@Progressive Blog

Can You Have Comprehensive Without Collision Coverage?

Posted by Allison Ruuska on 1/14/2008 at 1:00 PM

If you purchase comprehensive coverage, are you required to purchase collision coverage, too?

Many people have comprehensive and collision coverage on their auto insurance policies even though those coverages aren't required. Often referred to as "comp/coll," they protect your own vehicle in case of damage, regardless of fault. Though you often see them together, are you required to purchase both, or can you purchase comprehensive without collision?


While you are legally required to have at least the minimum limits of auto insurance for your state, minimum limits often only include liability coverage. However, if you finance a car purchase, lenders generally won't loan you the money without showing proof of insurance that includes comp/coll coverage. This requirement is a protective measure so neither you nor your leasing or finance company will have to foot the entire bill if your vehicle is damaged.

But what if you don't make payments on your vehicle? Can you purchase comprehensive coverage without collision coverage, or vice versa?

If you own your vehicle outright, you're only required to have what your state mandates for auto insurance. In most states, that's simply liability coverage. It's your choice, then, to purchase the optional coverages. In some cases you may be able to purchase comprehensive without collision.

Some insurance companies, like Progressive, will sell comprehensive only policies in certain situations. Typically, these policies are limited to vehicles that are not driven during the policy period, such as classic cars. Comprehensive only policies do not offer liability coverage and are often subject to strict rules.

Most insurance companies don't allow you to purchase collision without comprehensive coverage, however.

Should You Purchase One and Not the Other?

Often, comprehensive coverage has a much lower premium than collision coverage. Because of this, you may be tempted to choose only comprehensive coverage. However, before you make your decision, remember that comprehensive coverage pays for specific damage to your car that collision doesn't cover.

For example, comprehensive coverage will apply in the following situations:

  • Hail damages your car while you're driving home.
  • A deer runs into your car as you drive on a highway.
  • Your car is vandalized in the parking lot while you're shopping.
  • Your stereo is taken while you're at a friend's house.
  • Water damages your car after heavy rains.

Similarly, collision coverage applies to your vehicle in the following examples:

  • You rear-end someone.
  • You back into another car in a parking lot.
  • You run a red light and T-bone another car.
  • You swerve to miss a squirrel and hit a mailbox.

A simple way to remember comprehensive and collision coverage is that comprehensive protects you in situations that don't involve colliding with a nonliving object while collision protects you when you collide with another vehicle or object. Collision generally covers you in collisions with other cars or property; comprehensive generally covers you in accidents that don't involve other cars, such as animal hits, weather-related losses, and theft or vandalism.

So, while it's ultimately your option to choose both coverages or comprehensive only, you'll have greater protection for more circumstances if you choose both comprehensive and collision coverage.

If you're unsure what to choose, you can contact Progressive at any time for assistance. Quotes and assistance are available online 24/7, or you can call us at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE (1-800-776-4737) for round-the-clock answers to your questions.

The information in this blog may vary based on your particular state or situation. Always refer to your insurance policy for your specific coverages.

Tagged with:


