Is renters insurance required in Montana?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Montana law, a landlord or rental agency often will require it. Even if you aren't mandated to purchase renters insurance, it may help protect your belongings from certain perils like theft and fire. It may also pay for you to temporarily stay in a hotel if your apartment or residence is unlivable due to covered loss.
Montana renters insurance coverages
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Montana is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Montana
Montana's widely varied geography creates a huge range of severe weather possibilities across the state. Montana renters insurance may cover damage to your belongings from severe weather, such as windstorms and hail.
Need to protect your belongings while they're in transit to your new place in Montana? Learn about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Montana renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Montana, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
What does renters insurance cost in Montana?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many factors affect the cost of renters insurance in Montana, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.