Is renters insurance required in Nevada?
Renters insurance isn't required by law in Nevada, but many landlords require it as part of the rental agreement. Whether your landlord or rental office requires it or not, renters insurance is typically affordable and may protect your personal items against damage from certain perils.
Nevada renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Nevada renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Nevada is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Nevada
In 2018, Nevada ranked eighth in the nation for number of break-ins. Renters insurance in Nevada may pay to replace stolen items, up to your coverage limits and minus your deductible. See more about how renters insurance covers theft.
Are you on the move in Nevada and needing to insure your belongings while they’re in transit to your new address? Learn about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Nevada renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters insurance in Nevada, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
How much does Nevada renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day,* but policy prices vary based on a lot of factors, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about what affects the cost of renters insurance.
Get a Nevada renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.