How you're covered
Hawaii doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Hawaii
Wind and rain damage are common risk factors to Hawaii homes. Your home insurance policy may cover damage to your home's structure and belongings caused by these perils, up to your policy's limits and minus any deductible.
Learn more about how home insurance in Hawaii may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Hawaii homes are all located nearby a rather large body of water – the Pacific Ocean. And the occasional tropical storm can sometimes lead to flooding due to rising water levels. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
How much is homeowners insurance in Hawaii?
Your cost for Hawaii homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in Hawaii?
Fun facts about homes in Hawaii
According to the United States Federal reserve, Hawaii's homeownership rate was over 58% in January, 2021.
The Shipman House, located in Hilo, was built in 1902 and has entertained such notable guests as author Jack London, artist Georgia O'Keeffe, and even the deposed queen of the Hawaiian Kingdom, Liliʻuokalani.
The amazing “Shangri La” estate was built near Honolulu and is now the Shangri La Museum of Islamic Art, Culture, and Design.