Does homeowners insurance cover theft?

Personal property coverage on your homeowners insurance policy may cover burglary and vandalism by paying to replace stolen or damaged items, up to your coverage limits and minus any deductible. Additionally, if your home or a detached structure on your property (such as a garage or shed) is damaged during a break-in, your policy’s dwelling coverage and other structures coverage can pay for the repairs.

3 min to read

Explore Progressive's editorial standards for Answers articles to find out why you can trust the insurance information you find here.

A thief leaving a house after a burglary

How does personal property coverage replace stolen items?

Also known as Coverage C on your homeowners insurance policy, personal property coverage can minimize theft losses in a covered claim by paying to replace belongings stolen from your home, car, or storage unit, as well as items stolen from you while traveling. If your theft claim is approved, your home insurance company usually pays you the actual cash value (ACV) of the stolen item. Many insurers allow you to purchase replacement cost value (RCV) coverage for an additional cost. RCV covers the value of your item without factoring in depreciation.

Learn more about actual cash value vs. replacement cost.

Many standard policies set your personal property coverage limit at 50% of your dwelling coverage, which protects the structure of your home. However, certain items, such as jewelry or cash, will have lower sub-limits. A sub-limit is a limit within a limit.

Example:Your handbag, purchased for $1,000 two years ago, is stolen from your home. The actual cash value of the handbag is now $600. Replacement cost value coverage would pay you the value of a new, comparable handbag.

FAQs about home insurance theft coverage

Does homeowners insurance cover theft from my car?

Personal items that aren’t permanently installed in your vehicle can be covered up to the limits of your policy, minus your deductible. Note that homeowners insurance won’t cover theft of your actual vehicle. Car theft is typically covered by your auto insurance policy if you have comprehensive car insurance coverage. Learn more about how car insurance covers theft.

Does homeowners insurance cover broken windows?

If your windowpane is broken in a burglary, home insurance can cover repairs under your policy's dwelling coverage, which protects your home's structure. Additionally, if the person liable for the break-in is caught and carries home insurance, their policy could pay for the repairs. Home insurance can also cover broken windows in cases of vandalism, fire, wind, and storm damage.

Does homeowners insurance cover theft outside the home?

Your homeowners insurance policy protects against theft of your belongings while you're away from home, too. For instance, if your luggage is stolen at a hotel or café, you're covered up to the limits of your policy’s personal property coverage. Some insurers offer a lower limit for items stolen off premises, meaning you may only be covered for up to 10%, for example, of your personal property coverage limit.

Example:Your limit for personal property coverage is set at $75,000, but the theft of personal items occurring away from your home is covered up to $7,500.

Does home insurance cover vandalism?

Vandalism is generally covered by standard home insurance policies under the same coverages as theft. If your home's structure is vandalized, your dwelling coverage can pay to repair the damage. If your belongings are vandalized, personal property coverage can pay to repair or replace the items.

How to get homeowners insurance through Progressive


Answer questions about your property and then customize your coverage to your needs.

Quote home insurance

Call a rep

Talk to a licensed representative who can answer your questions.

Call 1-866-749-7436

Through an agent

Talk to an independent agent about your options.

Find an agent online

Quote homeowners insurance online or call for advice

Learn more about home insurance policies.