What does homeowners insurance cover?

Home insurance may cover the physical structure of your home, other structures on your lot, personal belongings and additional living expenses that result from not being able to stay in your home due to a covered loss.

3 min to read

Explore Progressive's editorial standards for Answers articles to find out why you can trust the insurance information you find here.

What are the different types of homeowners insurance coverage?

Dwelling coverage

If your home’s physical structure, including your roof, siding or attached garage, is damaged by a covered peril, dwelling coverage may pay to repair or rebuild the physical structure of your home and anything permanently attached to it.

For example, if a windstorm knocks your chimney down, your policy's dwelling coverage may pay for those repairs, up to your policy’s limits, minus your deductible.

Other structures coverage

Other structures coverage for structures on your property that are not attached to the main home, including outbuildings like detached garages, fences, and gazebos. If a violent thunderstorm damages your garden shed, other structures coverage may pay for the damage, up to your policy’s limits, minus your deductible.

Personal property coverage

Personal property coverage protects your belongings such as electronics, furniture, and clothing up to your coverage limits and minus your homeowners insurance deductible.

For example, personal property coverage may pay to replace a computer stolen from your car, up to your policy’s limits and minus your deductible.

Personal liability coverage

Personal liability coverage protects against financial loss if you're liable for another party’s damages or injuries. It may even cover legal fees and lawsuits if you’re sued.

For example, if your child accidentally breaks a neighbor's stained-glass window while playing catch in the yard, your liability coverage may pay to replace the window, up to your policy’s liability coverage limit.

Loss of use coverage

Loss of use coverage, which includes "additional living expenses," may pay for extra costs you incur to maintain your living situation while your home is being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.

For example, suppose a fire destroys much of your home and leaves it uninhabitable. Loss of use coverage may pay the additional costs you incur for a short-term rental and certain living expenses up your policy’s limit while your home is being repaired. Learn about how insurance may cover fire damage.

Optional homeowners insurance coverages also include water backup coverage and personal injury coverage. Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.

What does homeowners insurance not cover?

Homeowners insurance doesn’t cover motor vehicles or damage to your home and belongings from perils not listed on your policy. A homeowners insurance policy usually doesn't cover:

  • Flooding
  • Earthquakes
  • Damage caused by termites, vermin, and rodents
  • Wear and tear

However, you may be able to purchase separate flood insurance and, if you live in a state with seismic activity, you may have access to a standalone earthquake insurance policy.

Learn more about how homeowners insurance works and how much home insurance you need.

Customize your homeowners insurance coverages


Answer questions about your property and then customize your coverage to your needs.

Quote home insurance

Call a rep

Talk to a licensed representative who can answer your questions.

Call 1-866-749-7436

Through an agent

Talk to an independent agent about your options.

Find an agent online

Quote homeowners insurance online or call for advice

Learn more about home insurance policies.