What Illinois motorcycle insurance coverage is needed?
You'll need to obtain proof of insurance before you can put your bike on the road or even register it. In Illinois, your motorcycle policy must meet certain minimum liability coverage limits:
- $25,000 in bodily injury per person
- $50,000 in total bodily injury per accident
- $20,000 in property damage per accident
Illinois also requires policies to include a minimum Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist bodily injury (UM/UIM BI) coverage of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. By default, policies include UM/UMI BI coverage equal to the policy's liability bodily injury limit, but drivers can choose to reject the excess coverage.
Progressive insures more motorcycles than any other provider, covering almost one-third of insured motorcyclists nationwide. With our online tool, you can get a motorcycle insurance quote in minutes and learn why so many riders choose Progressive.
What's included in a Progressive Illinois motorcycle insurance policy?
All of our policies with physical damage protection cover parts at their full replacement cost – without depreciation – and we always match the same kind of parts. If your bike uses parts from the original equipment manufacturer, we'll pay for OEM parts to fix it. If your bike uses custom parts, so will your repair. That means, if something happens to your bike, we'll pay to restore it to its pre-accident condition or better.
For anything you've added to your ride, there's accessory coverage, which protects modifications, upgrades, and customizations. Policies with physical damage protection automatically include $3,000 in accessories coverage, but you can increase that amount to as high as $30,000 as you make changes or upgrades to your ride.
Standard Progressive coverages
In addition to liability coverage and motorcycle uninsured motorist coverage that the law requires, many motorcyclists carry coverages that protect their bikes and themselves regardless of who's at fault. These coverages are popular with motorcyclists because of the increased risks of motorcycling. Medical payments coverage can pay medical bills for you and your passenger when a covered accident results in injury, regardless of fault. Collision coverage pays for repairs to your bike that result from a collision, regardless of fault. It even protects you if the collision doesn't involve another motorist, such as if you hit a tree. Comprehensive coverage pays for damages that result from bad luck or forces beyond your control, including fire, theft, and natural disasters.
Learn more about Progressive motorcycle insurance coverages.
Other Progressive motorcycle coverages available in Illinois
The coverages above are the most common, but you can customize your policy even more with add-ons like:
- Total loss coverage protects against depreciation by paying the full MSRP of a current model year of your bike, less your deductible, in the event of a total loss. It is available for bikes no more than one model year old on a new policy or two years old on a renewal.
- Roadside assistance can pay for a tow to the nearest mechanic and can be expanded to cover incidental costs like hotel or transportation if you're away from home when the accident happens.
- Carried contents protects any belongings or personal effects (cellphones, hunting gear, etc.) you carry on the bike with you against theft or damage resulting from a covered accident.
- Enhanced injury protection protects you from the long-term consequences of a crash with as much as $250 a week for two years if you're unable to work because of injuries sustained during a collision.
How much is Progressive motorcycle insurance in Illinois?
Insurance prices vary greatly because they're calculated from so many factors: your age, location, riding habits, accident history, coverage limits, and more. While your circumstances make a difference, Illinois is considered a medium-cost state, so premiums are in line with the national average based on Progressive’s pricing. Learn more about motorcycle insurance cost.
Where to find cheap motorcycle insurance in Illinois
Progressive is the #1 motorcycle insurer in the country. Our customizable policies make it easy to get the coverage you want with a rate you can afford, but you can get even lower prices with our many discounts, like:
- Pay in full
- Motorcycle endorsement
- Safety course
Learn more about available Progressive motorcycle insurance discounts.