Update on the Kaitlynn Fisher Case

Posted by Progressive _ on 8/16/2012 at 10:45 AM

For the past week, Progressive has been in active settlement discussions with the family of Kaitlynn Fisher. Though there was considerable public interest in this case and we know many of you saw mentions of it on social media and news outlets, we also believed it was inappropriate to share further details while those discussions were ongoing. As of this morning, an agreement has been reached with the Fisher family to settle the claim. Prior to that, we were cautious with our responses, but now that the agreement has been reached, we’d like to further clarify Progressive’s role in the trial.

Ms. Fisher held a policy with Progressive that included Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, which protects drivers in the event they’re struck by an at-fault driver who’s either uninsured or doesn’t have enough coverage.

Under Maryland law, in order to receive the benefits of an underinsured driver claim, the other driver must be at fault. Sometimes this can be proven without the need for a trial, but in Ms. Fisher’s case, there were credible conflicting eyewitness accounts as to who was at fault.

A trial was necessary so that a jury could review all of the evidence and come to a decision. In those circumstances, under Maryland law, the insurance company providing the Underinsured Motorist coverage is considered a defendant. As a defendant in this case, Progressive participated in the trial procedures on our own behalf while Nationwide represented the other driver.

On Thursday, August 9, a jury determined that the other driver was at fault in the accident involving Ms. Fisher. In accordance with that decision, Progressive worked with the Fisher family and their legal representative to resolve the claim.

This was a tragic accident and our sympathies go out to the Fisher family.

Comments

"Progressive participated in the trial procedures on our own behalf while Nationwide represented the other driver." On your own behalf so you wouldn't have to pay.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:06 AM by Ashamed
Closure. Thanks Flo!
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:07 AM by Devin
It is always very unfortunate when a death occurs. I am glad that Ms. Fisher's family has won the case, mainly because the stress of going to court is over. Best wishes goes to the Fisher family for their loss.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:12 AM by Zach
So you're saying that Progressive participated in the trial "on our own behalf" to argue against your own policyholder? This is the polar opposite of good customer service.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:27 AM by Matt
So you do not deny that in the trial your lawyer argued that Ms. Fisher, your client, was responsible for the accident? While not technically defending the other driver, that is in my opinion a de facto defense of the driver that caused the accident leading to Ms. Fisher's, your client's, death. I could possibly understand everything you did up until that point, but not that. And people wonder why insurance companies are hated.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:30 AM by Steve
You people sat with the defendant at the trial!? How low can you go? I hope each and everyone of you who defend your companies actions rot in hell. What you might be doing is legal. But it is morally corrupt.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:32 AM by Joe
You guys participated in the case "..on our own behalf"?! So basically, when the rubber met the road, you jumped ship from your insured client (Ms. Fisher) and fought as hard as you could so that her grieving family wouldn't see a dime for something she paid into! You guys should be ashamed! All this over $75,000?! That was probably less than your court fees. I hope everyone that reads this story dumps their coverage.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 11:57 AM by Kurt B.
You state that "there were credible conflicting eyewitness accounts as to who was at fault". If some curious person were to get ahold of court transcipts, would the transcripts bear that statement out? Just wondering...
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 12:06 PM by Brian
"...For the past week, Progressive has been in active settlement discussions with the family of Kaitlynn..." Really?! It's been more than a year since the accident, and after all you have put the family through you are now going to settle? WOW... Good luck... I hope that a measly $75,000.00 was worth all this negative attention. Hopefully, all the geniuses at Progressive are getting their money's worth... FWIW I will share this story with EVERYONE I know and talk to. I'm sure many others will as well.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 12:07 PM by Will never buy Progressive
It's interesting that Nationwide didn't seem to have any problem determining who was at fault without a trial.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 12:12 PM by Matthew Weigel
Don't pretend you care about the family. Just come out and say it was all about the dollar signs. Unless the tragic accident you refer to was providing legal council to the defendant.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 12:19 PM by Justin
I hope that trying not to pay out $75,000 for coverage that she had, that was already ruled that the other driver was at fault was worth losing customers! I don't have progressive nor will I ever and make sure everybody I know about progressive and what you all stand for!
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 12:58 PM by Jeff Cox
Your last post clearly came up quite short, so this time, you've brought out the big guns. An Ivy League attorney, perhaps? Someone who can articulately tap-dance. At the heart of this issue, which you clearly fail to recognize, you of Ivy League Law descent, isn't whether your actions were lawful or not. The State of Maryland didn't force you to dispute this claim - that was your call. Of course it was your right to drag this ordeal through the mud - no one disputes that. What you failed to do was to act civilly, responsibly, ethically, morally and perhaps most important and obvious at this point - you forgot to act in a way that would ingratiate you to your customers, current and future. Within minutes of your first post about this issue, it was already too late. Congrats, Ivy League attorney: you're now part of an infamous case study! Just like mom and dad always wanted.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:17 PM by Kevin McElroy
You all are only 'settling' with the Fisher family because the court found your defendant--the one that killed your original client--guilty. You're a joke.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:42 PM by Dusty Cole
You say above: "Under Maryland law, in order to receive the benefits of an underinsured driver claim, the other driver must be at fault." Mr Fisher says on his blog: "Progressive made a series of offers (never higher than 1/3 the amount they owe) and then let it go to a trial." If this is true, I would like to know why you were able to make these offers seemingly against Maryland law. It sounds like you are interested in hiding behind the law when it benefits you, and ignoring the law when it doesn't. - a former progressive customer
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:45 PM by Former Progressive Customer
Did a full time or contracted Progressive attorney represent the guilty party duirng opening, closing, or cross examination?