hello, I just got a hit and run for the 3rd time in 2 years. My car is damaged and I would like to get it fixed. Will progressive cover this or will I get cancelled?
Posted on 3/3/2011 at 6:15 PM by Shawnee Braufman
@Shawnee, We're sorry to hear about your situation and hope you're Ok. Generally, as long as you have Collision coverage, we'll help pay for repairs, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. But, please call us (1-800-776-4737) so we can find out what happened and tell you how your coverage would apply.
Posted on 3/7/2011 at 12:38 PM by Progressive
I was involved in a hit and run. After I was hit I damaged a guardrail...will you guys take care of this?
Posted on 5/10/2011 at 4:48 PM by Dee
@Dee, Please call us (1-800-776-4737), so we can find out more about the accident and explain how you might use your coverage.
Posted on 5/17/2011 at 2:27 PM by Progressive
Can you have collision coverage without comprehensive coverage?
Posted on 5/29/2011 at 4:45 PM by Amanda
I was at a friends and I came out to my car to find big rocks smashed up against the rear bumper. Once I moved them out of the way and started to pull forward I heard some noises and stopped right away. Whoever had done this also put rocks under the car. Is this comprehensive?
Posted on 6/6/2011 at 6:47 PM by Chad
@Chad, Based on the details you've shared with us, your Collision coverage would apply. Please report the damage online (http://www.progressive.com/claims/claims-login.aspx) or call us (1-800-776-4737), so we can start your claim.
Posted on 6/13/2011 at 9:43 AM by Progressive
someone backed into my car while i was shopping, and left. will i have to pay the deductable for a hit and run? i have full coverage insurance.
Posted on 7/13/2011 at 6:48 PM by Samantha
<p>@Samantha, Your Collision coverage would apply in this situation, and yes, you'd pay your deductible. If you don't have Collision, you could also use Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage.</p>
Posted on 8/11/2011 at 9:10 AM by Progressive
If you allowed someone, not named as a driver, use your car and they are in a hit and run accident is my car still covered?
Posted on 8/19/2011 at 3:21 AM by LaKeisha
I was shopping at a store when I got to my car, it appeared that someone hit my driver's side mirror and it is now hanging on the side. do I have to meet my deductible before my insurance pays for it
Posted on 10/5/2011 at 6:34 PM by meagan v.
@meagan - This type of incident would be considered a hit and run. Coverage for hit and run incidents vary by states so you would need to review the terms of your policy to determine how it would be covered. In some states, it would covered under Collision and subject to your collision deductible. In other states, it would be covered under Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage which may or may not have a deductible.
Posted on 10/24/2011 at 10:24 AM by Progressive
I hit a deer coming home from work, do I have to pay a deductable to get my radiator fixed? I have full coverage
Posted on 11/15/2011 at 8:35 AM by Alisha Schuman
I have full coverage on my financed car, I'm on the military won't be driving for the Next month the car will be parked , is it possible to switch to comprehensive for that month then swith back to full coverage....... And if so will my car be towed for not having full coverage on a financed car?
Posted on 11/26/2011 at 9:46 AM by cj
was in a hit and run while i was away from my car, naturally the stores around either didnt have a camera or "they do not record" . im not sure if i have collision or comprehensive coverage, i do know that i have "full" coverage. what to do now? no police report was made. maybe i should have? not sure but my back driver side light is busted and my back bumber is seperated on that side and dented. what to do now. I DON T WANT MY RATES TO GO UP, thats very unfair. is it not?
Posted on 12/1/2011 at 2:35 PM by latasha enoch
@Alisha: Yes, you’d be responsible for the deductible you chose when you bought your coverage. Your insurer covers the rest. If the repairs cost less than your deductible, however (e.g., the repair estimate is $400 and your deductible is $500), then you would pay for the cost of the repairs only.
Posted on 12/19/2011 at 12:00 PM by Progressive
@CJ: Your financed car must always carry both comprehensive and collision coverage. If you were to remove collision, the finance company can place this coverage on you. Additionally, each state requires liability coverage for vehicles with an active registration. While we do offer storage coverage, situations requiring storage coverage usually involve more than 30 days of nonuse. In some states, yes, you can be towed if you do not have liability coverage.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 9:49 AM by Progressive
@Latasha: We're sorry to hear that. It's always helpful to get a police report in the event of a claim. The term "full coverage" is not an actual coverage term we use as it can mean different things to different insurance companies. Generally, full coverage consists of comprehensive and collision coverage. We would be happy to review your coverages with you, and go over your next steps. To have us do so, please call us at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 12/20/2011 at 9:54 AM by Progressive
