New York RV insurance
Dover Stone Church, Letchworth State Park, Niagara Falls – New York is home to many beautiful attractions perfect for pulling an RV alongside and visiting. Whether you're on a long trip or just passing through, make sure you have proper coverage to meet state requirements to ensure your RV is protected against any threats and accidents.
What are New York's RV insurance requirements?
The state of New York requires that all drivers of motor vehicles, including Class A, B, and C motorhomes, carry minimum liability insurance. The coverage amounts are:
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person
- $50,000 for bodily injury for two or more people
- $10,000 in property damage per accident
New York state drivers are also required to carry personal injury protection coverage which can help pay for medical bills and lost wages in the event of an accident and uninsured motorist coverage which kicks in if you’re involved in an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance.
RV insurance doesn't have to break the bank. We offer liability policies for as little as $125/year*. Find out what your policy would cost with an online RV insurance quote for your motorhome or travel trailer.
New York RV insurance coverages
Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage
Bodily injury liability coverage pays for the cost of medical care for any injuries you cause or that someone sustains when you're at fault for an accident. Property damage liability helps pay the repair or replacement cost of another person's vehicle if you're at fault in an accident. Your liability coverage can also help cover legal costs if you're sued following an incident.
Comprehensive and collision coverage
Comprehensive and collision coverage helps pay for the repair or replacement cost of your RV if it's damaged in an accident. While this type of coverage isn't required by law, some lenders require you to carry coverage until the loan is paid off in full.
Comprehensive coverage protects against unexpected events outside your control, such as fire, theft, vandalism, weather related issues, glass breakage, and collisions with animals.
Collision coverage may cover damage from crashes, whether with another vehicle or a stationary object like a tree.
What if I live in my RV full-time?
Full-time RV insurance expands on the coverages of recreational RV insurance to meet the increased coverage needs of someone who lives in their RV for six months out of the year or more. Full-time RV insurance includes:
- Personal liability: Personal liability coverage may cover you if you’re liable for another party’s injuries or damages that occur while the RV is parked.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage may pay if someone gets hurt around or in your RV.
- Loss assessment: If an RV association charges you a fee, loss assessment coverage may help pay those fees.
Other Progressive RV coverages available in New York
Progressive offers a long list of RV insurance coverages available to help suit your needs, including:
Total loss replacement helps to pay to replace your RV if yours is totaled, provided it is less than five years old.
Roadside assistance covers the cost of a tow if your RV breaks down or gets a flat tire within 100 feet of a road.
Replacement cost/personal effects pays for replacing or repairing personal belongings damaged or lost in an accident.
Emergency expense coverage covers travel and hotel costs if your RV is disabled more than 50 miles from home.
Pet coverage pays your pet's veterinary expenses up to $1,000 if they're injured in a covered accident.
Pest damage protection can help pay for repairs when a wild animal like a bird or raccoon damages your RV.**
Learn about all the available RV insurance coverages.
How much is RV insurance in New York?
As with standard auto insurance, New York RV insurance rates are personal and based on many factors, including:
- Driving record: People with cleaner driving records may pay less for insurance.
- Coverage selection: The number and types of coverages you choose can impact your rate.
- Location: Where you live permanently and store your RV determines risk and how much you’ll pay.
Learn more about how RV insurance rates are calculated.
Not every RV is the same size, but we cover all kinds and sizes. Even if you've got a small pop-up trailer, you can get a pop-trailer insurance quote online.
How can I get lower rates for RV insurance in New York?
Discounts aren't the same in every state, but you may be able to save with these Progressive discounts:
- Paperless: Receive your documents through email and get a discount, too.
- Claim free renewal: If you've had no claims over the past year, you'll automatically receive a discount when your policy renews.
- Homeowner: If you own a home, you'll receive a discount on your RV insurance, even if we don’t insure it.
Find out more about all the RV insurance discounts we offer.