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:45 PM by C Morgan
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:48 PM by Former Progressive Customer
As an observer, my biggest issue is not with what happened in court -- it's with the previous post here claiming that "to be very clear," Progressive was not the defendant's attorney. While that may be technically true, it's the worst kind of PR nonsense. Did you not think people would realize how incredibly d
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:49 PM by David
Nice try chap
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 1:49 PM by Geico
wow. this is another awfully disgusting pr move. get off your high horse and dont try to tell anyone what is inappropriate. youre the bloodsuckers who went to court to try not to pay. this is bs. progressive is bs and now the world is exposed to what heartless cowards this company is
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:16 PM by jose
What ever.... you guys sat with the defendant. Made opening statements and closing statements. Over 75k???? Wow, I'll Never use you guys as insurance.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:19 PM by Jim bob
Just another example of corporations realizing they cannot walk all over the people any longer. Social media/the internet gives us a powerful voice to express our approval (or disapproval) of business practices, and as long as it effects their bottom line, they'll care.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:20 PM by Michael
WOW.....having been with Progressive for 4 years, and having just renewed, come the next renewal period, I will seriously have to shop for another auto insurance carrier......this is ridiculous.....sorry Flo.....the commercials might be cute and all.....but if this is the way you treat your customers, is time to look elsewhere......have to make sure to post this to my G+ community, as am sure they would like to know how you treat your paying customer base.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:31 PM by Mark Dunton
Too little, too late.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:35 PM by Brian Paone
In Maryland, if you have any liability (even 1%), you can't recover any damages. Obviously there was a dispute in liability, which is why it went to a jury of peers to make the decision. It sounds like liability could not be resolved without a jury trial. Every state is different.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:43 PM by walsh
Don't buy insurance from Progressive. They will pretend to be on your side but will fight you in court to pay you NOTHING.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:46 PM by Dan
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:47 PM by Dan
Progressive commercials make them out to be kind and caring. From this terrible tragedy, it's clear that all they care about is collecting premiums. When it's time to pay a claim, they show their true side. Monsters.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 2:54 PM by Kevin Hall
Shame on you Progressive! Clear evidence that the guy ran a red light and you still fight it. So glad I left progressive years ago. $75,000 is nothing to you. You owe that family much more than that for putting them through such hardship during their tragedy. I hope your clients jump ship on you. No one needs an insurance company like you.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:06 PM by Jim Evans
By doubling down with the position you're taking after the fact, you've sealed your fate as an untrustworthy business. You would have had a far easier time of it by firing your staff that made this decision, tripling the actual payout as a peace offering and apologizing to the family. Instead, you jumped the shark. You deserve your fate and it will seem strange not seeing Flo on TV anymore.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:10 PM by Victor Miller
As a customer, this situation is very troubling. Basically I am paying a company that will abandon me (and my family) when they should be honoring their agreement. Clearly Progressive should have paid the claim when the police report found the fault to be with the other driver. Unfortunately they didn't pay and actually took it a step further by actually defending the negligent driver in court to get out of paying the claim. You are exactly why people do not trust insurance companies; you lack honor and integrity. I will now be exploring my options to cancel my Progressive insurance.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:13 PM by Rebecca
Funny thing is, they will go quiet and let this storm float on by, then slash some rates, popup a new marketing campaign and bring in new clients. BTW, a lot of people may have Progressive and not even know it. When you do something like a local insurance company or an Insurance Doctor, its just a cover for the bigger insurance companies. What a damn shame we are forced into a system that's unreliable and profit driven.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:37 PM by Critter Wyatt
Progressive should be subject to prosecution for conspiracy to commit fraud. This is a horrific incident. I will adamantly discourage everyone I know from getting insurance from Progressive. Shame on you.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:45 PM by Jeremy
Understanding consumers - you really don't get it! The dilemma in this case is not whether Maryland law permits you to take a position that is completely adverse to your own client - i.e., to sit at the Defendant's table alongside your client's killer and falsely allege that it was your own policyholder who was legally culpable, all in order to avoid your obligations under the policy. You may be perfectly entitled to take these actions in Maryland and, no doubt, you were meticulous and perfunctory in your approach to Maryland tort law. What you fail to appreciate is that this is an awful business practice that should cause each and every Progressive customer to cancel their policies. Why would anyone ever *contract* a company to obstruct his or her own interests? Notwithstanding the availability of such legal procedures, you would surely agree that Kaitlynn Fisher would have discontinued her policy with Progressive had she known that you would posthumously accuse her of negligence in defense of her killer? So, now that your immoral albeit pro-forma practices have been documented, how could any rational consumer hire Progressive contrary to their own interests?
