South Dakota homeowners insurance
From Deadwood, to Vermilion, to the Corn Palace, and a stop at every state park in between, South Dakota offers its residents a rewarding lifestyle. There's a lot for South Dakotans to appreciate about their home, and Progressive is happy to help residents of the Mount Rushmore State protect their homes with customized, affordable insurance. Check out coverages, discounts, and more information about home insurance in South Dakota.
How you're covered
South Dakota doesn't require homeowners insurance by law, but if you finance your home, your lender may require you to have a homeowners insurance policy in place. Your policy's coverages are designed to safeguard your property and assets. A typical policy will include the following:
- Dwelling coverage protects your home's structure (roof, walls, etc.) as well as attached structures, like a porch.
- Other structures coverage protects detached structures, such as a fence or shed.
- Personal property coverage protects your personal belongings, including furniture, clothing, and electronics. Certain items, like jewelry, art, and collectibles, are often only covered up to a specific limit so you may want to purchase an endorsement to schedule these items on your policy at the coverage amount needed, also known as "adding a rider.”
- Personal liability coverage protects you financially if you're legally responsible for another person's injuries or damage to their property.
- Medical payments to others pays for medical expenses due to a covered occurrence.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover costs associated with an increase in living expenses, up to your policy's limit, if you're unable to stay in your home while it's being repaired or rebuilt due to a covered loss.
Keep in mind, coverage under your policy is subject to exclusions and conditions within your policy. It’s important to read your policy to understand the coverage provided.
Learn more about homeowners insurance coverages.
Common claims in South Dakota
South Dakota averages 36 tornadoes a year. Severe thunderstorms, sometimes accompanied by hail, are a regular occurrence in warmer months, and heavy snow and ice storms are common in the winter. Typical home insurance policies may cover damage from severe weather (including hail, wind, and thunderstorms) up to your policy's limits (minus your deductible). Get more information about how home insurance may cover storm damage.
Helping you save
Progressive offers several discounts to help you save on homeowners insurance policies. Some of the most common discounts include:
- Alarm System
- Quote in Advance
- New Purchase
See more about the home insurance discounts we offer.
Bundle home and auto insurance with Progressive to earn a multi-policy discount. We make it simple to get a bundled quote, even from your phone.
How much is homeowners insurance in South Dakota?
Your cost for South Dakota homeowners insurance varies based on many components, including your location, type of home, and coverage limits. Learn more about factors affecting home insurance pricing.
Are you looking to rent out a home you own in South Dakota?
Fast facts about homes in South Dakota
South Dakota's homeownership rate is 71.1%, considerably higher than the national average.
Airbnb offers some unusual rental accommodations in South Dakota, including an authentic 1880 homestead cabin.
The Cathedral Historic District in Sioux Falls is home to many Victorian mansions with elaborate architecture and exotic materials and was built by early residents to display their wealth.