I was rear ended a few days ago and I have Comprhensive, Collision and Liability on my car due to it being financed. The other insurance is cooperating with accepting full liability for the damages but when I advised them that I am felling pain they advised that I needed to contact you to submit a claim. I am a little hesistant as I do not want my preimum to go up as I was NOT at fault. I wanted to know if I had to pay my deductible and if you'd be responsible for my medical expense. Also, would I get in trouble for not advising you of the incident. Again I am worried to have my premium go up for something I am not at fault for. I live in Florida if that helps. I appreciate your answer.
Posted on 12/31/2011 at 6:25 PM by KJ
@KJ: We're sorry to hear you were in an accident. In the event of any claim, we don't adjust your premium midterm. However, depending on the fault, it could affect your rate. Generally when a claim is filed with one company, the other is contacted, too, and they work together to determine who pays for which damages. In Florida, depending on the injury, your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) would pay out. We would be happy to go over your coverages with you. To have us do so, please contact our Claims Department directly at 1-800-274-4499.
Posted on 1/4/2012 at 3:56 PM by Progressive
if a deer runs into you while driving, do you have a lower deductible for that when you have full coverage insurance?
Posted on 1/10/2012 at 3:55 PM by kelsey
@Kelsey: If you collide with an animal, this would be considered a comprehensive claim. The deductible you have for your comprehensive coverage would apply.
Posted on 1/12/2012 at 7:56 AM by Progressive
What type of insurance so you have to have to cover a windshield replacement that was broken by a rock while driving on the interstate?
Posted on 1/30/2012 at 3:20 AM by Lisa
@Lisa: Glass damage would be covered under comprehensive coverage. Generally when the windshield needs to be replaced, your comprehensive deductible would apply. If it needs to be repaired, the deductible would be waived.
Posted on 1/31/2012 at 10:21 AM by Progressive
I had a hit and run accident, the damage to my vehicle was substantial. The driver door is jammed shut and my car will no longer go in reverse. The other driver abandoned his vehicle and we cannot locate insurance on it. I'm sure my car will be totaled out and it was paid for free and clear. We have UMPD, will progressive pay the current KBB value of my vehicle or the 10K limit?
Posted on 3/5/2012 at 12:41 PM by Reece
@Reece: We're sorry to hear about your accident. Please call us at 1-800-776-4737 to speak with the claims adjuster, who can explain how your coverage applies and how we determine the value of the vehicle.
Posted on 3/6/2012 at 4:23 PM by Progressive
hi, i got hit by a vehicle at the rear end and the driver disappered immediately,i made a police report immediately. i was not the one driving but was in the vehicle as at that time. i have liability insurance, does the insurance pays for this
Posted on 3/31/2012 at 5:09 PM by mimi
@Mimi: Liability by itself won't cover repairs in a situation like this. However, if you have uninsured/underinsured property damage coverage, you may be able to file a claim. All claims are subject to the approval of the adjuster/claims department.
Posted on 4/4/2012 at 2:39 PM by Progressive
Why would insurance premium go up because another car went on reverse and hit me while I wasn't even moving? It was not my fault and the other driver admitted that it was solely his fault. Why would my premium increase?
Posted on 4/26/2012 at 1:04 AM by OC
@OC: The frequency of accidents, regardless of fault, helps us to determine the overall risk in your area. All incidents can impact the premium. Please feel free to contact us at 1-800-776-4737 to discuss your concerns.
Posted on 5/1/2012 at 11:22 AM by Progressive
When I went to Walmart and came back after 30 mins.....i got a dent on the passenger side just in front of the door and I don't know who did it....I have a liability and uninsured motorist coverage and I live in Missouri..so can progressive pay for the damage??
Posted on 5/8/2012 at 1:14 AM by chandra
@Chandra: Generally, a hit-and-run is covered under your uninsured motorist property damage coverage. For more information about this, please call our Claims Department anytime at 1-800-274-4499.
Posted on 5/9/2012 at 9:09 AM by Progressive
I am curious why other insurance companies consider hitting a deer "An act of God" and don't make the person pay the deductible. But, for Progressive you have to pay the deductible. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Posted on 5/22/2012 at 3:57 PM by Jodi
@Jodi: Hitting any animal is considered a comprehensive claim, so what you've chosen as your comprehensive deductible is what you'd pay out of pocket. If you'd like, you can change your deductible; generally, this doesn't change your premium much. For more information, call us anytime at 1-800-776-4737.
