Is renters insurance required in New Mexico?
Renters insurance isn't required by New Mexico law, but your landlord or building management company may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It may also pay for you to live elsewhere if you're unable to stay in your residence while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
New Mexico renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all New Mexico renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in New Mexico is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in New Mexico
New Mexico is a leading state for vehicle theft. Renters insurance may cover your personal belongings in a stolen vehicle, up to your policy’s limits and minus your deductible.
A standard renters policy won't cover floods. If you're concerned about flooding, consider a dedicated flood insurance policy.
Discounts on New Mexico renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in New Mexico, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
If you're looking for a new place, learn more about how to protect belongings in transit with insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
How much does New Mexico renters insurance cost?
You can buy New Mexico renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in New Mexico, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get a New Mexico renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.