Uninsured motorist property damage vs. collision coverage

The key difference between UMPD and collision coverage is that UMPD only covers damage to your vehicle caused by a driver with little or no insurance. In contrast, collision coverage applies to any damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle or object, regardless of fault. There are a few other differences between each coverage that you should consider:

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD): UMPD coverage protects your vehicle and – in some, but not all, states that offer UMPD — belongings in your vehicle from damage by an uninsured or underinsured driver. This type of coverage is required in a few states, optional in several states, and unavailable in about half of all states. Depending on the state and insurer, UMPD may not include a deductible.

In some states, UMPD coverage won't cover a hit-and-run, in which case you'll need collision coverage for protection against this type of accident.

Important note: Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage may include two parts: uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI), which covers injuries to yourself and passengers, as well as uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD), which covers damage to your vehicle and other property. States that require UM coverage may only require UMBI, or UMBI and UMPD together.

Collision coverage: You can file a claim with your collision insurance when your car gets hit by an uninsured driver or in other situations that involve a collision, like a single car accident. It can even cover damage to your car when you're at fault in an accident. Collision coverage isn't mandatory in any state but may be required if you're leasing or financing a vehicle. Collision coverage also includes a deductible.

Do I need uninsured motorist property damage coverage if I have collision and comprehensive coverage?

If you have collision coverage, then you might not need UMPD coverage since you're already covered for accident-related damage to your vehicle. If you have comprehensive coverage, but not collision coverage, then UMPD is worth considering so you're at least covered for vehicle damage caused by uninsured drivers.

How to get UM coverage or collision coverage

New Progressive customers

Quote car insurance online or call 1-866-749-7436 to find the right coverage for you.

Current Progressive customers

Log in to your policy or call 1-866-749-7436 to adjust your current coverage selections.

Looking for more information about auto insurance? Our car insurance resource center has you covered.