California Notice at Collection
This Notice applies only to California residents ("Consumers") concerning Personal Information that is subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA"). This Notice does not apply to information that is exempt from the CCPA.
"Personal Information" is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular Consumer or household in California. It includes the following categories:
- "Identifiers" such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.
- "CCR Categories," which may include the following categories of Personal Information described in the California Customer Records statute: name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.
- "Protected Classification Characteristics" under California or federal law such as age, marital status, and gender.
- "Commercial Information," which may include records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- "Biometric Information," which means a Consumer's physiological, biological or behavioral characteristics used or intended for use singly or in combination with each other or other identifying data to establish individual identity.
- "Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information," which may include website information, browsing history, search history, information on a Consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
- "Geolocation Data" about physical location or movements.
- "Sensory Information" consisting of audio, electronic, visual or similar information.
- "Professional or Employment-Related Information" such as information about current or past employment.
- "Education Information" such as education level.
- "Inferences" drawn from other Personal Information to create a profile about a Consumer reflecting the Consumer's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Personal Information also includes the following categories of "Sensitive Personal Information":
- "Sensitive Identifiers," meaning Personal Information that reveals a Consumer's Social Security, driver's license, state identification card, or passport number.
- "Sensitive Account Information," meaning Personal Information that reveals a Consumer's account log-in, financial account, debit card, or credit card number in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to an account.
- "Sensitive Geolocation Information," meaning Personal Information that reveals a Consumer's geolocation within an area that is equal to or less than the area of a circle with a radius of 1850 feet.
- "Sensitive Demographics," meaning Personal Information that reveals a Consumer's racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership.
- "Sensitive Communications," meaning the contents of a Consumer's mail, email, and text messages unless we are the intended recipient of the communication.
- "Sensitive Genetics Information," meaning a Consumer's genetic data.
- "Sensitive Health Information," meaning Personal Information collected and analyzed concerning a Consumer's health.
- "Sensitive Sexual Information," meaning Personal Information collected and analyzed concerning a Consumer's sex life or sexual orientation.
We may collect and use the preceding Personal Information (including Sensitive Personal Information) about you and your household for the following purposes (the "Purposes"):
- Analytics, research & development, pricing, and improving or upgrading our offerings.
- Auditing and quality control.
- Auditing related to counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions.
- Claims and litigation.
- Compliance and related purposes, including, without limitation, making disclosures required by law or regulation, for governmental investigations or processes, or to our attorneys, accountants and auditors.
- Helping ensure our ability to detect security incidents, resist malicious, fraudulent or illegal activity, and report and help prosecute such activity and help protect people's physical safety.
- Maintaining and protecting our data, systems and ourselves, including, without limitation, debugging to identify and repair errors.
- Marketing and advertising products and services offered by us or others and lead monetization.
- Provide, process and service our products or offerings (e.g., maintaining or servicing policies, providing other consumer service, processing or fulfilling transactions and payments, verifying consumer information, communications, etc.)
- Sharing information with other companies in our family of companies or in which we invest.
The minimum length of time for which we will retain the Personal Information we collect varies based on applicable statutes of limitations and whether we think we might need the information for court or other official proceedings.
We may sell, or share for Cross-Context Behavioral Advertising Purposes, Identifiers, Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information, and Commercial Information. "Cross-Context Behavioral Advertising" means targeting advertising to a Consumer based on the Consumer's Personal Information obtained from that person's activity across businesses, distinctly-branded websites, applications, or services, other than the business, distinctly-branded website, application, or service with which the person intentionally interacts. You can opt-out of such sharing at privacyrequest.progressive.com.
We may allow third parties to collect personal information from our websites.