Renters insurance in Wisconsin
Get dependable renters insurance in The Badger State at an affordable price. Progressive offers both customized protection and discounts to lower your cost for renters insurance in Wisconsin. See how you can be covered and get a personalized renters insurance quote.
Is renters insurance required in Wisconsin?
Although renters insurance isn’t required by Wisconsin law, your landlord or the company that manages your apartment building, condo, or house may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you’re not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. Plus, your renters policy may pay for you to live elsewhere if you’re unable to stay in your residence while it’s being repaired or rebuilt because of a covered loss that has caused it to be unsafe or not suitable to live in.
Wisconsin renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Wisconsin renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Wisconsin is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Wisconsin
Though not traditionally included in what's known as Tornado Alley, Wisconsin has seen an increase in tornado activity during the summer months. In the winter months, heavy snowfall and the accompanying ice and snowmelt can also cause weather-related damages. Your Wisconsin renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Flash floods and overflowing rivers occur in Wisconsin. Rental homes and apartments in proximity to these situations – whether due to ice or debris jams, snow melts, or dam breaks, for example – can experience flooding from rising water levels. While renters insurance doesn't cover damage from flooding, a separate flood insurance policy may protect your belongings against flood damage.
Discounts on Wisconsin renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Wisconsin, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount.
What does Wisconsin renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Wisconsin, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.