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 3:45 PM by Not a Progressive customer (never will be)
I am not a Progressive customer and never will be now. Not only will Progressive have to payout in this case they have committed a major PR disaster. Who wants to bet this will have zero impact on the boards pay and bonuses?
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 4:06 PM by Matt in LA
This is directly from your core value mission statement. Golden Rule We respect all people, value the differences among them and deal with them in the way we want to be dealt with. This requires us to know ourselves and to try to understand others. Failed
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 4:27 PM by Progressive Core Value - Mission statement
Progressive, thank you for showing your true colors before I made a bad mistake and tried your company. Now for me "FLO IS A NO-GO". You CHEATED this family out of the insurance they paid for. You FORCED them to pay out the money they were due to pay for the legal fees that YOU made necessary. This money should have been to pay off her student loans and you PURLOINED it. I have an excellent memory and I will never FORGET or FORGIVE. I will make certain that I mention this to every person I can.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 4:46 PM by Jim Bradley
i wonder how often progressive (and other companies) do this and don't get the bad publicity for it that they deserve. awful, awful practice.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 4:53 PM by kate
If only you paid your PR and marketing people as much as your lawyers you wouldn't be dancing such a sorry two-step right now. Then again, if only you had paid the Fisher family..
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 5:07 PM by John G
Sorry Progressive, but the case is a matter of public record and you clearly represented the guilty driver.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 5:26 PM by FB
No one here even remotely considers this at fault driver and not carrying enough coverage...Lobby your state reps if you dont like the laws. Dont go around pointing fingers when drivers like the one found at fault by a jury of his/ her peers walks away with nothing other then a few days off work for trial. I think we know who the real criminal here is.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 5:33 PM by wow
YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT until a policy renewal TO CANCEL. I didn't wait and they refunded me the prorated balance that I had prepaid beyond the termination date. Mine was an auto policy in Texas that I had for 7-8 years. Check your policy & shop around. It's easy. The termination rules may be different by state or policy type. Don't assume you have to wait until a polity renewal date, because you may not need to. Terminations done now and in the very near future will have a greater impact and send a greater message.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 5:35 PM by Disturbed
My Progressive renewal notice arrived in the mail the same day this story hit the air. I am currently looking at coverage thru other companies. I cannot and will not support a company whose actions are so totally unscrupulous. Progressive has no shame. To actually send a representative from your company to sit at the defense table with Katie Fisher's killer is the height of insult for your policyholders.
Posted on 8/16/2012 at 6:08 PM by CBfromTX
Shameful behavior
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 5:13 AM by Thomas Marotta
You State... "a policy with Progressive that included Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage, which protects drivers in the event blah blah" But, that's not true is it. She didn't get the protection she'd paid for. You tried to weasle out of your obligations.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 5:22 AM by Mark Hendy
"Credible witness"? A person who wasn't able to give a statement for two months after the accident and happened to be in the car with the guy who caused the accident is credible. You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it mean.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 6:38 AM by Kevin Stevens
I got here b/c Seth Godin blogged about this story. Progressive, you now have the leader of the social media world telling his followers you stink. For years, you will be used as a textbook example of a PR disaster. Was it worth it?
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 6:38 AM by Weezyt
I decided to terminate my insurance with Progressive and move to the other coverage by the other company. This is just a horrible...
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 6:48 AM by ArSh
Disgusting...! Shame upon you Progressive.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:07 AM by FPreto
After realizing what Progressive did in this case and looking up the case record on the court website, I'm disgusted. Unless Progressive does something dramatic to come clean, apologize, and make things right with the family as well as institute changes so that I don't fear the same treatment, I'm an ex policy holder. I've been a customer for years. I can't tolerate this.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:10 AM by Richard Burbank
Just canceled my policy. Thanks Progressive.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:23 AM by noMoreProgressive
What an embarrasment! I am actively looking for a new insurance company and I would definitely pay more not to have progressive be my insurer.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:25 AM by Michael Pinter
I was once a progressive customer.. That is until I had a claim when an underinsured driver hit my car in my own driveway. You lied to me, lied to the sate of Connecticut insurance board, and worked almost illegally to force me to use one of your own auto body shops. It looks like things haven't improved, you're still putting profits ahead of your customers.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:31 AM by Ct Driver
You could still do what's right regardless of the benefits to your leadership and bottom line.... Consider going beyond the $75,000.00 payout. Cover the families legal fees, student loan obligations, and better yet establish a scholarship in Katies name. It's a small step/opportunity for you to turn the corner and start showing a bit of humility (but you have to really believe it and not just market it).
