How you're covered
Mississippi doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy’s coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit, so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Remember that coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Mississippi
Mississippi's humid climate and location make it extremely vulnerable to harmful weather. Hurricanes from the Gulf of Mexico and tornadoes may be a risk to homeowners. Your home insurance may cover damage caused by severe weather, up to the limits of your policy, minus your deductible.
Flooding may be a risk in Mississippi year-round, especially for homes near the Mississippi Delta. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
Learn more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
How much is homeowners insurance in Mississippi?
Your cost for Mississippi homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.