How homeowners insurance may cover damage to home modifications

If they were in place prior to a covered loss, here’s how a policy may pay to repair or replace damaged modifications, up to your coverage limits and minus your homeowners insurance deductible under the following:

Dwelling coverage

Your dwelling coverage limit on your policy may pay to repair or replace modifications, such as a wheelchair ramp, damaged by a covered peril.

Personal property coverage

Specialized equipment that you own, relating to a disability, may be covered under your personal property coverage if damaged by a covered peril, up to your coverage limits and minus any deductible.

Personal liability coverages and medical payments

If someone who doesn't live with you is injured on your property and the injury is related to an installed modification (e.g., slipping on a ramp, tripping around a stair chair lift), personal liability coverage and medical payments coverage may pay for their medical expenses, up to the limits of your policy. If you need more than the maximum amount of liability coverage offered on a homeowners policy, an additional Progressive umbrella policy may provide coverage up to $5 million.

Cover modifications to your home through Progressive


Answer questions about your property and then customize your coverage to your needs.

Call a rep

Talk to a licensed representative who can answer your questions.

Through an agent

Talk to an independent agent about your options.