Is car insurance tax deductible?

If you only use your car for personal use, then you likely can't deduct your car insurance premiums from your taxable income. Generally, you need to use your vehicle for business-related reasons (other than as an employee) to deduct part of your car insurance premiums as a business expense. Self-employed individuals who use their car for business purposes frequently deduct their car insurance premiums.*

5 min to read

Explore Progressive Answers' auto editorial guidelines to find out why you can trust the car insurance information you find here.

When is auto insurance tax deductible?

If you use a car for business-related purposes (other than as an employee), many expenses associated with that vehicle may be tax deductible as business expenses, including your auto insurance premiums. However, there are certain caveats to keep in mind. For instance, commuting to and from work generally isn't considered a business expense.

Important note: You don't need to itemize your deductions in order to claim business-related vehicle expenses. These deductions are generally claimed on Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business.

Is car insurance tax-deductible for self-employed people only?

Self-employed people make up the majority of those who may deduct their car insurance premiums, but they're not the only ones who qualify. For example, reservists in the armed forces who travel up to 100 miles from home may be able to deduct their auto insurance premiums, as may qualified performing artists and fee-based state or local government officials.

How can I deduct car insurance on my taxes?

If you qualify, you can either (1) deduct all your business-related vehicle expenses, including your car insurance premiums, or (2) deduct an amount based on the actual miles you drove for your business using a cents-per-mile rate. These are known as the Actual Expenses method and Standard Mileage method, respectively.

You can choose either method and change from year to year without penalty. You can tally your expenses based on both methods and then choose the one that yields the higher deduction. Keep in mind that you can only use one method. If you do choose the Actual Expenses method, you can generally deduct the following from your taxes alongside your car insurance premiums:

  • Fuel and oil
  • Car repairs
  • Depreciation
  • Lease payment
  • Registration fees and licenses
  • Tolls and parking fees

When it comes time to file your taxes, you'll use one of two forms. Self-employed individuals will use Schedule C: Profit or Loss From Business to deduct car-related business expenses, including insurance. If you're not self-employed and otherwise qualify for a deduction, you'll use Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses to list relevant costs.

Pro tip:

If you aren't sure if your auto insurance is tax deductible, consult a tax professional. They can also help you determine whether you're better off taking the standard deduction versus itemizing your other deductions. They may also be able to help you determine if you can deduct your homeowners insurance premiums (if applicable to your tax situation).

What you need in order to deduct car insurance from your taxes

  • Separate any personal usage: If your vehicle isn't used solely for work, track the percentage you use the car for business purposes. Suppose you drive for a ridesharing service and spend 70% of your time driving clients around. In that case, you could potentially claim up to 70% of your auto insurance premiums. Note that your insurer may require you to add rideshare coverage to your policy — learn how rideshare insurance works and how to get it.
  • Track mileage: If you're going to claim tax deductions, be sure to keep track of every mile you drive in your vehicle, both business and personal. Record starting and ending mileage every time you travel and keep notes on the reason for the trip. Mileage tracking apps are useful tools.
  • Hold onto receipts: Keep receipts for any business-related automotive expenses, including those for gas and repairs. You'll need these as proof when filing your taxes.
  • Keep your records: You may be asked to justify your deductions from previous tax years, so it's wise to keep any records of your driving history for several years.

Are there other car-related tax deductions or credits I could claim?

Business-related car expenses aren't the only items you can deduct from your taxes. There are many other potential options available, such as:

  • If you donate an old vehicle to charity and itemize deductions, you may be able to claim a charitable contribution deduction.
  • If you itemize deductions and primarily use your vehicle to drive yourself or a loved one for medical reasons, you may be able to deduct auto-related expenses on Schedule A under itemized medical expenses.
  • If you itemize deductions, you may be able to deduct personal property taxes on your vehicle, subject to an overall deduction cap on state and local taxes.
  • You may be able to receive a tax credit for purchasing an electric or hybrid vehicle.
  • If your vehicle was totaled or stolen as a result of a federally declared disaster, then you may be able to deduct the loss from your taxes.

Do I need to itemize my car-related tax deductions?

Itemizing deductions may increase the cost of tax return preparation due to the number of forms involved. The good news is you don't have to itemize to claim your auto insurance premiums or your mileage as business expenses. These deductions are generally claimed on Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business.

When you itemize deductions, you break down your expenses that can be subtracted from your adjusted gross income, such as mortgage interest or charitable donations. That reduces your overall taxable income to reduce the final amount you owe. Itemized deductions are listed on Schedule A of Form 1040.

Looking for more information about auto insurance? Our car insurance resource center has you covered.

Quote car insurance online or give us a call

Learn more about car insurance policies.