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:39 AM by Stillhope
It's unfortunate. I've been speaking with a local Progressive Agent for the last couple weeks about insuring myself, my family, house & cars. No more, as I now see how Progressive will treat my case if I get hit and killed by another driver. I'm looking forward to talking with a Nationwide Agent today.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:45 AM by James Tuttle
Dump Flo, get a gecko. Progressive gives insurance companies and lawyers a bad name. That's saying something.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:50 AM by Moe Rider
Policy canceled. Flo is a jerk!
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:51 AM by Dch
Guess we will be looking at Nationwide for insurance after we drop you. At least they pay their claims without having to go to court.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:56 AM by ScottHarris
This is shocking to me. For a mere $75,000 you have damaged your reputation in the marketplace significantly! You should have paid the $75K and been done with it. Progressive will surely lose much more financially in lost revenue from this bad press.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 7:56 AM by Hind Sight 20/20
We were considering Progressive as an alternative to our present insurer. After this fiasco of betrayal this isn't going to happen. Period.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:07 AM by Michael
So how many more tens of millions of adverting do you think you will have to spend to bury this 'public' attitude against the customer who pays the premium . I 'm sure money is no 'legal' obstacle here as is in 'your own behalf. ' Can't say I'll miss you when you're gone.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:21 AM by Robert J Charest
You must be very ashamed of how impersonal and selfish Progressive has appeared with all of the attention due to this story. I am disgusted with Progressive and I am taking my home & car insurance accounts elsewhere. The last thing my family needs in the event of a tragic accident is a weaseling insurance company going to court against us so they do not have to pay. Its not like it was over millions and millions of dollars either. I hope all of the media attention was worth the opportunity to save $75,000. What a slap in the face to the family suffering from the tragedy. Absolutely ridiculous, I am urging all current policyholders that I know to abandon Progressive and seek new coverage from companies that wont screw you over.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:38 AM by Fred
Shame on you for what you did. Even more shame for having done it to a grieving family.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:40 AM by David Gardner
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:42 AM by Fred
How sad that Progressive has to be publicly flogged in the media before they honor their own contracts. I hope this is a warning to everyone who uses their "services".
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:48 AM by Betty Sue
Unconscionable behavior - I am forwarding this to all my friends to make sure they NEVER use Progressive.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 8:59 AM by Frank Kelly
Despicable. You should be representing your client, not fighting against them. What if one of your employees or family members were involved in the accident? Your own parents? Would you fight against them as well? Is there no end to your depravity?
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:07 AM by Chris S
PATHETIC DOUBLE TALK!!!!!!
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:08 AM by Pat Norris
I will be canceling my policy next week and doing my part to encourage others to do the same. There is no excuse.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:08 AM by jp
Wow, Progressive, you've just taken the SUCK factor to a whole new level!!!! Let's hope the free market principle here come barreling at you with full force. I'm sure Ms. Fisher's incident isn't the only one in which you have behaved in this manner. I would think the proper course for your business would be to go bankrupt. Lawyers and trials to determine who are at fault are not needed for that. I'm sure glad I never bought insurance with ya. Have a nice day.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:09 AM by Burton
you, people who work at progressive, are a fine example of how not to run a company. i wonder if your actuaries factored in how much business you are now going to lose based on not displaying any morals. if i worked at progressive, i would resign out of sheer disgrace. how can humans treat each other so unkindly?
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:11 AM by jasontoheal
There is no way anyone who works for an organization like Progressive can go home at night, look at themselves in the mirror, and feel good about their lives. We spend the majority of our waking hours at work. Not with our friends, neighbors, and families, but at work. Is this how anyone wants to spend the majority of their life? Screwing innocent average people (out of what is duly owed them) to benefit a small group of executives and shareholders. Our Corporate Culture is MORALLY BANKRUPT. And, very soon people will have reached their limits with this kind of behavior. And criminal entities like Progressive will be literally bankrupt. You have lost a customer for life. I will never allow one cent of my money go to your company.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:13 AM by Andrew
Unbelievable.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:32 AM by GMFromOR
Hmmm, beter off not saying anything if you are going to stick your foot further in your mouth!
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:36 AM by Daniel Callahan
You can't erase the past. Your company acted poorly, and the ripple of effect of lost business (now, and in the future) will surely make you lose much more than this case was worth to you. I'm shocked that such a prominent company can act with so little foresight. My only guess is that the company is being run by people who can't comprehend the compounding influence of the internet.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:40 AM by T. V.
Not only would I never buy insurance from you (no matter how good your ads are) but I'll tell lots of others how sickening your behavior has been. Shame on you. Disgusting. Wake up.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:41 AM by juliet erickson
Cancelled my insurance and switched to a competing provider after reading this! Also, posted links to facebook - hopefully leading to more cancellations. Shameful!
