Is renters insurance required in Arkansas?
Neither state nor federal law in Arkansas mandates renters insurance. However, there's a good chance your landlord or building manager will require you to take out a renters insurance policy before leasing the space. Even if you aren't required to carry coverage, the protection it may provide against water damage, liability incidents, and household fires is worth considering.
Arkansas renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Arkansas renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Arkansas is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water backup: Your standard renters policy may not cover water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump. Water backup coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Arkansas
It's not called The Natural State for nothing: Arkansas sustains more than its fair share of disasters courtesy of the earth, including heavy rain, tornadoes, and flooding. Depending on the peril, Arkansas renters insurance can help cover the cost of repairs or replacement to your belongings, up to your policy's limits (minus your deductible).
Flooding is a real risk for Arkansans. Depending on where you live, your house or apartment could be subject to river floods, a flash flood, or even coastal floods that have worked their way inland. While renters insurance doesn't cover damage from outside flooding, taking out a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on Arkansas renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Arkansas, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Are you moving and wondering how to insure your belongings while they're in transit? Learn more about insurance for your property while moving or in storage.
What's the average cost of renters insurance in Arkansas?
You can get renters insurance in Arkansas for less than $1/day.* What you'll pay will vary depending on the location of your rented home, the age of the building you're moving into, and any safety features it includes. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get an Arkansas renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.