Renters insurance in Idaho
If you're renting your home in The Gem State, a renters insurance policy from Progressive offers affordable protection in case of damage caused by fire, theft, and other covered perils. And if a houseguest is injured at your residence, renters insurance may also protect you if you're liable. Learn what coverages are included and get a personalized renters insurance quote from Progressive.
Does Idaho require renters insurance?
No, renters insurance isn't a requirement by state law in Idaho. But if you're renting a home or a unit in a building, your landlord or property manager may require you to have a policy before you can move in. Having coverage to protect your possessions may be a viable reason to consider taking out a renters insurance policy, even if it's not required.
Idaho renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Idaho renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Idaho is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: may pay for legal fees and damages if you're liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Idaho
Idahoans can take comfort in knowing their home state is one of the safest in terms of property crime and violence. However, accidents, theft, and natural disasters do happen; your Idaho renters insurance may help protect your personal belongings in the case of burglary or damage from certain unforeseen circumstances like windstorms.
Discounts on Idaho renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Idaho, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! Progressive customers nationwide save an average of $28 on their Auto policy when they bundle their Auto and Renters policies.* We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
How much is renters insurance in Idaho?
You can buy Idaho renters insurance for less than a dollar a day.** Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Idaho, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.