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:44 AM by Justin
I expected better. Shame on me for believing your advertising.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:59 AM by Michael Hurley
Lame.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 9:59 AM by Jennifer Souza
Losers
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:00 AM by Howard
I am not sure you realize how powerful your marketing message is in this case: "We fight against claims to keep our costs low, saving you money." LOUD & CLEAR, and far louder and clearer that anything Flo will ever say in a commercial. I will not be renewing my Progressive policy - why on earth would I, if this is the way you treat your customers? I suggest you read this: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2012/08/corporations-are-not-people.html
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:01 AM by Jeff Copeland
This is sad a sad story. I am shopping around for car insurance as I write this, stumbled upon this story, and know not to even bother with a quote from Progressive. MY money is not going to support a company that causes so much pain and suffering.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:02 AM by Chris
Ever since hearing about this case I've been shopping for a new insurance provider. I'm insulted by Progressive's attempt to make the course of action seem morally acceptable. If Nationwide didn't need a trial by jury to determine fault, why did Progressive feel it was necessary to have the trial to avoid paying their customer?
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:03 AM by Jace
I am never going to purchase a Progressive product of any kind. I am going to tell everyone I know now to purchase a Progressive product. I am going to actively find an insurance company that will NOT REPRESENT THE OTHER SIDE TO AVOID PAYING ME THE AMOUNT I AM OWED UNDER MY POLICY. What you did should be a criminal act, and is one in the minds of the intelligent populace.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:05 AM by Miles Eastman
There is constant talk about "settling the claim". The truth is, the jury settled that for you. Your company was trying to negotiate a lower amount than the judgment provided ($760,000.00). A defense lawyer even questioned whether an appeal would be filed. "Defense lawyer Robin F. Kessler, with the Law Office of Andrew B. Greenspan, in Linthicum, said no decision has been made yet on whether to appeal the verdict." Truly disgusting.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:06 AM by Matt
I too found this story via Seth Godin along with tens of thousands of other social media influencers (and insurance customers). Many of us will be flogging this story to our social graph. 10 years ago you probably could have gotten away with this. No more. Social media is not simply a marketing channel, and I think you're learning that now.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:11 AM by Mitch
I have always thought Progressive advertising was the stupidest thing about the company. Apparently I was wrong. Further proof of the rule - You cannot underestimate an insurance company.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:17 AM by Don S
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:18 AM by Don S
Not only will I never use Progressive insurance I am going to go out of my way to make sure no friends or family ever use this callus/pathetic company.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:24 AM by Ben
This is a great example of why I will never purchase insurance from your company.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:29 AM by Jonathan Watson
It doesn't matter how many great commercials you produce, you are ultimately judged on your behaviors. There's no way I, or anyone that I may influence, will ever become a customer of Progressive.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 10:39 AM by Cindy
Yeah, I agree with most all the comments here... shameful behavior by Progressive. I had a favorable view of the company before (mostly from their Flo commercials, I suppose, although I know people have differing opinions about those commercials...lol). Anyway, all of that marketing is blown away by their actions. Shame shame, Progressive.
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 11:39 AM by Johnny
Is this what you mean by not representing the guilty party: http://mattfisher.tumblr.com/post/29432884849/today-in-response-to-my-blog-post-entitled-my Did you really think your lies would not be found out?
Posted on 8/17/2012 at 11:42 AM by Joe C
This is a tragic situation and I'm glad to see that some resolution is coming to pass.
Posted on 8/18/2012 at 11:38 PM by James
your "credible" eye witness was the passenger in the accident, a traumatized victim with permanent brain damage from the accident. you guys are disgusting
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 12:55 AM by Lauren
Canceling and switching to state farm. I've also told my daughter and son. They're switching too. Shame on you to try to get out of paying this family the money they were owed. I'm done and over with you and FLO!
