Is renters insurance required in Rhode Island?
Rhode Island state laws don't mandate renters insurance, but it might be required as part of your rental agreement. Having coverage to protect your possessions may be a viable reason to consider taking out a rental insurance policy, even if it's not required.
Rhode Island renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Rhode Island renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Rhode Island is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry and art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Rhode Island
Hurricanes and blizzards are the chief sources of weather-related incidents in Rhode Island, both of which can cause damage due to rain, wind, ice, frozen pipes, and other perils. Your Rhode Island renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits, minus your deductible.
Rhode Island rental homes, condos, and apartments can be subject to flooding from rising water levels – not just from the ocean, bays, and rivers, but also from heavy rains or snowmelt runoffs. While renters insurance doesn't cover damage from outside flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on Rhode Island renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters insurance in Rhode Island, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
How much is renters insurance in Rhode Island?
You can buy Rhode Island renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Your rate depends on specific factors like your credit score, location, and coverage limits. Learn more about how renters insurance cost is calculated.
Get a Rhode Island renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.