Is renters insurance required in Delaware?
Although renters insurance isn't required by Delaware law, a landlord or rental agency often will require it. Even if you aren't mandated to purchase renters insurance, it may help protect your belongings from certain perils like theft and fire. It may also pay for you to temporarily stay in a hotel if your apartment or residence is unlivable due to covered loss.
Delaware renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Delaware renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Delaware is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Delaware
In 2020, Delaware’s burglary rate ranked 33rd among states. Personal property coverage on your renters policy may help pay to replace stolen items, up to your policy’s limit and minus your deductible.
Are you moving in Delaware and need to insure your personal items while in transit? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Delaware renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Delaware, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does renters insurance in Delaware cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Delaware, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Get a Delaware renters insurance quote
Customize your coverages and limits when you quote online.
Call a rep
Talk to a licensed representative who can help you quote renters insurance.
Ask an agent
Connect with an independent agent in your neighborhood.