Renters insurance in Colorado
If you're a tenant in Colorado, renters insurance offers financial protection against damages to, or theft of, your personal belongings that could otherwise be financially devastating. It also protects you against personal liability that might occur due to incidents in your home. Coverage is typically affordable and can be extended and customized to fit your needs. Get a quick and easy quote from Progressive for renters insurance anywhere in Colorado.
Is renters insurance required in Colorado?
Although renters insurance isn’t required by Colorado law, your landlord or the company that manages your apartment building, condo, or house may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you’re not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. Plus, your renters policy may pay for you to live elsewhere if you’re unable to stay in your residence while it’s being repaired or rebuilt because of a covered loss that has caused it to be unsafe or not suitable to live in.
Colorado renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Colorado renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Colorado is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry , art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider", to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Colorado
Colorful Colorado is renowned for its natural beauty, which comes with its share of potential risks too; the state is ranked among the top five for risk of natural disasters. Damage from perils that Coloradoans face, like wildfires and winter storms, may be covered by your Colorado renters insurance policy.
Tornadoes are a fact of life in Colorado. On average, Colorado sees 46 tornadoes a year. Your Colorado renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy’s limits, minus your deductible.
Discounts on Colorado renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Colorado, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.**
How much is renters insurance in Colorado?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Colorado, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.