Is renters insurance required in New Hampshire?
New Hampshire law doesn't require renters insurance. However, your landlord or rental office might require a renters insurance policy before they hand you the keys. Even if you aren't required to have one, a renters insurance policy can protect your belongings against covered perils like fire and theft.
New Hampshire renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all New Hampshire renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in New Hampshire is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in New Hampshire
New Hampshire can be hit by hurricanes, especially along the coast. Your renters insurance policy may pay to repair or replace your personal items damaged or destroyed by a windstorm.
Planning a move and wondering how to insure your belongings while they’re in transit from your old place to your new space? Learn more about how insurance may cover personal items while moving or in storage.
Discounts on New Hampshire renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in New Hampshire, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
How much does renters insurance cost in New Hampshire?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many factors affect the cost of renters insurance in New Hampshire, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get a New Hampshire renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.