Pennsylvania renters insurance
Whether you're looking for renters insurance in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lancaster, or anywhere else across the Keystone State, you can find reliable coverage at an affordable price with Progressive. We offer customized protection and discounts, which may help lower your cost for renters insurance in Pennsylvania. See how you're covered, then get a personalized renters insurance quote.
Is renters insurance required in Pennsylvania?
Renters insurance isn't required by Pennsylvania law, but your landlord or building management company may require that you obtain a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It may also pay for you to live elsewhere if your residence is not suitable to live in while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Pennsylvania renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Pennsylvania renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Pennsylvania is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Pennsylvania
According to the Insurance Information Institute, there were over 15,000 motor vehicle thefts in Pennsylvania in 2020. While renters insurance won’t cover a stolen vehicle, your renters policy may cover items stolen from your vehicle, up to your policy’s limits and minus your deductible.
Pennsylvania rental homes and apartments don't have to be close to large bodies of water to experience flooding from rising water levels. While renters insurance doesn't cover damage flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on Pennsylvania renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Pennsylvania, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does renters insurance in PA cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Pennsylvania, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.