How you're covered
Louisiana doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Common claims in Louisiana
Louisiana is one of the most hurricane-prone states in the country. Residents are at a high risk of damage from violent winds and flooding, especially if you live in the Mississippi alluvial plain or near the Gulf of Mexico. Fortunately, your homeowners insurance policy may cover your home for wind damage from hurricanes. As for flooding, you typically need a separate flood insurance policy to protect your home and belongings from this type of damage.
Learn more about how home insurance may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
How much is homeowners insurance in Louisiana?
Your cost for Louisiana homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Fun facts about homes in Louisiana
Louisiana's homeownership rate is about 69.1%, which is above the national average.
In New Orleans, St. Charles Avenue is a historic district that is home to dozens of mansions constructed from the mid-1800s through the early 1900s. Many of these mansions are now public buildings or apartments.
New Orleans is also home to the Napoleon House, where Napoleon Bonaparte was meant to stay upon being rescued from exile on St. Helena. The rescue never took place, but the name stuck.
Get a Louisiana homeowners insurance quote
We'll ask simple questions about your property, then you can customize your coverages and start date.
Speak with a licensed homeowners representative who can guide you through your quote and even fax or email proof of insurance to your lender.
Ask an agent
We'll connect you with a licensed independent agent near you.