How your auto policy may cover tornado damage

Comprehensive coverage covers damage to your vehicle from events out of your control, including storm damage, hail, wind, floods, and lightning. If your vehicle is damaged by a tornado and you carry comprehensive coverage, your auto insurance policy may pay to repair or replace your vehicle, minus your deductible.

Comprehensive coverage may also pay to repair or replace a damaged windshield from a falling tree limb or to repair structural damage to a car caused by a collapsing garage. Other damage that often comes with tornadoes, such as dents from hail or burn damage from a lightning strike, may be covered as well under your policy's comprehensive coverage.

Does car insurance cover wind damage?

Even a light thunderstorm or strong winds can dislodge tree branches and cause dents or break windows. Damage from windstorms and thunderstorms is weather related, so your comprehensive coverage may pay to repair or replace your damaged vehicle, minus your comprehensive deductible.

Your auto policy's comprehensive coverage may pay to repair or replace your vehicle, minus your deductible, if the damage was caused by a tornado.

What to do if you see a tornado while driving

Don't attempt to outrun a storm if you're behind the wheel, as a tornado can change directions at a moment's notice. If you see a tornado while driving, take the following measures:

  • Get off the road as soon as possible; if you're unable to get off the road, drive at right angles to the tornado and keep your seatbelt on.
  • Seek shelter in the basement of a sturdy building.
  • Lie down and cover your head with your hands.
  • If you're pulled over and can't get out of your vehicle, keep your head below the windows.
  • Cover yourself with a blanket or coat to cushion against debris impact.

Get comprehensive coverage from Progressive

Go online

Customize your coverages to you and your vehicle.

Call a rep

Speak with a licensed representative for your state.

Ask an agent

Connect with an independent agent in your area.