Is renters insurance required in Oklahoma?
Renters insurance isn't required by Oklahoma law, but your landlord or building management company may mandate a renters policy before you can move in. Even if you're not required to carry renters insurance, a renters policy is generally affordable and may cover your belongings against certain perils. It may also pay for you to live elsewhere if your residence isn’t suitable to leave in while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Oklahoma renters insurance coverages
Check out the four standard coverages on nearly all Oklahoma renters insurance policies:
- Personal property protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics.
- Loss of use helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
- Personal liability protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
For tenants renting apartments, condos, or homes, the best renters insurance in Oklahoma is always a policy with customized coverage limits. Here are some extra options for when you need more protection:
- Certain valuable items, like jewelry, art and collectibles, may have specific limits on your renters policy. If your items exceed the limit, you may be able to purchase an endorsement for your policy, also known as "adding a rider," to cover the item for its value.
- Personal injury: May pay for legal fees and damages if you’re liable for slander or defamation.
- Water back-up: Water that backs up through sewers or drains or discharges from a sump pump may not be covered by your standard renters policy. Water back-up coverage may pay for the damage to your belongings and water removal costs.
Learn more about renters insurance coverages.
Common claims in Oklahoma
Large storm fronts with frequent lightning, heavy rain, and hail may cause damage to your personal property. Your Oklahoma renters insurance policy may pay for damaged personal belongings from a covered peril, up to your policy's limits and minus your deductible.
Planning a move and wondering how to insure your belongings while they’re in transit? Learn more about insurance for your belongings while moving or in storage.
Discounts on Oklahoma renters insurance
Progressive offers several discounts to help lower the cost of renters policies in Oklahoma, such as:
- Quote in advance
- Pay in full
- Secured/gated community
See more of our available renters insurance discounts.
What does Oklahoma renters insurance cost?
You can buy Oklahoma renters insurance for less than $1/day.* Many components influence the cost of renters insurance in Oklahoma, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.