Wisconsin RV insurance

Wisconsin has RV insurance requirements depending on the type of recreational vehicle you own. Making sure you have enough Wisconsin RV insurance to meet the minimum state requirements, as well as protect your vehicle from potential threats, can make any weekend trip or year-round RV living more enjoyable.

5 min to read

Explore Progressive's editorial standards for Answers articles to find out why you can trust the insurance information you find here.

What are Wisconsin's RV insurance requirements?

The type of RV you own determines your RV insurance requirements. A Class A, B, or C motorhome is classified as a motor vehicle because it can move under its own power and, as such, it must meet the same liability coverage requirements as any other motor vehicle on the road. In Wisconsin, these are:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury coverage per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury coverage per accident
  • $10,000 for property damage per accident

The good news is that non-motorized RVs don't require a dedicated liability policy; any damage they cause in the event of an accident would be covered under the liability coverage of the towing vehicle. However, you may want to consider carrying comprehensive and collision coverage for any non-motorized RV to protect it against any damage it may receive while pulling it behind your vehicle.

RV insurance doesn't have to break the bank. We offer liability policies for as little as $125/year* Find out what your policy would cost with an RV insurance quote for your motorhome or travel trailer.

What's included in a Wisconsin RV insurance policy?

Bodily injury and property damage liability coverage

Liability coverage is required by law in almost every state and consists of two types of coverage: bodily injury and property damage. This coverage pays for damages you cause to another person if you're at fault in an accident.

Bodily injury liability coverage pays medical fees and expenses another person incurs as a result of an accident you cause. Property damage liability coverage pays the repair or replacement cost of another person's property if you crash into it or otherwise damage it in any way.

Comprehensive and collision coverage

Comprehensive coverage and collision coverage pays for repairs to your property, not another person's. Although you aren't required to carry this type of coverage, many lenders make it a requirement if you choose to finance your RV.

Comprehensive coverage protects against acts outside of your control, such as damage from severe weather, fire, theft, and vandalism. It even protects against collisions with wild animals. If you don't live in your RV full-time, comprehensive insurance is beneficial as it offers coverage even when the vehicle is being stored for the off-season.

Collision insurance protects against damage caused by an accident with another vehicle or object. This includes other cars, RVs, or even stationary items like a road sign or a tree.

What if I live in my RV full-time?

Recreational RV insurance policies provide most of the same protections as a full-time RV insurance policy. Still, a full-time RV insurance policy extends those protections beyond what they might offer otherwise. The most important differences:

  • Personal liability: A full-time RV insurance policy protects you from liability even while the RV is parked.
  • Medical payments: Medical payments coverage helps cover the cost of medical bills if someone is injured in or around your RV.
  • Loss assessment: RV parks sometimes have associations that pay to make repairs to the park. Loss assessment coverage helps pay any fees imposed by agencies like this.

Other Progressive RV coverages available in Wisconsin

There's a long list of RV insurance coverages available to help suit your needs, including:

Total loss replacement helps pay for a brand-new RV if yours is totaled, provided it isn't more than five years old.

Roadside assistance covers the cost of towing to a repair shop if your RV gets a flat tire, breaks down, or otherwise can't move on its own.

Replacement cost/personal effects pays to repair or replace your personal belongings if they're lost in a covered incident.

Vacation liability coverage helps pay for injuries in or around your RV, up to $10,000. This amount can be increased to $50,000 with additional fees.

Pet coverage covers up to $1,000 in veterinary expenses if your pet is hurt in an accident.

Pest Damage Protection℠ can help pay for repairs when a wild animal like a bird or raccoon damages your RV.**

Roof Protection Plus® can pay to replace or repair the damaged roof of your motorhome, even if the damage is the result of normal wear and tear.**

Learn about all our available RV insurance coverages.

How much is RV insurance in Wisconsin?

Wisconsin RV insurance rates depend on multiple factors, including:

  • Type and model: Newer and larger RVs are often more expensive to insure than older models due to the higher cost to replace them if something happens.
  • Usage: The more often you use your RV, the more likely you'll be in an accident. As a result, the cost to insure the RV is usually higher.
  • Driving experience: An RV isn't the easiest vehicle to operate or tow, so those with more experience tend to see lower rates.

Learn more about how RV insurance rates are calculated.

Pro tip:

Not every RV is the same size, but we cover all kinds and sizes. Even if you've got a small pop-up trailer, you can get a pop-up trailer insurance quote online!

How can I get lower rates for RV insurance in Wisconsin?

Discounts aren't the same in every state, but you may be able to save with our discounts like:

  • Multi-policy discount: If you bundle multiple policies like home and auto together, you can reduce your overall premium.
  • Pay in full: Pay for your policy upfront and receive a lower rate.
  • Claim free renewal: When you renew your policy, you can receive a lower rate if you've made no claims.

Find out more about all the RV insurance discounts we offer.


Customize your coverage to fit your RV and your unique needs.

Quote RV insurance

Call a rep

You'll speak with a licensed representative who will guide you through everything.

Call 1-866-749-7436

Through an agent

Connect with a licensed, independent agent near you.

Find an agent in Wisconsin

Hit the open road with RV insurance from Progressive

Learn more about our RV insurance offering.