Renters insurance West Virginia
Get dependable renters insurance in West Virginia at an affordable price. See what coverages are available to you in The Mountain State, then get a personalized renters insurance quote in minutes. Progressive offers customized protection and discounts to lower the cost of renters insurance in West Virginia.
Is renters insurance required in West Virginia?
West Virginia doesn't have a state law that mandates renters insurance. However, your landlord or property rental company may require it as a condition of your rental agreement. Since it's so affordable, you may want renters insurance to protect you against covered perils that may result in financial loss.
West Virginia renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all West Virginia renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in West Virginia is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in West Virginia
Weather-related damages sometimes happen in West Virginia, though its inland location protects it from the types of weather experienced in coastal areas. Your West Virginia renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits, minus your deductible.
Depending on where you live in West Virginia, some rental homes, condos, or apartments can experience flooding from rising water levels. While a standard renters insurance policy doesn't cover damage from outside flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on West Virginia renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in West Virginia, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does West Virginia renters insurance cost?
You can buy West Virginia renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in West Virginia, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.