How you're covered
Wyoming doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It’s important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Wyoming
In Wyoming, wildfires and tornadoes can be a concern. The good news is that your home insurance policy may cover damage to your home and belongings caused by certain perils, up to the limits of your policy. Learn more about how home insurance may cover storm damage.
Flooding is another potential risk in Wyoming, especially if you live near a large body of water like the Snake River or Flaming Gorge Reservoir. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
Bundle home and auto insurance with Progressive to earn a multi-policy discount. We make it simple to get a bundles quote, even from your phone.
How much is homeowners insurance in Wyoming?
Your cost for homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you own in Wyoming?
If you own a rental property in Wyoming, get the right type of insurance policy to protect it. Learn more about landlord insurance policies and insurance for vacation or vacant homes.
Fast facts about homes in Wyoming
The Lakeview Historic District is one of Wyoming's oldest neighborhoods, built between 1880 and 1930.
Wyoming's homeownership rate is 72.1%, which is much higher than the national average. Harrison Ford, Sandra Bullock, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and other celebrities have a home in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
The median home cost in Wyoming is $272,700.
Get a homeowners insurance quote for your Wyoming home
We'll ask simple questions about your property, then you can customize your coverages and start date.
Speak with a licensed homeowners representative who can guide you through your quote.
Ask an agent
We'll connect you with a licensed independent agent near you.