Delaware homeowners insurance
If you're looking for homeowners insurance in Delaware, Progressive can provide you with customized, affordable coverage. Discover how homeowners insurance coverage works and the discounts Delawareans can access for their primary residence.
How you're covered
Delaware doesn't require home insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider."
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Keep in mind coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Delaware
Delaware may be the second-smallest state, but its weather conditions can be mighty. Among other common issues, high winds and coastal storms can cause roof leaks and even structural damage to your home. Learn how home insurance can cover damage caused by severe weather.
Storms and hurricanes can cause water levels to rise and flood homes, particularly along Delaware Bay and Rehoboth Bay. A flood insurance policy may protect your property and belongings against flood damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
Bundle home and auto insurance with Progressive to earn a multi-policy discount. We make it simple to get a bundled quote, even from your phone.
How much is homeowners insurance in Delaware?
Your cost for Delaware homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you've purchased in Delaware?
Fast facts about homeownership in Delaware
Sussex is home to pricey real estate, with houses typically selling for $1 million or more.
Delaware has a homeownership rate of 71.4%, significantly higher than the national average, according to Delaware State Housing Authority.
Despite being surrounded by the region's major metropolises, Delaware is home to more than 2,500 farms due to its moderate climate.