Posted on 5/24/2012 at 9:42 AM by Progressive
My car was the subject of a hit and run, while parked in a parking lot. I live in California and have both collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist coverage. Which coverage is going to apply in my case?
Posted on 6/11/2012 at 6:04 PM by leah kisner
Im looking into getting insurance and i was looking into getting comprehensive. Comprehensive covers weather related so is that like ice, snow, hydropaining etc. Or is that collision.
Posted on 6/13/2012 at 1:53 PM by Dustin
Okk so today i was getting off on an exit in nj and a truck hit my right side rear end of my 06 acura tsx. All i saw it was a white truck that carries maybe furniture. Will progressive pay for my repairs? I have full coverage here in Nj? What is the process like? I really need my car fixed ASAP!!
Posted on 6/14/2012 at 1:21 AM by Orlando
@Leah: We're sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, we can't advise on coverage without first reviewing your policy. Please contact our Claims Department anytime at 1-800-274-4499.
Posted on 6/19/2012 at 2:52 PM by Progressive
@Dustin: Collision covers damage to a customer’s car when they hit, or are hit by, another vehicle or object, regardless of who’s at fault. Comprehensive covers damages to a customer’s car caused by something other than a collision, such as fire, theft, vandalism, hail or flooding. It also covers damage caused by hitting an animal.
Posted on 6/19/2012 at 4:16 PM by Progressive
@Orlando: We're sorry to hear about your accident and hope you're OK. You'll want to contact us at 1-800-776-4737 to speak with a claims adjuster about your vehicle repairs.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 9:47 AM by Progressive
@Srivastav: Since every claim is unique, you'll want to contact us at 1-800-776-4737 to speak with a claims adjuster about your situation.
Posted on 6/21/2012 at 10:10 AM by Progressive
What coverage would cover my hail damages, big crack in my windshield and dents all over my hood and window sills,( on brand new Lincoln mkz)
Posted on 7/4/2012 at 1:19 PM by Travis
@Travis: We're sorry to hear about the damage to your car. Glass damage, as well as damage caused by acts of nature like hail, is covered under Comprehensive. You can call us anytime at 1-800-274-4499 to report a claim.
Posted on 7/5/2012 at 12:43 PM by Progressive
my car was in a hit in run today i came out for my lunch break and the passanger side of my car was all dented and sractched and the door on that side will not open all the way i have full coverage i just don't know what to do and my rates just went down and i cant afford for them to shoot back up :c what dod i do ?
Posted on 7/6/2012 at 3:56 PM by danette
@Danette: If there's been damage to your vehicle, please contact our Claims department at 1-800-274-4499.
Posted on 7/10/2012 at 8:26 AM by Progressive
Had a friend who got into a hit and run with no information. Her insurance company couldnt help. So i'm wondering that if i was to get into a hit and run with no information or a police report, but have liablity. Will i be able to make a claim?
Posted on 7/30/2012 at 12:07 PM by Heather
My turn was not wide enough while driving into my property and hit the fence with my vehicle. The damage to my car could definitely be more than my deductible so it seems worth filing the claim, but I am worried that it will raise my rates.
Posted on 8/8/2012 at 1:44 PM by Uzziah
I have a small nick on windshield and every time I go to the car wash they want to replace the glass. They called and found out I have a $500 comprehensive deductible - can I change that to $100 and have it repaired before it gets bigger?
Posted on 8/23/2012 at 3:37 PM by Denise
If I was driving my baby's mother vehicle without her permission, and I was at fault and I didn't have any driver's license will her car be repaired if she had full coverage.
Posted on 9/3/2012 at 10:46 PM by Hoffman
I had auto insurance on one car then switched it over to another car that same day I was in an accident am I covered
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 3:22 PM by holly
i was in a wreck if it was my fault will my car be paid for. i have full coverage insurance
Posted on 9/19/2012 at 3:57 PM by tim
If my car is/was damaged beyond repair before adding additional insurance while in between shop visits can I use receipts to recover funds invested over the comprehensive10,000$ I am looking into increasing insurance after the project is complete opposed to making changes monthly and need to complare rates per coverage before committing. I drive the vehicle occasionally for a couple days just to smile then return it for work. Bluebook is around 20k and I have another 50k in it right now and probably 6 month to completion. -full retro restore
Posted on 9/24/2012 at 10:02 PM by david
If I was to allow my Mother (who is not listed as a driver on my policy) drive my car and she swirved to not hit a passing car that had swirved into her lane to avoid hitting a small animal, would I be covered? What if there wasn't a police report? I have both Comp and Collision coverage on my policy.
