How you're covered
Illinois doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy’s coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit, so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Remember, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It is important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in Illinois
Illinois sees its fair share of tornadoes and storms that can cause damage to your home. Dwelling coverage and personal property coverage on your homeowners policy may pay to repair or replace your home’s structure and belongings, up to your policy’s limits, minus your deductible. Learn more about how home insurance may cover damage caused by severe weather.
Residents who live in or near flood plains face flood risks to their properties, especially during rainier times of year. A separate flood insurance policy may help protect your home and belongings.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
Learn more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
How much is home insurance in Illinois?
Homeowners insurance rates in Illinois vary based on the location, size, and age of your home. Other factors influencing your rate include your policy’s coverages and limits. Learn more about the factors that affect home insurance pricing.