that your pets are covered if they, too, are hurt in an accident.

To recap: With most companies, pets are covered under liability insurance. Keep in mind, though, that you cannot be at fault for the accident in these cases. Progressive takes an extra step to protect your pets — regardless of who's at fault — with our exclusive Pet Injury coverage, which is built into your Collision coverage at no extra cost. If you use Collision coverage for a covered accident, your pets are covered, too.

Comments

Do I carry, some type of paper work with policy about the 2 pets I have?
Posted on 10/29/2009 at 1:22 PM by Donna Shields
I don;t have a dog or cat but I do have an exotic (ferret)..... I'm assuming he wouldn;t be covered 'cause it (policy) only mentions dogs and cats??? Maybe Progressive could become even a little more progressive and include other pets soon?
Posted on 2/28/2010 at 11:43 PM by Margaret Bucelli
why are these different? "If you have Collision coverage on your Progressive policy, up to $500 of our exclusive Pet Injury coverage is automatically included." AND "That's why we offer up to $1,000 of coverage for your dog or cat if they're injured or worse when you're in a car accident, or during a fire or theft." Is it $500 or $1000?
Posted on 3/11/2010 at 4:38 PM by Tim
@Tim Thanks for your question. Progressive currently offers up to $1,000 of pet injury coverage. We increased the amount of coverage after this blog post was published in 2007, so that’s why there’s a discrepancy in the numbers. I've updated the figure in the blog post.
Posted on 3/15/2010 at 3:36 PM by Brittany R.
I am a corporate trainer with another major insurance company BUT I have insurance through Progressive BECAUSE of the pet injury coverage, as my company has not rolled that out to Texas yet! Thanks! My two boxers are my kids and I want them cared for as best as possible!
Posted on 3/24/2010 at 2:13 PM by RayAnn M
I have coverage on my horse trailer. If it is involved in an accident are the horses also covered under the 'pet policy'?
Posted on 3/26/2010 at 10:01 AM by Gail Boe
@RayAnn M, we're glad you chose us to cover you and your boxers!
Posted on 3/31/2010 at 8:20 AM by Brittany R.
@Gail Boe, Currently, Pet Injury coverage applies only to dogs and cats. We checked into coverages available with Travel Trailer policies (which cover only certain types of horse trailers that include Living Quarters), and right now, coverage doesn't extend to horses that ride in the trailer. If you have any questions, please call us at 800.776.4737 and we'd be happy to discuss further.
Posted on 4/1/2010 at 9:38 AM by Brittany R.
does the pet insurance coverage extentend if you back over your cat and injure it's hip?
Posted on 5/4/2010 at 11:34 PM by Jadeallen
Does that cover $1000/pet or $1000 total for all the pets riding with you?
Posted on 6/5/2010 at 12:58 PM by Robert
@Robert, thanks for your question. Pet Injury coverage provides $1,000 of protection total for all dogs and cats riding with you.
Posted on 6/7/2010 at 12:52 PM by Brittany R.
@Jadeallen, We’re so sorry to hear about your cat’s injury. Unfortunately, based on what you told us, the vet bills wouldn’t be covered by Pet Injury coverage, since your cat was outside of your car when the injury happened.
Posted on 6/9/2010 at 1:31 PM by Brittany R.
So does the dog or cat have to be restrained by harness or crate in order to be covered by the Pet Injury Coverage? I have a boston Terrier that always goes everywhere with me, but he gets in and lays down and doesn't move until we get wherever we are going.
Posted on 6/14/2010 at 8:11 PM by Krystal Travis
<p>@Krystal, Thanks for your question, and no, your dog or cat does not need to be restrained for Pet Injury coverage to apply. However, for everyone's safety, we recommend securing your pet using a common restraint like a crate or harness while you're driving.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Posted on 6/16/2010 at 1:52 PM by Brittany R.
Does the pet policy cover ferrets? Our ferrets always travel with us (in a cage secured inside the car or truck).
Posted on 6/23/2010 at 8:27 AM by Sandra
@Sandra, Thanks for your question. We know people care for a lot of different kinds of pets, but we’ve limited Pet Injury coverage to the most commonly owned ones--dogs and cats--which we believe are also most likely to be transported in a car or RV.
Posted on 6/23/2010 at 2:13 PM by Brittany R.
My dog tore his ACL going down the steps of our motorhome. His injury required surgery. Is that covered? The surgery was $2700.
Posted on 6/23/2010 at 6:23 PM by James W.
@James, We're very sorry to hear about your dog's injury. Unfortunately, his medical bills wouldn't be paid for by Pet Injury coverage. This only covers injuries that happen to your pet when you're in a car accident, or during a fire or theft.
Posted on 6/25/2010 at 7:12 AM by Brittany R.
Do we have to register our pet with progressive for the complimentary benefits?
Posted on 8/1/2010 at 6:42 PM by Joane Perkins
@Joane, No. All pets that live with you are covered automatically, as long as you have Collision coverage (in most states).
Posted on 8/3/2010 at 2:21 PM by Brittany R.
I backed over our house pet while leaving my home. Is this covered?