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 7:28 AM by Clarissa Mathison
Wow, I've been with progressive for over 10 years, but I will be leaving at renewal time. If one of my family members passed away, I can't imagine the extra pain that this situation would have caused. Really pathetic on your part, Progressive.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 10:13 AM by Daniel
After a disaster for the family and a PR disaster for Progressive .... I hope that Progressive made up for it a little by also paying for the family's court costs? What a sad unnecessary mess.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 10:38 AM by Lisa B
I wouln't be advertising on the media Progressive. Everytime I see your commercial I would laugh and turn the channel.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 10:45 AM by Larry
This is why you pay a little more money and get insured with reputable insurance companies like State Farm or All State. My mother always told me you get what you pay for...and unfortunately in this case it involved something other that a material item. In this families darkest hour a mediocre company decides to reveal what is most important to them....so very sad and unfortunate.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 11:04 AM by Nicole
Pathetic behavior from a company, shame on you. I will skip those commercials of yours and never be your customer. Shame.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 12:01 PM by 007
Disgusting. Shame on Progressive. I will never buy insurance from you.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 12:44 PM by Sam Meyerson
I am sorry progressive, though I am moving my business else where. I can understand due process, I can understand policy, but what I can't understand is the fact that a family was given the run around until considerable social pressure forced light on the issues. Based on the available evidence, all signs pointed to Ms. Fisher being a victim of an automobile accident which resulted in the wrongful death due to the negligence of the "other driver". I can not support an organization which would not support me in a similar situation. Insurance is defined as "A practice by which a company provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment." in this case, the Fisher family experienced all of the above, an in return for compensation Progressive put them through unwarranted duress. While I am with you now, please know that I am shopping and will soon be gone.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 1:21 PM by rmrfslash
I had a similar experience with Progressive a few years ago tho no fatalities, etc. I was enraged that that Progressive never evaluated my explanation of why how I was rear-ended by a more expensive car which turned into my lane and never stopped. The driver was very hostile and Progressive never evaluated my report; then they raised my rate and cancelled.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 1:28 PM by Alfrieda Daly
So why did you represent the other party? You got caught redhanded lying and cheating your customers and now you are trying to spin it that you were protecting your customer. I will be contacting my agent tomorrow and cancelling my wife's policy.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 2:22 PM by Paul
A few points: 1. No the law does not force you to do what you did. You could have paid out the max and been done with it no trial needed. 2. Stop the double speak already. This is your 3rd try at PR and so far you have used corporate doublespeak on all 3 tries. While factually correct you are using lawyerese just stop it does not work. 3. For your own sake hire some decent PR people or at the very least minimize the impact of what your legal team is doing on these outlets.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 2:55 PM by Dewey Cheatem Esquire
Progressive's actions are disgusting! As a progressive insurance holder, I am definitely going to reconsider renewing my policy.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 4:36 PM by Zoey
I hope this information gets out to everyone everywhere so the world can see what kind of company Progressive really is. Stop pouring millions into that obnoxious advertising and take care of your clients.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 5:25 PM by P. Paul
My family has used Progressive insurance for the past five years. My husband will be calling you all on Monday to cancel our insurance. It is clear that you are only addressing this issue because it went viral. Shame on you. My prayers go to the family of this unfortunate tragedy.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 5:51 PM by Jennifer Helm
You buy cheapo insurance, you get a cheapo insurance company. The only good thing Progressive did was leave a forum open in order to hear the people.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 5:53 PM by Doug
As a Progressive policyholder, I'm not happy about this one. So Progressive had to back the defendant (the uninsured motorist) against their own policyholder? Sounds like I might have to check out USAA, State Farm, or others if Progressive doesn't get its act together.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 6:43 PM by Big Wurm
Dropped my coverage with Progressslime today. Will never do business with them again. Period.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 8:20 PM by Steve Merritt
Very sad story! However, any and every insurance company would have done the very same thing. Read your policy contract and pay more to protect yourself and those you may injure in an accident instead of trying to get the lowest rate! Prayers going out to the family.
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 8:31 PM by Geico
I have just cancelled my home owners and went with a new company, car insurance will be Monday! Shame that I as a customer must switch due to a families loss and a companies GREED!!
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 8:49 PM by James smith
Oh dear, this is an embarrassment of the highest order. Caught trying to save money over trying to believe in your customer! Imagine the positive PR that could have been realized if this had gone the other way....Maybe you ought to just make a public apology to the family involved and offer them 1 million for being insensitive and violating your own published mission statement. That might help a little!
Posted on 8/19/2012 at 11:52 PM by Kurt H
I feel awful for everyone involved in this case. However, I find it funny that so many people are saying that they are leaving Progressive and seeking a Nationwide agent. Really? I wonder if the Nationwide agent educated their insured on their coverage.......a woman died at the fault of their client and all they had to pay was $25k in liability coverage. There was supposedly a witness that says that their client was not at fault, but they still paid....didn't defend him. Hmmmm......just food for thought.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 1:32 AM by Lynn
Legal? Ok. Corporations love legalities. Moral? Ethical? Smart, even? No way. Glad you guys got called out.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 1:41 AM by James
so unbelievably disgusting. I just posted 3 articles about Progressive on my Facebook, Google+, and Twitter accounts. People in Scotland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the UK, Canada and the US are sick with anger at Progressive. I intend to make sure Progressive's name is forever remembered as the Insurance company that defended Katie Fischer's killer.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 1:47 AM by Joe
I'm a Progressive customer but this story really bugs me. You had a lawyer arguing against your own customer in court, and then you tried to obscure the issue with a bunch of doublespeak. You deserve the firestorm of criticism.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 8:40 AM by Adam B
I AM A CURRENT PROGRESSIVE CUSTOMER. I most likely will change to another company in September when it is time for renewal. I've been around the insurance business since I was a child. (my parents were agents). Progressives' stance on a measly $75k was reprehensible to me. I had always heard of their good customer service but now I know I cannot expect it. I can only hope for it. I'm not paying premiums for hope.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 11:30 AM by DrRadar
Seriously, I don't know what you were thinking. No amount of cute ads. will save you now, because deep down we know what your internal brand stands for. What a wasted opportunity to show what you value and are capable of.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 12:46 PM by Lynn R.
