New York home insurance
From Manhattan to the Adirondacks and Long Island to the Catskills, New York boasts some of the world's largest, most iconic cities, and incredible natural beauty across the rest of the state. New Yorkers are rightly proud of the variety their home offers. Whether you live upstate or in the Big Apple, Progressive is equally proud to offer customized, affordable home insurance perfectly suited to protecting your property and belongings.
How you're covered
New York doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy. The purpose of your policy's coverages is to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It’s important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in New York
Due to the huge variation in climate and lifestyle across the state, it isn't easy to generalize about claims in New York. For instance, New York City residents are much more prone to vandalism damage than residents in rural areas. Similarly, the state spans multiple climatic zones. Weather patterns are quite different in the NYC/Long Island area than in the rest of the state, especially when compared to higher elevation zones like the Catskills and Adirondack mountains.
Find out more about how property insurance in New York can protect you against damage caused by severe weather.
Homeowners in areas vulnerable to coastal storms may need to pay a separate deductible for damages caused by a windstorm.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
An umbrella policy from Progressive can extend your homeowners liability coverage up to an additional $5 million in liability protection.
How much is homeowners insurance in New York?
Your cost for New York homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in New York?
Fast facts about homes in New York
As of early 2023, New York has the lowest rate of homeownership of any state, at just 54%. Only the District of Columbia has a lower ownership rate than New York.
More than 40% of the state's population resides in New York City, even though the city represents less than 1% of the state's area.
Homes in upstate New York display several architectural styles, including Gothic, neoclassical, Queen Anne Revival, and even the modern Prairie style. Many are now museums open to the public.