How to update your address if you're moving

Progressive customers

or call us at 1-866-749-7436.

Non Progressive customers

If you're moving and want a brand new policy with us, just get a car insurance quote online or call 1-866-749-7436 and enter/tell us your new address.

FAQs for moving

Will my rate change if I move?

Depending on your new ZIP code, your price will typically change, and there will be more fluctuation if you are moving to a new state. Regardless of where you move, you'll keep your loyalty rewards if you have Progressive.

When do I notify my insurance company about my move?

Once you know your moving date and new address, notify us or your insurance company. If you need to move suddenly, that's okay—just let us or your insurance company know as soon as possible so you'll never be without coverage.

It's best to notify us or your insurer right away.

Does Progressive require address verification?

Occasionally, we'll need to verify your address when the information on your credit report does not match the address you provided on your quote or policy. You'll be asked to submit a recent paystub, license, W-2, or utility bill(s) to confirm your ZIP code. This is done to prevent insurance fraud and can often be resolved by contacting us.

Does it matter if I'm moving to a new state?

If you're staying in the same state, you don't need to get a new policy. Simply notify your insurer. If you have a Progressive policy, you can update your address online or over the phone. But, if you're moving out of state, you'll need a new policy and your old one will be cancelled. Sorry, but every state has different coverage requirements and regulations. At Progressive we have a team of representatives dedicated to handling your move expediently and seamlessly.

What if I have a dual residence?

If you're a Snowbird, maintain two residences in separate states, or have a vacation home in another state where your additional vehicle is kept, you'll need to have a separate policy for that out-of-state address. If you are not frequently traveling back and forth between states and don't keep a vehicle in another state, then you won't have to carry two policies at the same time.


You're a “Snowbird” and spend the fall and winter in Florida, so you would carry a Florida policy for those months. You spend the spring and summer in Wisconsin, so you'll need a Wisconsin policy during those months. If you always keep your car in the state you're in, you can cancel out your Florida policy when you're in Wisconsin and vice versa to avoid paying premiums on two policies at the same time.

What if you leave a car behind: For example, you leave a car parked in your garage in Wisconsin when you travel to Florida. It'd be most cost-effective to cancel your Wisconsin policy, as it would seem that you wouldn't need insurance on the car you're not driving. But keep in mind, damage caused from events beyond your control, such as falling trees, theft, vandalism, etc. won't be covered. If you want to make sure that your car is protected then you'll need to keep your Wisconsin policy active, including comprehensive coverage.

See more on what comprehensive insurance covers.

Multiple residences

You have two residences, one in New York and one in California. Your busy schedule has you traveling back and forth between the two states, and you keep a separate vehicle at each location. Because one car is kept in New York and the other permanently resides in California, you'll need to carry two separate insurance policies at the same time to make sure your vehicles are covered.

Live and work in different states

You live in Pennsylvania, but work in New Jersey. Although you drive to New Jersey daily, you would have a Pennsylvania policy only, because the vehicle is kept overnight in Pennsylvania.