Hey guys, read this: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/your-money/progressives-side-of-the-insurance-case-that-blew-up-on-the-internet.html Clearest explanation I've seen on this case so far.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 3:28 PM by EBH
Vote with your pocketbook. My boat policy with them was cancelled today, that's $451 a year of mine that is no longer with Progressive.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 3:57 PM by Julie
This type of behavior doesn't build confidence that others won't have to go through the same ordeal after the death of a loved one.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 5:04 PM by Maudie N Mandeville
I will never buy Progressive Insurance.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 5:26 PM by Katherine
I am currently a progressive customer. Unfortunately, Progressive has dug their own grave and I am so happy that people are speaking out against unmoral business practices. Yes, companies make mistakes, but this one I hope will cost you more money then you forked over to the Fisher case. My parents have 4 cars under Progressive and I will change their insurance company immediately as well.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 6:46 PM by Ruthie
Progressive made a serious public relations mistake in the initial handling and an even more significant one in trying to weasel word the bad decision making. All over $75,000! How many millions will Progressive lose if other clients or potential client conclude that Progressive is maybe not the company to give their insurance business to?
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 9:39 PM by Bob Hankinson
You sir should be ashamed of yourself
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 9:54 PM by Jason Wallis
You had better hope that I, or any of my friends or family, am never on a jury considering a case against Progressive. I have a long memory and will make sure everyone I know is aware of your despicable actions (including lying to us) in this case. What you did to your client is akin to treason, and I hope you suffer the same penalty that traitors receive.
Posted on 8/20/2012 at 10:16 PM by Robert Johnson
Progressive Insurance represents the worst of the worst of CORPORATE GREED and DISHONESTY! I am ashamed and embarrassed by your actions and policies and will do my best to ensure that no family member uses your service.
Posted on 8/21/2012 at 12:50 AM by Chuck Allen
Clearly none of you understand how insurance works. If there are conflicting witness statements then liability may not be as clear cut as it appears to the outside observer. Normally, the insurance companies (Progressive & Nationwide) would work this out between themselves without going to court. Obviously, there was some sort of disagreement on liability for it to go to court. Maryland state law requires fault to be determined before payment can be made via uninsured/underinsured coverage; thus, a trial was required in order to establish fault (and eventually coverage). Nothing here indicates that Progressive was trying avoid payment. In fact, they were acting legally to establish fault SO THEY COULD PAY UNDER THE UNDERINSURED COVERAGE!!! Use some logic people and set aside the emotions!
Posted on 8/21/2012 at 10:24 AM by Skinny
No matter how Progressive tries the rationalize their own actions, it sux to be a client and need to file a claim doesn't it?
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 9:04 AM by Vivian
Millions in lost revenue and bad PR to save, what?...75k? I'm in the hunt for a new insurer. Won't be Progressive.
Posted on 8/22/2012 at 4:03 PM by Really...?
Just cancelled my policy with Progressive after reading this.
Posted on 8/23/2012 at 2:09 PM by pras
Will never ever use you guys again.
Posted on 8/24/2012 at 2:08 PM by Syed M Balkhi
Cancelling my coverage. The stockholders should bail too.
Posted on 8/30/2012 at 2:27 PM by Douglas Shrock
Those that are bashing Progressive obviously don't want to hear anything they say. I work for another insurance company and I can guarantee you that this would have been handled exactly the same way. The loss of anyone due to a tragic accident is always an emotional even, however when there are conflicting eye-witness accounts of the accident the accident will more than likely go to arbitration. Progressive did not stand up for the at fault party. Sorry for their loss but Progressive is not the villain here.
Posted on 9/1/2012 at 10:59 PM by Gia
I was once a customer of Progressive and they actually put on my MVR that I was at fault in an accident the other driver was charged with. I was never cited for anything and only found it by chance when I had to get my MVR later. The other driver was also a Progressive customer. They also couldn't find my driving record after submitting a copy of my license through an agent. They wanted to charge me an extra $300 for this. The secretary spent several minutes on the phone until they finally got the right information. The final straw was when I bought a used car on a Friday afternoon. I called them to put the car on my insurance and gave them the VIN. About 9 months later it was time to renew my tags and the DMV said that car was uninsured. They had changed the first digit of the VIN from a 1 to an A. How they managed to make that mistake, even after confirming all the info when they added the car. These all happened after the incident with the MVR and my attorney in that accident has had many negative experiences with them. Oh and this happened 12 years ago, so this has been going on a very long time.
Posted on 9/2/2012 at 10:24 AM by Scott
Sorry, but nothing less than a public apology and a public commitment to not have lawyers acting on your behalf act is such a manner again will persuade me to look to another company for my auto insurance coverage.
