Researching new cars? Here’s a must-read for you

Posted by Brittany Ritchey on 12/4/2012 at 7:00 AM

10 hours. That’s how long (on average) people spend doing research before buying a new car, according to a study conducted by Harris Interactive.

Save some time by reading our quick-reference guide to:

How does my car affect my insurance rate?

While you probably won’t choose a car solely based on how much it costs to insure, knowing this might help you make the final call.

(Tip: Use our Cost to Insure calculator, available on our mobile site and app, to compare vehicles and see which is least expensive to insure.)

how your car affects your insurance rate

What a useless mish mash. Putting something out like that?? Totally incomprehensible. Send the originator to detention for a week
Posted on 2/5/2013 at 7:54 AM by DW
Interesting. We replaces a 2006 Hyundai Sonata (2.4L GLS) in June of 2011. Full coverage on that car, with Farmers, was about $360 a half. We traded it for a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8L V6 (333 hp), and our insurance premium DROPPED to $240 a half.
Posted on 2/6/2013 at 4:13 PM by Quantum Rift
Well, big deal. We spend $25,000 for a Genesis (or thereabout) and then consider saving $240 on insurance for a year! Leave off the sunroof, or whatever, and come out better.
Posted on 2/8/2013 at 10:29 AM by Don Lindsey
Your ins. agent can look up what "symbol" for the model of car your considering to buy. The higher this symbol number, the higher the cost to insure that vehicle. Your rate is also determined on where you live. Some towns/counties have higher accident incidents. Obviously, your driving history such as at fault accidents and moving violations is a determinent. How far back they go varies from state to state.
Posted on 2/9/2013 at 4:44 AM by AW
A few years ago I moved from the Denver CO area, to a small town in the middle of no-where TX. I thought my insurance rates on the same vehicle would drop way down....They actually ended up going higher. I don't understand how/why it costs more in an area with very little traffic and risk, when compared to a city with millions of folks (where a lot of them were a "Mile High" and I'm not talking about altitude.
Posted on 2/23/2013 at 11:11 AM by Gasser
Pretty dumb, I traded a 2012 4Runner Limited for a 2012 Camry and my rate went up $120 for 6 months. Seems kinda stupid to be paying more on insurance for a car that cost half as much as my previous one.
Posted on 2/25/2013 at 9:42 AM by Chris
<p> @Gasser: With all the different factors that can affect your rate, we&#39;d like to review your old and new policies to make sure everything we have is accurate. Please give us a call at 1-855-266-8485.</p>
Posted on 2/27/2013 at 3:09 PM by Progressive