Posted on 8/26/2010 at 2:55 PM by Susan Louzon
@Susan, We hope your pet is Ok. Unfortunately, Pet Injury coverage won't pay for vet bills in this situation, since your pet wasn't inside your car.
Posted on 8/26/2010 at 4:59 PM by Brittany R.
I was taking my cat to the vet and she jumped out the window while the car was in motion and was hurt pretty bad and is going to need a $700 surgery. Is she covered under the Pet Insurance?
Posted on 9/3/2010 at 7:48 PM by kelley
@Kelley, I’m sorry to hear about your cat. Unfortunately, her vet bills wouldn’t be covered by Pet Injury coverage in this case, since she jumped out the window. Pet Injury coverage only applies in incidents like car accidents that are covered by your Comprehensive/Collision coverage.Log in to your policy for more about Pet Injury coverage.
Posted on 9/15/2010 at 1:49 PM by Brittany R.
I have my boat insurance thro you, and we were fishing on the boat, and our dog ate the hook, and had to have surgery. Is it covered?
Posted on 10/5/2010 at 11:22 AM by laurie
@laurie, Unfortunately, your dog's surgery wouldn't be covered by Pet Injury coverage. It only applies in situations when you'd use your Comprehensive/Collision coverage, too, like in a crash or a fire.
Posted on 10/7/2010 at 4:27 PM by Brittany R.
I am so glad that Progressive has this pet insurance! This is the main reason I have stuck with Progressive. I feel much more at ease when I travel with my dog. I also have renter's insurance with Progressive. Is there anything in my renter's insurance policy that will cover my dog if something happens to her while at home?
Posted on 11/11/2010 at 12:12 PM by Stephanie
If you are in an accident where you are not at fault and the other person does not carry insurance or their insurance company will not cover my pet, will Progressive cover injuries to my pet?
Posted on 11/11/2010 at 12:17 PM by Stephanie
@Stephanie, Thanks for both of your questions. 1. Here's a blog post about how property insurance covers your pets: https://www.progressive.com/understanding-insurance/entries/2009/9/1/how_does_home_insur.aspx. 2. Yes, we most likely would cover your pet's injuries in the situation you described. In general, anytime you use your Collision coverage--and you probably would in this situation--we also pay vet bills up to $1,000, if your pet is injured in the accident.
Posted on 11/22/2010 at 12:44 PM by Brittany R.
It's amazing the questions people ask about pet insurance, first of all all pets should be restrained in a car. I work for a vet and I see people every day with dogs on thier laps while driving, cats on dashboards ect. What are they thinking? My dog goes with me everywhere always in his seat belt. and the 5lb yorkie is in a carrier the has loops to put the seatbelt through. If they are like your children why wouldn't you take the same precautions as you would with your child. It's sad to think people don't think when it comes to traveling with thier pets. Buckle up out there, it saves your pets life too!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on 11/30/2010 at 12:38 AM by aprillynn mcmanus
Thank you Progressive for the pet coverage. I rarely travel with my two cats, Zack and Zoe; however, in case I do, it's reassuring to know that should an accident happen, their little lives are protected!!
Posted on 12/6/2010 at 11:11 AM by Billie McMellon
If you are driving down the road and someones dog runs infront of your car and you hit it, will the pet coverage cover vet visits for them?
Posted on 12/15/2010 at 4:24 AM by Melissa
I am currently looking into obtaining a miniature pet pig and would like to know if progressive has any plans to expand their pet protection plan to include such animal.
Posted on 1/5/2011 at 10:29 AM by Raysa Hansard
My dog rides with me in a side car attached to my motorcycle. The bike and side car are for recreation only. Is my dog covered?
Posted on 4/5/2011 at 12:06 AM by Larry Ritchey
@Larry, Unfortunately, no. We don’t offer Pet Injury coverage on Progressive motorcycle policies at this time.
Posted on 4/8/2011 at 12:29 PM by Progressive
What if my pet is killed in the accident? Is this insurance for medical care only?
Posted on 4/18/2011 at 4:34 PM by Debby McConahy
@Debby, Yes, our Pet Injury coverage does apply if your pet is killed in an accident.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 2:25 PM by Progressive
Can someone clarify the issue regarding policy coverage for indoor pets (e.g. dog, cat)? If someone has Premium Automotive Insurance (Full Coverage) and Renter's Insurance from Progressive, are pets covered from injuries sustained while inside the apartment covered in the Renter's policy? Since injury to pets, while inside the vehicle, in the auto policy is considered Property Damage, I assume the pet would also fall under the Property Damage coverage in the the Renter's Insurance policy. Can someone help me out here?
Posted on 8/14/2011 at 4:13 PM by whit
@Whit, They're not covered today, but thanks for the good suggestion.
Posted on 8/19/2011 at 7:28 AM by Progressive
Not sure about the dogs and cats but Progressive Home Advantage wouldn't even give me renters insurance because of my ferrets even though they have no attack history and are in a cage.
Posted on 1/27/2012 at 12:17 PM by Debra