Posted on 9/27/2012 at 8:57 PM by Meli
my friends and i went to san francisco, my car was parked while we was touring around, we came back later on that evening and my mirror was broken, door and fender was dented in, i have full coverage comp/collison with no police report will progressive still take care of me and repair my car??
Posted on 10/2/2012 at 11:45 AM by mike
Do not file a claim with progressive. They raise your premium regardless of fault. If another driver hits your car while you are not moving, if they get the ticket, if their insurance company covers all damages, progressive still increase YOUR premium. It is not based on 'risk in your area' as I was hit out of state, where I used to live and no longer even visit. I am letting everyone I know about this unjust policy of Progressive and will be switching immediately!
Posted on 10/22/2012 at 9:31 PM by Marianne
I understand that if a deer runs in front of my car and I hit it, the damage is covered under comprehensive, with whatever deductible applies. Is this then considered an at-fault accident and will my rates go up when my policy renews?
Posted on 11/15/2012 at 4:44 PM by Tim
i have full covarage my car was vandalism some people do broke the windowns glass and do something in the motor i guess but the progresive take the car almost at month now they say is something electrical so why they dont giving my car back yett i need for work i call everyday and they dont answer the true if my car is re[air yet or not
Posted on 11/17/2012 at 7:55 PM by lili
@Tim: Comprehensive coverage applies if your car is damaged by fire, theft, vandalism, weather or a collision with an animal (like a deer), and it covers windshield damage. Depending on your state, Progressive might not charge points for comprehensive claims; however, all incidents, regardless of fault, can affect your rate.
Posted on 11/28/2012 at 3:43 PM by Progressive
Hi I purchased motorcycle insurance through you guys and clicked financed and assumed that it automatically went to full coverage like every other insurance company that I had looked in did when I was shopping around just to find out when my motorcycle was stolen that you wouldn't cover me.... Aren't you guys required by law to auto select full coverage unless the person denies that coverage?
Posted on 11/29/2012 at 7:09 PM by robert
i was in an accident today can I purchase your insurance today and still be covered
Posted on 11/30/2012 at 2:58 PM by sheila schilling
If I hit something a stair wall/drainage pipe at a curb while swarving from a U turn how would my coverage apply? I have comprehensive coverage, also; would other coverage e.g. LIability, uninsured motorist apply? I have been a good driver with progresive for 9 years now. Am in California
Posted on 12/7/2012 at 4:09 AM by Carolyn
@Sheila: You can purchase insurance; however, the accident would not be covered since it took place before you were insured.
Posted on 12/17/2012 at 3:05 PM by Progressive
@Robert: We're sorry to hear your motorcycle was stolen, and that we confused you when you quoted. Since Progressive isn't legally required to automatically package coverages on motorcycle policies, we offer people a choice of packages. To review your coverages, please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.
Posted on 12/18/2012 at 10:30 AM by Progressive
My 2013 Jeep was hit by something in a parking lot, no idea who did it or what did it? I have comprehensive and liability as its a brand new financed vehicle. Will my premium be affected for this claim?
Posted on 1/2/2013 at 4:05 PM by Daryl
Just curious when reading these to make my choice on the insurance company I choose. I see 3 or people ask the same question and they never get an answer. So I'm going to try.... If you let someone drive your vehicle that's I'd not listed as a driver on your insurance card drive your vehicle and during that time they are involved on an accident would the vehicle still be covered under the policy? Iknpw some insurance say certain people can't drive your the vehicle but in this case the name isn't there either.
Posted on 2/7/2013 at 8:32 AM by Blondee
My best friend's fiance' got mad at her and kicked horrible dents into her fender and doors. She has comprehensive and collision insurance through you, with a $500 deductible. Would she be able to file a claim to get her car fixed? Would she need any documents? She doesn't want to file a police report on him, just because his temper got the best of him...
Posted on 2/26/2013 at 8:54 PM by Lea
My car was parked on the street in front of my house and some sideswiped the side of the car, will the insurance cover it and with the monthly insurance increase?
Posted on 3/7/2013 at 4:49 PM by hussein
Can you have collision coverage only?
Posted on 3/21/2013 at 4:59 PM by Steven
@Steven: Most states require that you carry bodily injury and property damage liability to drive legally. Also, comprehensive is usually required in order to carry collision coverage.
Posted on 4/10/2013 at 1:41 PM by Progressive

Post a Comment

Log In


Need help logging in?

New user? Register for an account