How you're covered
Maine doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Keep in mind coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Common claims in Maine
With Maine's cold weather comes the possibility of damage from the weight of ice, snow, or sleet, frozen pipes, and even icy driveways that can cause falls. Your home insurance policy may cover damage to your home's structure and belongings caused by these perils along with a slip and fall if you are found to be liable, up to your policy's limits.
Learn more about how home insurance may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Whether your home is near the seacoast or any of Maine's rivers or lakes, or even simply subject to snowmelt runoff, rising water levels can cause flooding issues. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
How much is homeowners insurance in Maine?
Your cost for Maine homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in Maine?
Fast facts about homes in Maine
Maine home ownership rates are among the highest in the nation at about 72.2%, according to IndexMundi.
The Olson House in Cushing appears in many works by artist Andrew Wyeth. It's in "Christina's World," arguably his most famous painting, which is part of the permanent collection at New York's Museum of Modern Art.
If haunted mansions are your thing, check out The Greenville Inn the next time you're near Moosehead Lake, where it's said you might hear the sounds of dancing footfalls and disembodied voices.