Missouri renters insurance
Find renters insurance in Missouri through Progressive with a customized, affordable policy. We provide numerous discounts and personalized protection for renters in the Show Me State. See how you're covered and receive a quote.
Is renters insurance required in Missouri?
Renters insurance isn't required by Missouri law, but your landlord or building management company may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It may also pay for you to live elsewhere if you're unable to stay in your residence while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Missouri renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Missouri renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Missouri is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Missouri
In 2020, Missouri ranked 14th in the country for burglary rate per 100,000 inhabitants. If your belongings are stolen, renters insurance may pay to replace those items, up to your coverage limits and minus your deductible. Learn more about how renters insurance covers theft.
Are you moving and wondering how to insure your belongings while they're in transit? Learn more about insurance for your property while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Missouri renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Missouri, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
Bundle renters with auto insurance and save! We make it simple to get a bundled quote and earn a multi-policy discount, even from your phone.
What does Missouri renters insurance cost?
You can buy Missouri renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Missouri, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.