Renters insurance in Louisiana
New Orleans, LSU's Death Valley, incredible food — the reasons to live in Louisiana are limitless. You can find affordable, reliable renters insurance in the Pelican State through Progressive. See what kind of customized protection Progressive offers and receive a personalized quote for renters insurance in Louisiana in minutes.
Is renters insurance required in Louisiana?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Louisiana law, your landlord or the company that manages your building may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It may pay for you to stay elsewhere, too, if you're temporarily unable to stay in your residence due to damage from a covered loss.
Louisiana renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Louisiana renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Louisiana is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Louisiana
Louisiana is particularly prone to damage from hurricanes, especially in the later months of the year. Heavy rains, high winds, and other threats can damage your home's structure and roof, which may then damage your personal belongings. Your Louisiana renters insurance policy may cover damage to personal belongings from a covered peril up to your policy's limits, minus your deductible.
Though home to many beautiful waterways, Louisiana's proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi River makes it vulnerable to flooding from rising water levels. Renters insurance doesn't protect against flooding, but a separate flood insurance policy may protect your home and possessions from flood damage.
Discounts on Louisiana renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Louisiana, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does Louisiana renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Louisiana, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.