Posted on 9/2/2012 at 1:11 PM by KELSON SMITH
This is really an unfortunate case. Glad the Fisher's finally won and that everybody got what was rightfully theirs.
Posted on 9/2/2012 at 9:18 PM by James K Shaffer
You may have been 'entitled' to defend 'yourself', but your customer thathad paid premiums to you, as wel ass do every month, was not at fault, and you chose to fight against your customer. Why would I want to continue to be a Progressive customer? I MUST cancel my policy. It's a shame, I just switch from the other major Ins Company.
Posted on 9/5/2012 at 2:03 PM by A Progressive PolicyHolder
I am so HAPPY I READ THIS TODAY, I was going to switch to progressive this week, but NOT ANYMORE, NOT if this is how they handle their clients, I will stick with my current insurance company who has never done me wrong even if my current company is more expensive.
Posted on 9/6/2012 at 8:45 AM by dm
I hope the 11/3 rule is in effect here and everyone that is upset tells 11 other people about this disgrace. And those 11 people tell 11 of their friends etc. how many people read this and didn't respond but now know the truth? How many just read Seth Godin's blog and didn't respond but are now aware? WHEW! Nice work Mr. Fisher!
Posted on 9/12/2012 at 6:43 PM by Matt
Even though nationwide did not seem to have any problem determining who was at fault.
Posted on 10/11/2012 at 6:49 AM by AJ Bharj
I am so glad "Progressive participated in the trial procedures on our own behalf" against the estate of their own client. This is just a ringing endorsement of their commitment to customer service, as long as it runs parallel to their own interest. Read- we have great customer service provided you don'g get into an accident. Progressive thank you for making shopping for insurance even easier.
Posted on 10/21/2012 at 11:38 PM by Just Wow
I'm glad i just read this story because i am about to be in a claim settlement with progressive for my uninsurance. I see what i will have to look foward to. I am in way morr debt than my max of uninsurance policy claim but I'm sure they are going to try and give me some type silly offer. Im only accepting the max! Nothing less!
Posted on 11/8/2012 at 5:38 AM by Teheran
My insurance premium is due. Progressive Insurance had the lowest quote. because of this incident, i have chosen a more expensive company to cover me and letting all my acquaintances know about flo.
Posted on 11/8/2012 at 12:10 PM by allen
I'm glad the Fishers got the insurance payout that was owed to their daughter's estate. I'm sorry Progressive dragged a grieving family through the agony of a court battle over money that was rightfully theirs in the first place, instead of simply paying what was owed promptly and with dignity. I'm not sure whether your competitors behave any better when the money is flowing from the insurance company to the insured instead of the other way around--but, I think I'll give my business to them. ANY of them.
Posted on 11/21/2012 at 11:30 PM by Beth Gray
It's too bad you have to REVIEW peoples RESPONSES to this so you can FILTER OUT the TRUTH. Afraid to hear what the public actually thinks? The Public will speak its mind in full force. Anonymous is Legion. We do not forgive, we do not forget. Expect Us.
Posted on 11/26/2012 at 2:24 AM by Guy Fawkes
I was searching the internet about Progressive. Flo, had finally beaten down my defenses, and inspired me to learn more about this seemingly caring, understanding company. I stumbled upon the Fisher case, educated myself about it, and am sitting here still in a state of shock. How any entity could be so greedy and underhanded to their own supporters is beyond me. These people, your customers, support you by purchasing your products/services and then you in turn, turn against them. Who needs enemies when you can just sign up for service with Progressive. Progressive was at the top of my short list for a new insurance provider, but after reading this, that will NEVER happen.
Posted on 11/26/2012 at 5:12 PM by Amazed
wow, They just upped my policy for no rason, and I ended up here researching the "Increase" This is a sad story. I will not renew, and not contribute to unethical behavior
Posted on 12/30/2012 at 2:35 AM by Wyatt
FU progressive... I would do what ever it takes when ever possible with friends and family to avoid using you for insurance.... This has hit a nerve with me and I will never stop or forget. D
Posted on 1/5/2013 at 12:35 AM by dike
Progressive is the worst insurance company there is! I had 3 policys with them & our rv was totalled in hurricane sandy we had full coverage on it & progressive found another way not to pay another claim. The supervisor that set us up with our coverage gave us a stated policy of $1000 on a rv worth $10,000 with a $2,500 deuctable which means if something happened to the rv we would owe them $1,500 & they would never have to  pay any claim.after calling them for two months & them telling me they are waiting for the  tapes, they finally said they will only pay the stated amount of $1,000 & waive the                              deductable! Gee thanks why would i pay them for our rv?? How slick is that! & a    supervisor set us up with that policy. I agree they will find anyway to not pay there claims.I too will tell everyone i know these disgusting stories about an insurance company that is only in buisness because of us consumers paying the premiums & they wiggle out of paying out there claims & screw innocent people. I think we should all get together & put out a commercial letting the public really know who progressive is.
Posted on 1/12/2013 at 7:47 PM by Erica s